Ok, i know this is probably in the wrong section... but in most of the Guitar Pro tabs i get they have to notes like ----5-----7------ and there is a little like half circle under them that stands for linking them together... WTH DOES THIS MEAN??????????

i know im a noob
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
I'm not sure about the sections, but I'll answer your question.

The half circle under them connecting the two means to hammer on from the 5 to the 7. If there's a line connecting the 5 and the 7 at the same time, then it means to slide.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
that what i was thinking, however later in the same tab it had ----5-h-7---- with the stupid little circle below! so that was confusing me a bit

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
It's pretty much the same thing, it just depends on how people write it.

Maybe you could get technical and say that it's an aggressive hammer-on, but I don't think that needs to be done. I don't even know if that's valid or not, but I'd let someone more in the know comment on that one.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
yeah, in music (not guitar) terminology, that "half circle" is called a slur
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
if the cirle is below, it mixes the duration of the notes joined, but that's alway's on equal notes. these are called tied notes.

if its over, it's a hammer on/pulloff. These is called a slur, and it indicates that notes joined by it are played with legato.

EDIT:
again, marty friedman saves my day. Here you can see the use of both half circles.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3269/martythesavior.jpg

(i can post images, but it's too big, so i just wrote the url)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Mar 24, 2009,
Generally true, for sure. Unless I'm looking at Guitar Pro wrong, having the circle underneath can also count as a slur, as there's a separate function for tied and slurred notes, both use underhand notation.

I was taught that it depends, in standard notation, on where the note is on the staff. Tablature is different, but it seems that there's no one true, all-encompassing set of rules that everyone follows; it differs slightly from person to person.
Amps

Guitar

Effects and Etc.
its just a hammeron
or a pull off for that matter
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W
Behringer Super Metal Pedal

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
ok so ldnovelo IF the circle is below in a tab say -----4----6--- that would mean the duration and mixing of the duration of the notes? ok how about on my brothers bass tab he has it is like -----4-----------6------ but the circle only goes to half way in between the 4 and the 6. he says they play a bend there so would the circle indicate the duration of the bend? so it can mean slur or hammer on pretty much since there is no true set of rules for tablature notation? so would u recommend playing it both ways and go with what sounds correct?

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
also ldnovelo i forgot to mention that on that bass tab there is no bending marks like you usually see so i think that is actually the tab makers error. because in all honesty there is supposed to be a bend at that point in the song.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
he is talking about guitar pro not normal tabs
its a hammeron or a pulloff
not a string bend
a string bend is clearly marked on gp with a line going up and something like 1 or 1/2
meaning how far you bend up
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
ok, the thing is Satcre3 is that on the bass tab that would not explain why the "slur" "HO/PO" symbol ends where there is no note to be played... so that was confusing the hell out of my brother

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
did you change the tuning on gp?
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W

i didnt change a thing, i think it was just a ****ty tab

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp