What will 2010's music be like? And define the 00s as best as you can. (LONG)

00s has seen the internet take over as the main source of getting music heard. Radio is irrelevant and mainstream in general has severed any ties it had with real music fans. There's always been a mainstream and underground side of music, but this decade has seen "underground" split into "overground" and traditional underground. What I mean is that many indie artists and myspace bands that were underground have gotten over that. They still might not be mainstream, but they are mainstream in all their little niches and subgenres. Some have even gotten radio play, but don't last long. To sum it up

Mainstream has been milked dry. The whole modern rock sound is filled with whiney buttrock
(mixture of post-grunge and nu metal). From Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, Trapt, Three Days Grace. There's also the pop-punk/emocore faction like My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, Red Jump Suit Apparatus, Panic At The Disco. And let's not forget the "90s bunch" who have stayed at the top. Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Velvet Revolver (made of older bands), Audioslave (see VR), Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, etc...

Rap has became what glam metal was in the 80s. Just a huge mockery of what the genre used to stand for. I will not name all the one hit wonders with either lil' or some misspelled title as their name. Crunk, 2 step, booty hop, whatever you want to call it, has been the main "new" sound. Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy, Lil' Jon, T.I., are all very popular and reaching the top charts. Gangsta rap has kinda died down but still popular with 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Eminem (although more poppy in style).

Pop music has just been a mixture of 90s pop with more hip hop/r&b influence. It's gotten more dancey in the last few years though. Timbaland is this decade's Phil Spector in terms of influence. Justim Timberlake, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Fergie, Nelly Furtado, Usher, Rihanna are this decades most popular icons.

The recent "latin" craze has been reggaeton with it's monotonous beat. Sean Paul, Daddy Yankee, Shakira have all seen worldwide acclaim.

Country music has gotten even further from it's roots. Now you turn on a country station and it
sounds like some country version of some pop/rock star. Some artists have remained loyal such as Josh Turner, Brad Paisley, Dixie Chicks.

IMO, the best mainstream artists this decade were various artists who blended a lot of styles
together which can't really be labeled one thing. OutKast, Gorillaz, Gnarls Barkley, M.I.A., and Kanye West. They have an open mindness and good exploration factor that combines with pop much like the Beatles did in the 60s.

Overground is all the bands that have been either been labeled "indie" at one point but signed on or are still indie in the true sense but have gained popularity through numerous websites, forums, hipsters, and just open minded people in general. The whole indie scene from The Strokes, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Decemberists, Animal Collective, TV On The Radio are like a internet mainstream. Occasionally in the mainstream (Kings Of Leon recently), but still on the fringes (at least here in U.S.)

Metal music has become the "cool" thing again this decade. I'd say Guitar Hero has a little to do with this. It's no longer the weirdos who listen to it, but average looking teens. I'm surprised at how many people I've met are black/death/thrash metal fans. Metalcore has seen the most attention with bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, and Killswitch Engage becoming overground.Even post-rock, prog. rock, sludge, post-metal, post-hardcore, mathcore has gotten overground. It's been a expansive decade for complex music in general. Godspeed You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Muse, Mars Volta, Isis, Botch, Coheed & Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Battles are as common on the internet as seeing a rickroll.

Rap has had it's southern renaissance. From the ATL sounds of OutKast to chopped and screwed sounds from Houston, the south has won this decade in terms of prominence. Alternative/abstract hip hop has became popular with Common, Dalek, Madvillian, Saul Williams and remains conscious in this day of indulgence rap.

Besides the whole "indie" scene, the electronic/dance scene has gained the most steam in the overground. Daft Punk and Radiohead are the two most important and opposite artists that describe this genre. DP has created infectious beats that make you want to dance all night and are very extroverted. This style has many numerous artists that have gotten big over the net airwaves. Many have mixed with indie/punk sound. LCD Soundsystem, Klaxons, MGMT, Ratatat, Foals, 3Oh3! On the other hand, RH has created a desolate, sparse, yet complex sound that's more for late night listenings. Artists such as Burial, The Field, The Knife, Amon Tobin, Portishead, Caribou, Postal Service are mainstay on college radio waves and last.fmers. Older styles like trance, techno, house, hardcore have all branched into numerous fields of every liking. Even chiptune music has gained steam with the likes of Crystal Castles, and vgm in general is now the cool thing to listen to. Whereas it used to just be the awkward nerdy types who listened to that. Now everybody wants to be a geeky especially after Napolean Dynamite.

Underground is still all the varieties of genres that have either lost flavor with most (blues, country, jazz, classical), sets of experimental sound artists (avant garde, noise), ethnic traditional music from all over the world, and countless local and small bands that may have a few hundred fans. This is where most music is yet to be explored. I'm talking bands from Mongolia who throat sing to noise artists whose vomit is their instrument to classical composers who still compose in the traditional since. There has been many instances of many obscure music reaching the overground, but not the mainstream really. Fans and artists of underground music are true gems in my book. They will like music whether there's a myspace or rateyourmusic.com for them.

Below is all speculation

Now that I've got that cleared up partially, I can get on about the 10s. Radio will finally slip into oblivion later in the decade, and internet will be the main thing for sure. CDs will be obsolete and downloading either legally or illegal will be only way. (well besides LPs becoming popular again). Some new format will be created that's better quality than mp3s and will become the next big thing. Podcasting and hundred of local radio waves will be at the touch of your phone/music device/handheld game. The mainstream of the 00s will be an old hat. Generation Y will be the main contributors to new music and it will bear influence from the digital age of 90s/00s.

Where everything is at the touch of a button and games were customizable. Music will also do this. Some new technology will be created or come to the masses that will be like a "creative music manipulator" that fits in the palm of your hands. You will be able to create mash-ups on the fly, add different instruments to songs, change tempos, rearrange the scales, etc... There is something like this actually, but not in a easy for anybody type device yet.

I also envision mind music that actually is mind and body music. Music that morphs with present mood, heartbeat, or though processes. Virtual concerts will also become popular. U23D is a good indicator and how movie theaters are getting back into 3D for CGI movies. Now bands will be able to make more money and publicity through virtual concerts where you pay a price to see a virtual band in a venue. Even streamed 3D concerting.

As far as music goes, I already said the mainstream as we know it will cease or at least only be for the older gens and few young. At one point or another, radio waves will have to increase number of stations for a limitless amount of formats. The overground music as mentioned earlier will be influential and be mass combined and mixed to create all kinds of breeds of music. Like country and r&b from the 40s formed rock n roll. Some new type of music combining hip-hop, indie, electronica, and metal will be popular. You can already count on numerous M.I.A.s with their own backlog of styles under their belts. The sounds of electronic music will explode into a huge sprawl of colors as laptops, pda, handheld instruments become easier to access and create music with. Music will be more genuine and at least positively or negatively over the top and trying to create a statement.

Last but not least, the term "global pop" will actually be the main term of how things are gonna be defined. As the world becomes smaller and music continues to reach across borders, then expect all rhythms and melodies of the world to be explored everywhere where there is internet access. Whereas Paul Simon or Steve Reich went to visit other cultures years ago to find musical similarities and new sounds, everybody will be doing it over the net. You want to create a mash-up of some Chinese glitch mixed with French urban bluegrass on your creative music manipulator, then so be it. The old western world of music is gonna be shaken up whether you like it or not as China, Brazil, and India keep developing and become influential worldwide.
Last edited by electr8r at Mar 23, 2009,
2010 is when I'll start my band. Music will be produced epically from my shredding guitar.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Uhh 2010 will be basically the same as 2009 and 2008

laden with girls like Katy Perry, pop wonder hits and more synthensized rnb.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
go listen to Animal Collective. like it or not, that is what music in the next decade will sound like.

edit: pitchfork.com will control all music that isnt metal. as proof of this, i point out that nearly every indie band mentioned in TS's post is well known because of pitchfork
Last edited by thelurker at Mar 23, 2009,
My comments, Kayne is a self entitled talentless prick, and the Chili Peppers were better in the 80's. Outkast is a 90's group. The White Stripes have never been indie except in record label, and don't fit the sort of post-poprock whiny tinny sound of a fair bit of genre-indie (I'm talking all these dude with a strat and fender amp whining about life indie bands), ignoring the bands that label themselves as indie and then just rape any style they want (Killers I'm looking at you).
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Eminored
Hopefully I will lose my virginity sometime in that decade.

Awe.

Great report on music up there, mad props cause you seem to know what you're talking about. I feel just about the same with you on everything you said. I hope 2010 will be better, but I doubt it. Music has been going down at a steady pace for a while now and it's going to continue until someone comes along and brings 'er back up. I would have a band going, but current legal issues prevent it. Hopefully by the summer I will be out of all this trouble and I'll be able to continue with my plans.
Quote by zekk
My comments, Kayne is a self entitled talentless prick, and the Chili Peppers were better in the 80's. Outkast is a 90's group. The White Stripes have never been indie except in record label, and don't fit the sort of post-poprock whiny tinny sound of a fair bit of genre-indie (I'm talking all these dude with a strat and fender amp whining about life indie bands), ignoring the bands that label themselves as indie and then just rape any style they want (Killers I'm looking at you).

Listen to the White Stripes first album...how can you say "Little People" isn't indie? What are we even defining indie as anyway?
"I sorta don't trust anyone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"
-Jack White
Hopefully we see the death of (c)rap in that decade. The return of bands with vocalists that don't feel the urge to scream at the top of their lungs, and finally.....The next Guns N' Roses album
Quote by timo1
I used to go on the computer in the morning and look up 'naked female breasts' on Google.
It came up with a picture of a duck
2010's music will be 2 years of Brittany Spears-esque pop sung by the newly consenting adult likes of Taylor Hicks and Miley Cyrus. On December 20th, 2012, my band will become uber-famous and I will be Times' Man of the Year & People's Sexiest Man Alive.

And then the world will end in some improbable way that no one saw coming on Dec. 21st...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Last edited by Blow Me at Mar 23, 2009,
Quote by Blow Me
2010's music will be 2 years of Brittany Spears-esque pop sung by Taylor Hicks and Miley Cyrus. On December 20th, 2012, my band will become uber-famous and I will be Times' Man of the Year & People's Sexiest Man Alive.

And then the world will end in some improbable way that no one saw coming on Dec. 21st...

i agree with a lot of what you stated in the top section didnt read much of the speculation part but i like
Quote by lespaul5391
Listen to the White Stripes first album...how can you say "Little People" isn't indie? What are we even defining indie as anyway?

I define indie mainly as the sort of jangly pop crap most people think indie is. Some's better (Su*howeveryouspellit* stevens comes to mind, aswell as mogwai), but it isn't what the mass populace thinks is indie.

The white stripes are more garage and minimalist then anything else, blues aswell.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by LondonGeetarist
Hopefully we see the death of (c)rap in that decade. The return of bands with vocalists that don't feel the urge to scream at the top of their lungs, and finally.....The next Guns N' Roses album

Agreed. Screaming is definitely the popular thing right now among the "hip" kids. I wish rap would go back to roots, it doesn't need to disappear completely though.
Unfortunately I think the mainstream scene will be full of more annoying auto-tune voices and Disney *****s. Rock will also unfortunately probably be dominated by screamo or new genres branched off screamo.

In other news, I think Kanye West will finally come out of the closet and Britney Spears will continue to, for god knows what reason, still have listeners.

And thats my prediction for the decade of 2010.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
the 2000s had some good music, if you were willing to look. not as much good stuff as the 90's, but bands like Muse, The Strokes, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, and many other bands produced high quality music.

for the 2010s. i dunno, but i hope prog rock comes back in a very big way. moar muse and mars volta
Godspeed and ISIS aren't that popular anywhere. Especially Godspeed. If you like Godspeed you probably don't know anyone else who likes them besides the person who introduced you to them or other cliquey circles.

Music in 2010 will be the same as it is now. The mainstream will be mainstream and the indie will be indie.

**** will just continue to mount, and some artists will crawl out from under it while others will be buried and forgotten.

Enjoy the new Green Day album.
Quote by apm505
Godspeed and ISIS aren't that popular anywhere. Especially Godspeed. If you like Godspeed you probably don't know anyone else who likes them besides the person who introduced you to them or other cliquey circles.

Music in 2010 will be the same as it is now. The mainstream will be mainstream and the indie will be indie.

**** will just continue to mount, and some artists will crawl out from under it while others will be buried and forgotten.

Enjoy the new Green Day album.
I agree with all that you just said, especially the bolded.
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
I mean "indie" as an overarching lump of what "alternative" music turned into this decade. Not really a genre, but an overall style that has been the offshoot of punk in an introspective, experimental, genuine, and almost immature way. It's really hard to explain, just like jazz is hard to explain. A genre that uses the blues note, improvisation, swung note, and instrumental exploration. That's a very wide definition that can cover all kinds of stuff, but jazz mainly gets used to describe a certain style when you hear you just know it's jazz. And everything from Jelly Roll Morton to Ornette Coleman to Tom Waits has been lumped under jazz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock

Look at the 2000s section. That sums up the bands and genres that made a huge impact this decade.
Quote by thegloaming
the 2000s had some good music, if you were willing to look. not as much good stuff as the 90's, but bands like Muse, The Strokes, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, and many other bands produced high quality music.

for the 2010s. i dunno, but i hope prog rock comes back in a very big way. moar muse and mars volta

You consider Muse to be prog
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I commend TSs broad knowledge about the music of the decade. Indie rock will probably gain a lot of popularity in the US and the last vestiges of the scene and "emo" subcultures will start to die out (thank the lawd) and become more of a part of the rising metalcore and metal dealio.
Some people might think I just read a bunch of wikipedia articles like "music of the 2000s" or each history of certain genres. Yes, I have done that. But I've also taken a few college courses in music history, one being about American popular music specifically. But I gain most of my knowledge from listening to various genres and just keeping an open mind on any music I hear. I try not to look at any music negatively. In fact, I like at least one song from every artists I mentioned in original post, expect Hinder and Soulja Boy (there's probably something I like by them). To me, the difference between mainstream and underground doesn't make a difference in quality. But, I do like seeing things move forward and not stagnate. The current mainstream has stagnated long enough, and it's time for a new revolution and new "sound".

I hope that didn't come out as being an elitist prick or some open minded hipster who tries too hard to be optimistic. I realize my speculation for next decade is a lot of fantasy almost, but I can still wish can't I. Perhaps all my speculation will take until 2030 to come true, but at least it will be on the road towards that.