I'm custom Ordering a Mahogany strat-style guitar with a hard rock maple top/cap. The neck will be quartersawn maple with an ebony fretboard. I want a screaming, thick-sounding humbucker that's reasonably clear and ONLY does metal. I don't care at all about clean tones or versatility. The tones I'm going for would be somewhat similar to the 3 metal bands I listed in the title.

Also my amp is a Marshall JVM 410H.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an 18-volt EMG 81. I might get another BKP Pickup, right now I have a Miracle Man in my strat and it sounds great. Suggestions?
since you're only doing metal. Blackouts, Bill Lawrence 500-XL, Dimarzio X2N are all good candidates
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Seymour Duncan: Duncan Distortion

I have that in my ESP SV and it sounds so good
a tad bass-heavy but i love it
Gooby Pls.
Quote by Pacarazzi
I'm custom Ordering a Mahogany strat-style guitar with a hard rock maple top/cap. The neck will be quartersawn maple with an ebony fretboard. I want a screaming, thick-sounding humbucker that's reasonably clear and ONLY does metal. I don't care at all about clean tones or versatility. The tones I'm going for would be somewhat similar to the 3 metal bands I listed in the title.

Also my amp is a Marshall JVM 410H.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an 18-volt EMG 81. I might get another BKP Pickup, right now I have a Miracle Man in my strat and it sounds great. Suggestions?

You hit it on the head with the 18-volt EMG 81. That is exactly what all of those bands you listed use. I love them through a nice tube amp, but they sound God awful through SS amps. It should sound BRUTAL through your JVM410H. If your looking for a neck pickup the EMG 60 is a beautiful choice for an active pickup. Good Luck!!!
joshuaestock.com
Well for Bodom....Laiho uses Blackouts (Seymour Duncan)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Bare knuckle warpigs are crushing for metal and hand wound specifically to what u want if u go for them

Or an emg hz with the alexi laiho pickup booster, i played one the other day and it did what it needed to do very well
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
You hit it on the head with the 18-volt EMG 81. That is exactly what all of those bands you listed use./QUOTE]
Lamb of God uses Seymour Duncan passives. Alexi uses EMG passives, Phil from AILD uses EMG 85s. If you're looking for those band's tones, I wouldn't get an 81.
either a EMG 81, or SD blackout AHB-1. my ESP Edwards E-AL-166 has a SD blackout and i use it for playing bodem ALL THE TIME. its got 14 DB less buzz that its EMG friends. but EMG 81 Will give you thew same sound just more buzz.

AND BTW alexi's guitars feature either a EMG HZ F-H2 active or a SD AHB-1 Active Blackout.

trust me i and the biggest COBHC fan out there i even spent 1600 dollars on his signature black and pink esp edwards and got it imported to the us.

his alexi-600 from last year esp came with SD blackouts now i think it uses single high-output EMG-HZ F-H2 Active Pickup so ur not very smart buddy
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Last edited by 6 STRING NOOB at Mar 24, 2009,
I use a emg 81-85 combo in my Jackson.
I play stuff like Amon Amarth on it though. So im usualy in 3 steps down or drop A
My SG is currently what i play stuff like Bodom, BLS, LoG, Entombed, Mayhem, Motley Crue and... Ugly Kid Joe on, and its Stock pickups work fine. But if you want a really good metal passive, Check out Dimarzio Super distortions Or you could be like most people out of the Richmond, Virgina metal scene and use the 18V EMG mod with an 81 bridge 60 neck Best thing to do is, go to a guitar shop, Check out guitars that are similar to yours specs and try ones with different pups in them to find what you like
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by JEST87
EMG 81 ... I love them through a nice tube amp, but they sound God awful through SS amps.
I disagree. I use them with my POD 2.0 and X3 and they sound fantastic. I also used them through my Marshall 8100 Valvestate.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
off topic, ^^^ loved ur as i lay diying - the sound of truth cover on youtube
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB
Thanks! Have you seen my two originals yet?
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
Quote by KillrBuckeye

i have and they are amazing. I would download them, but alas...I am a Zune using misfit. And to add some more pickups to my list so im not spamming the thread, the SD JB, DiMarzio D-Activators, DiMarzio EVO ive heard is a surprisingly good metal pickup
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by KillrBuckeye

of course,i like the rising better than arrival personally but both are great songs with nice riffs, good job man i also go the tabs fo the AILD song off ur webpage, and congrats on the little one, i believe his name was even if my memory is correct. i bet he'll have red hair too lol, its good to see people from the detroit area not listening to that rap crap. it seems like 90% of people like that stuff, but i like music that requires instrument and multiple people not some computer gereated BS with some guy talking over it and a retardly loud bassline

also april 15th in grand rapids is the AS i lay dying/ children of bodem, lamb of god concert. duno if ur interested but its bound to be one heck of show
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Last edited by 6 STRING NOOB at Mar 24, 2009,
invaders are nice, im more of a active pickup man myself. but some of my BS "cheap" guitars are passive and they have a warmth actives lack, but for metal id go with actives over passives
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
If you are going to go active definitely get the Blackouts. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between the BOs and EMGs but the BOs do sound a bit better and a set is cheaper than a set of EMGs.
Quote by JD Red LP
If you are going to go active definitely get the Blackouts. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between the BOs and EMGs but the BOs do sound a bit better and a set is cheaper than a set of EMGs.

i agree the BO are 173.99 for a set and EMG's you can get the ZW set for 208.99 and the Kerry king set for 240.99 with the 20 db gain switch. or the pickups are 105.125 a peice seperatly.

go with the BO if you want to go active.

i love them in my damien B-2 which i only got cuz of the v shape and the bevels that make it look like a stealth bomber.

and i make a lot of typos since i type fast. so forgive me you know what i meant to say
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Yea, +1 to everyone whos saying blackouts, more bang for your buck, seeing as its cheaper for a set of Blackouts over EMGS and I think they sound better. If your going passive, get a dimarzio D sonic or something of that matter, the one in my petrucci gets pretty f-in sweet, and thats basswood, if your running that pup through a mahogany guitar then you'll be good.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I'm only getting a bridge pickup. So I'm probably going to go active, as much as I loved my BKP pickup. If I don't go active it would probably be for the Alexi Laiho setup, nothing else has particularly caught my attention.

SO it's either the EMG 81 or the SD Blackouts, possibly the HZ2..

what about an 81 with a pa2 gainboost or the afterburner?
it all depends on the sound u want. what i would do is go to a GC in your area, play with some guitars with those pickups you are looking at, shouldnt be too hard, try a ESP mtm-1 mick thomson, or esp alexi600 from 2008 for the SD BO, and lots of guitars come with emg 81 in the bridge. such as the epi zack wyld guitars, and if you can find one u can try a BC rich kerry king signature, that has the 81 with 20 db gain pa2 for max distortion
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Quote by Lewadra
Well for Bodom....Laiho uses Blackouts (Seymour Duncan)

Nope, he's back with EMG and has a signature pickup out soon
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Black-Outs IMO, much more organic sounding than EMG's from what I can tell. Also look into the Bareknuckle Warpig, the most unversatile, straight up metal humbucker they make, all the rest of the contemporary humbucker's do metal amazingly as well in there own special ways, but the Warpig is strictly a metal pickup.
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB

I thought you were talking to me haha....I have a "sound of Truth" cover on Youtube as well.
joshuaestock.com
Quote by KillrBuckeye
I disagree. I use them with my POD 2.0 and X3 and they sound fantastic. I also used them through my Marshall 8100 Valvestate.

That is from my experience, but I have never run it through a POD. I have the rack version of the POD and its' awesome for heavy stuff.
joshuaestock.com
EMG's are what most of those bands are using anyways, though I believe now Alexi has switched to the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, at least a couple of his recent live shots indicate that's what he's using.

The 2009 EMG's were made to match the blackouts, but the blackouts still have a better overall "humbucking" quality than the EMG's, and still give you that boost. Either way, they should give you the heavy punch you're looking for for that sort of thing

<--- is a fan of most of these bands, and 2 main guitars are EMG loaded.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by PCSpeaker
Nope, he's back with EMG and has a signature pickup out soon

his 2008 models used SD BO, the new 2009's have EMG hz f2 active i believe. llok at GC or MF and you can see
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
SInce I'm only getting a bridge pickup price doesn't matter too much to me. Also, since I want an extremely intense metal sound, wouldn't it be GOOD that the EMG sounds less organic? My other guitar is going to be for the "soul" and and more bluesy rock. I want an intense, thick, and cutting tone on this guitar.
Quote by Pacarazzi
SInce I'm only getting a bridge pickup price doesn't matter too much to me. Also, since I want an extremely intense metal sound, wouldn't it be GOOD that the EMG sounds less organic? My other guitar is going to be for the "soul" and and more bluesy rock. I want an intense, thick, and cutting tone on this guitar.

Is the guitar only going to have a bridge pickup?
Quote by WantzChas
Is the guitar only going to have a bridge pickup?

EPIC FAIL.....

he said HE WAS ONLY CHANGING THE BRIDGE PICKUP. READ BEFORE YOU POST
Guitar - Ebay 20/20

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Children of Bodom uses Passive EMG's.
As I Lay Dying uses Active EMG's.
Lamb of God uses Seymour Duncans.

Any Active pickup will work.
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
Although overall I didn't like this pickup very much, the Burstbucker pro can pull off some lamb of god tones. IMO it's not good for cleans, and not great at blues either which was what it was supposed to do lol. I prefer my Rio Grande BBQ bucker for most things, but it is darker.
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB
EPIC FAIL.....

he said HE WAS ONLY CHANGING THE BRIDGE PICKUP. READ BEFORE YOU POST

haha yeah..the guitar will ne simple. 1 pickup (bridge), and a volume knob. and thats it. maybe a gain boost or something, if anyone has good suggestions.