The bass i am playing right now has an awesome feel and tone, but I need it to be louder. Even through my Fender Ruble series amp (75 watt), it is very quiet when turned all the way up. What is the reason? Will putting in new pickups fix that problem? I would love to use it for gigs, but I am overpowered by my guitarist playing through a crappy Line 6 Spider III. Thanks for suggestions.

P.S.

I bought the bass cheaply of ebay as a first bass three years ago, so I don't even know what kind it is, but it looks like a knock off Tom Araya signature.
even though spider lll amps are crappy, 75 watts isn't going to be enough for gigs really. I pulled off an outdoor gig with a 60 watt peavey but I got ran into the pa system so that doesn't count. People here will recommend 300 watts or more and i totally agree with them.

EDIT: also, if you have your mids turned down this will make the amp sound much quieter and it will have no chance of cutting through the guitars in a band situation.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
its just a standard mid, high, bass eq. i play through a PA when on stage, but at home practicing or with the band, its frustrating to have such a quiet instrument.
Whats your EQ settings?

Even without hearing them, I can almost guarantee that more wattage is the solution. Ive found 200-250 to be more then adequate for all the gigs Ive done. (small clubs, 200-400 seat auditoriums, 500+seat theatres. Some with PA, a few without)

A lot of people will say at least 300w. I dont think you need quite that much, but youll never say "Aw man, I wish I didnt have so much head room"

EDIT: You should probably give us the specs of your bass too. It could involve string height, pole placement, and pick up model
good point tubatom. It could be that he just needs to lower his action or raise the pickups. If the pickups aren't adjustable(my first bass was like this) you can do what i did. undo the screws completely and pull the pickup out. be careful not to pull on the wires. we don't need any troubles coming from this. Stick a piece of cloth underneath the pickups. I used felt. worked fine for me.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
good point tubatom. It could be that he just needs to lower his action or raise the pickups. If the pickups aren't adjustable(my first bass was like this) you can do what i did. undo the screws completely and pull the pickup out. be careful not to pull on the wires. we don't need any troubles coming from this. Stick a piece of cloth underneath the pickups. I used felt. worked fine for me.

Mhm. And pics never hurt. The better description or image of the problem we can see, the easier it is to fix.

If you arent comfortable with fixing a pick up problem yourself, you can take it to a luthier who would be able to fix the problem for less the $25 (my luthier at least)

But first isolate the problem to see if its the bass or the amp. Play the amp with a different bass, and the bass with a different amp and you will quickly find where the problem lays
but remember that active basses will be louder than passive basses so make sure to use a bass that is the same setup as yours.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
No amount of active electronics or pickup positioning's going to make 75W work.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
for home practice it could work. if the other guys turn down.

Here's a couple more things I thought of. Try putting your bass amp in a corner. This will give you a couple more decibles on the low end. You could also try tilting your amp against a wall or putting a towel or somthing like that under the front of the amp to give it a tilt. this way the sound waves don't hit the floor as much and get absorbed.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I've yet to hear a drummer or see a kit that wouldn't overpower 75W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yeah its a passive bass, and the amp is plenty loud with my other basses, im just looking to improve this bass in particular. how will raising the pickups help? im clueless lol.
Putting the pickup poles closer to the string increases the signal produced by the bass. Just did all the formulae in physics for this actually.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I do okay gigging with 100W, but I'm playing with a guitarist on an acoustic with poor PA support, so the drummer's pretty quiet too. I think more wattage is the main point, although a chorus or overdrive of some kind will make it sound louder.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by thefitz

I've overpowered my friend's drum kit with a 15W MAX 158 Peavey...

I didn't even turn it to half-volume I think.
thanks nutter, im gonna try that one. its cool its an old bass in case i **** it up
Quote by thefitz

Never said it would. Just trying to help him get as much volume as he can out of his amp
Quote by Alex Vik

Thats what you think
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Alex Vik

1, you sounded like complete crap
2, you were standing next to your amp

I can 'overpower' a drummer with a 15watt practice amp too, a really loud fart noise totally drowns everything out, especially when you're the one farting.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
1, you sounded like complete crap
2, you were standing next to your amp

I can 'overpower' a drummer with a 15watt practice amp too, a really loud fart noise totally drowns everything out, especially when you're the one farting.

1. It could've sounded better, but it wasn't horrible sounding.
2. No, I was in the middle of the room, which was in the middle of the amp and the drums.

Quote by watchingmefall
No you didn't.

Prove it.
Quote by Alex Vik
2. No, I was in the middle of the room, which was in the middle of the amp and the drums.

Prove it.

Prove you did. Just no way 15w could over power anything
Quote by Alex Vik

1, perhaps you like sounding like farts; 2, how big of a room? What is in the room? What are the walls made of? I'm not doubting that you can 'overpower' a drummer, but stating that you cannot possible sound good (perhaps you sound good to yourself), with that sort of set up.
Now say his name.....
Quote by tubatom868686
Prove you did. Just no way 15w could over power anything

I made a recording, but I deleted it so I can't prove it.

And it got loud, so it overpowered it.

Quote by lordofthefood1
1, perhaps you like sounding like farts; 2, how big of a room? What is in the room? What are the walls made of? I'm not doubting that you can 'overpower' a drummer, but stating that you cannot possible sound good (perhaps you sound good to yourself), with that sort of set up.

1. It didn't sound like farts, it sounded decent.
2. About the size of the average living room I guess, fairly decent sized.
3. About 9-10 guitars, about 5 amps, a fridge, two tables, a couch, some guitar stands, a mic stand, a couple recliner chairs, and a drumset.
4. Wood.
5. Well, the drums really weren't that loud, but there was a blanket in the bass drum, so that probably helped.
Quote by Alex Vik
I made a recording, but I deleted it so I can't prove it.

And it got loud, so it overpowered it.

1. It didn't sound like farts, it sounded decent.
2. About the size of the average living room I guess, fairly decent sized.
3. About 9-10 guitars, about 5 amps, a fridge, two tables, a couch, some guitar stands, a mic stand, a couple recliner chairs, and a drumset.
4. Wood.
5. Well, the drums really weren't that loud, but there was a blanket in the bass drum, so that probably helped.

Well the average living room here is about 12' by 18', which is a very tight space compared to other things such as a bar gig. All of that furniture absorbs his sound as well. (I'm not sure about the walls.) Either you have a very.. interesting sense of sound or you are playing with the world's softest drummer.

The five is the key to it. The blanket already takes out a lot of his sound, I'm sure he also plays softly.

What does your "it got loud.." sentence even mean?
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by lordofthefood1
Well the average living room here is about 12' by 18', which is a very tight space compared to other things such as a bar gig. All of that furniture absorbs his sound as well. (I'm not sure about the walls.) Either you have a very.. interesting sense of sound or you are playing with the world's softest drummer.

The five is the key to it. The blanket already takes out a lot of his sound, I'm sure he also plays softly.

What does your "it got loud.." sentence even mean?

Ok, it may have been larger than a 12' by 18', as it's the main room in my friend's basement. And my friend isn't really that much of a heavy hitter.

And I was referring to the bass amp I believe...
Watts only measure electricity not sound. Sound level is measured in dB's or decibels. Obvoiusly the more watts you put out the louder you will sound but speaker efficiency is just as important. 50W through a speaker which produces 100dB per watt will be just as loud as 200W through a speaker that produces 94dB per watt.

Bass speakers have to be long throw as they need to shift more air and this makes them less efficient than guitar speakers generally.

Our ears are less sensitive to low frequencies as well so bass will never sound as loud as the middle dominated guitar. As a general rule you will need twice as much power as your guitarist and even then you won't win. I have used a 20W amp with a lot of compression to match a drummer but this was in a small room with a super efficient speaker and the drummer was being normal for once.

Your rumble amp will only match a fairly laid back drummer without using an external cab. If you want to be heard then use extra middle and top to cut through and turn the bass down a tiny bit to keep the amp from distorting. If your guitarist turns up full then you will sound crap as a band which means he sounds crap too. sometimes guitarists need reminding of this especially young ones.

75W is at the lower end of what is useful. It will do a job but if you want a really bassy sound or you want to be able to let the rest of the band have their fun then at some stage you will need a bit more power.