Just wondering if anyone can help me out.....

I bought myself an Ibanez Jem only a couple of days ago (ohhhhhh yeah). She's a 555, as opposed to the 7's, but hey I can't afford to pay 4.5 K AUD for a guitar at the moment and for the money, in my opinion it was good value (the Dimarzio pickups kick arse and it was a good 1.5K cheaper than any other Prestige MIJ because they had them on a 40% off special), even if the guitar is equipped with an Edge 3 (although, I must admit, if you set them up right, they are not as bad as people say IMO).

The guitar obviously hadn't had its strings changed in a long while, because they were practically black, not a steel colour, so I put on some new Dunlop 45 - 9's and set the bridge up myself. After many hours of twiddling with the springs at the back to ensure the Edge III was in the right angle, I was happy and then proceeded to adjust the tremolo bridge height, which is now as low as I can get it without fret buzz. After all this work however, the action just doesn't feel low enough in my opinion - but the problem I have is that if I reduce the trem bridge height anymore, I will get fret buzzing. The fret buzzing, if I lower the bridge, is occurring on about the 15th fret and above. My question is:

Would a truss rod adjustment lower my action? Reading through jemsite, actions can be set to fractions of mm, mine is like 4-5 mm off at the 12th fret..... I've just never toucher my truss rod before (reading that back, it sounds a bit kinky!!!!!).

Anybody with ideas or experience, or should I take it to a tech???
you could adjust the truss rod, but, remember, you need the truss rod properly adjusted for proper intonation, but if you can figure out a way to get low action and proper intonation, go for it
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
On my Jem I have the neck straight

Mr. Vai uses super high action. He doesn't have his bridge set up up flat either.
Quote by AussiePGFan
I've just never toucher my truss rod before

lol, good for you.

I'd take it to a tech. You can do serious damage with the truss rod if you don't know what you are doing.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
A truss rod wouldn't properly lower the action. Truss rod changes neck bow, not action.
Action is adjusted at the saddles. I believe for the Edge III you need a small allen wrench for it. Just lower the saddles as low as you feel comfortable and see if it works for you.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
A truss rod wouldn't properly lower the action. Truss rod changes neck bow, not action.
Action is adjusted at the saddles. I believe for the Edge III you need a small allen wrench for it. Just lower the saddles as low as you feel comfortable and see if it works for you.

yes, but the neck bow does have an affect on the action, and most people with really low action have a fairly flat neck
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Baby Joel

That's what I thought when I read though jemsite info. Cheers for the advice, I will give that a go and see how I go.
Quote by guitarsftw
yes, but the neck bow does have an affect on the action, and most people with really low action have a fairly flat neck

That also makes sense to me from a physics point of view....

Just looking at jemsite again, they have some fairly descriptive wasy to adjust your truss rod, I will see if I can't make sense of it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.