I can't find the guitar and bass basics forum anymore... I am wondering how to finger the 22nd fret? It seems like there is nothing to make the note ring out by I have a tab saying the note is at the 22nd fret.
provide us with the part of the song requiring this fret, and a better answer can be provided.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
just like all frets, you finger it the economical and comfortable way, its your choice, but, chances are, the pinky is the intended finger for the fret. if you're having trouble sounding it, just keep practicing hitting that note, it will ring clearer and sound louder eventually
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Maybe he only has 21; in that case, bend the 21th fret up to the pitch of the 22nd.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Ok, thanks.

It is the guitar solo for 'Like a Stone' by Audioslave. Part of the progression is 18 20 22 on the high E string and I guess I only have 21 frets.
yea it sucks when a song requires the 22nd fret or in my case the 24th...
i use my ring finger for all that though...
mainly because i usually bend way up there... but if its a pull off lick then i use my pinky
try pushing the string down on the neck pick up as if it were a fret....
only if you need 24 and you only have 21, other wise:
(so it doesnt sound odd)
Prebend, strike it, mute it , then release.
OK, you've officially outgrown that Squier (or vintage Strat). Time for an MIM Strat, maybe with a humbucker....or a Jackson DINKY or an Ibanez or an LTD.

If you want to play metal (other than Malmsteen or Maiden), then go for 24 frets and you won't get that from Fender or Gibson without spending an arm and a leg.

Good luck
Quote by jetwash69
OK, you've officially outgrown that Squier (or vintage Strat). Time for an MIM Strat, maybe with a humbucker....or a Jackson DINKY or an Ibanez or an LTD.

If you want to play metal (other than Malmsteen or Maiden), then go for 24 frets and you won't get that from Fender or Gibson without spending an arm and a leg.

Good luck

mim strats got 21 :P
Quote by qsceszxdwa

Holy COW!!! Learn something new every day. Even the deluxes only have 21! Amazing that you never see that in the whole MIM vs MIA discussion. I knew the Road Worns had 21. I'm pretty sure a few of the MIA special editions have 22 though. But you might as well just buy MIA or at least Highway 1 at that price point.

Turns out there's actually a lot more Squier models with 22 frets than MIM models with them. You can get the Standard for $230. But the most common models, the Affiinities and the Bullets, only have 21.

OK, time to upgrade to a Squier LOL! BTW, I bought my Afiinity after my MIA Standard. I've outgrown both. We got an Ibanez, but that stays in drop D. Now we need a Jackson so we can have a guitar w/24 frets & FR in standard tuning, too.

Cheers.
Quote by jetwash69
OK, time to upgrade to a Squier.

that doesn't sound right...
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Syz10
Ok, thanks.

It is the guitar solo for 'Like a Stone' by Audioslave. Part of the progression is 18 20 22 on the high E string and I guess I only have 21 frets.

um, there isnt anything that high in "like a stone" actually. if you really need to play that note, you can bend it. but in that song morello is using a whammy pedal to raise the note 2 octaves (im assuming its the solo we are talking about here). even if you are wanting to play the note he raises the pitch to, im still not sure it goes that high.
Tab I'm using from this site says 22... I don't have a whammy bar set up but I'm just trying to get the notes down. If it's 21 I'll be glad to just play that instead
You could bend the note up a step. Link us?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Syz10
Tab I'm using from this site says 22... I don't have a whammy bar set up but I'm just trying to get the notes down. If it's 21 I'll be glad to just play that instead

a whammy bas isnt the same as a whammy pedal, a whammy pedals an effect
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Syz10

Whammy pedal, not tremolo arm. Two very different things.
OK, we're all curious...what kind of guitar is it with no trem and 21 frets? Gibson & their knockoffs come with a minimum of 22 frets.

BTW, the whammy pedal everyone keeps talking about is usually the DIGITECH Whammy. Pretty common; used by folks from Jack White to Kirk Hammet. Most use it to make part of the solo stand out, but it can also be used to simulate a bass with a normal guitar (2 octaves down). Most DIGITECH multi-effect pedals (with an expression pedal) have this feature. Electroharminux also makes a couple of analog whammys.
Quote by qsceszxdwa

I'd say some of them have 22.

If I were in your position I would play back one step, or half step depeding on the song's scale.

For instance, the song might be written 18-20-22 try 17-18-20 or 16-18-20.

If the 16 rings out like a bad note it's the 17, or vice versa. Unless of course you're in harmonic minor or other scales with larger intervals between notes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you need to reach a fret you dont have, you bend it. Simple as.

This is also good because you will become more used to bending and can diversify your guitar playing alot more.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by jetwash69
OK, we're all curious...what kind of guitar is it with no trem and 21 frets? Gibson & their knockoffs come with a minimum of 22 frets.

BTW, the whammy pedal everyone keeps talking about is usually the DIGITECH Whammy. Pretty common; used by folks from Jack White to Kirk Hammet. Most use it to make part of the solo stand out, but it can also be used to simulate a bass with a normal guitar (2 octaves down). Most DIGITECH multi-effect pedals (with an expression pedal) have this feature. Electroharminux also makes a couple of analog whammys.
Kirk doesn't use a whammy pedal. You're getting partly confused with the wah effect.
^^^^ Kirk says that the only way he'll stop using his wah is if you cut his legs off, but he has also been known to use the Whammy in addition to his Line 6 delay, modulation, filter, distortion, and duoverb modelers.

(http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/67/38/)

According to the below site, Kirk locked up his wahs for St Anger, but he did have his whammy:
http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/kirkamps.html

(of course I'm probably the only one over thirty, other than Bob Rock, who likes St Anger).

If you don't believe all that website BS, then check out Some Kind of Monster--I'm not going to watch it again just to verify, but I'm pretty sure you'll see it there. Of course the danger is you might actually like St Anger after watching the movie--if you can get it Down Under \m/
I actually kinda like St. Anger. It doesn't sound like their other material, but it's still good.