I have a JCM 800 2203 on the way to replace my farty 2205 head. The 2203 has a great lead tone, but it's only one channel and I need a clean tone.

SO, I'm thinking I'm going to run my 4x12 in stereo (2 - 8 ohm loads) and run the JCM 800 and another with great cleans with an A/B pedal.

I need a single channel clean amp that can run on 8 ohms with plenty of head room to accompany the JCM on its epic quests.

I've already spent a lot of money so I'd like to keep the price around $400.

I want a warm clean tone like Minus the Bear
All suggestions welcome!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
roland jc120?
fender bassman/bandmaster
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Either Peavey classic 30 or classic 50. A real sleeper amp, nobody has recognized how amazing the cleans really are. Try one out if you get the chance, and it sits right around your budget
or what hinro said
used market ftw
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
If you can find a jc-120 head that would be perfect, but if not a bassman might work.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Hinro
Either Peavey classic 30 or classic 50. A real sleeper amp, nobody has recognized how amazing the cleans really are. Try one out if you get the chance, and it sits right around your budget

does it come in head form?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
yes it comes in head form. but you can run the combo with a cab. same with the jc120
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I can, but it's just easier to use a head. less to lug around, and I don't want to pay for a speaker I don't necessarily need to use. (heads tend to be cheaper than their 1x12 2x12 brothers)
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
yeah, but jc120 head is very rare
that was what i was referring to
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
If you want great cleans there are pretty much three options: Vox, Fender, Roll off the volume. Unless you're talking boutique amps, but you probably can't afford such things (fair enough, me either).

My recommendations:
Vox AC50 Head

Fender Band-Master VM

As far as reasonably priced (new) clean tones go those are your best options.

EDIT: That Minus the Bear clean you're referring to is from Mesa Boogies, which are based on the the Fender circuit designs from the Blackface (60s) era. Mesa cleans are pretty unique (imo) in that they've got the bell-like attack (similar to the Fenders) but are much darker (Vox, or Orange, etc).
Last edited by RadioMuse at Mar 24, 2009,
Let me put on my flame shield here, but I honestly think that the peavey cleans are far better than in the AC50
get a musicman hd130, they're old but they're awesome. very clean tone, and tons of headroom. there's one on ebay for $370 or so.

that's my next amp, once i get a new job...
Quote by Hinro
Let me put on my flame shield here, but I honestly think that the peavey cleans are far better than in the AC50

I've never played through a classic 50... The classic 30 I played through a couple years back had very good cleans, comparable with the Fender Blue Deluxe. I'm just not a big fan of Peavey's in general... I really shouldn't hold it against the Classics though, they're great amps.

*shrugs*

I have an Evil Twin... So when I saw this thread I was honestly thinking "TWIN REVERB, TWIN REVERB, TWIN REVERB" but then I realized they wanted a head...

A lot of an amps tone comes from it's speakers, a Fender or Vox will sound different through Greenbacks (Marshall) than they would through the JBL or Alnico Blue speakers that they're traditionally known to have, so don't be surprised if you've really got to play around with the settings to get something you're happy with.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I see them on ebay and craigslist all the time

jc120 head?
highly unlikely
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I think im going to go with the peavey classic 50 combo
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Get a Silverface Bassman head on Ebay.

Loads of clean headroom, sounds great, and is in head form.

Minus the Bear previously used Fenders and now uses the Mesa Lonestar.
While they never used a Bassman that I know of, it will give you the similar style of cleans that you are looking for.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by OceanofNoise at Mar 24, 2009,