Hey guys, I just thought I would drop in and make myself known. Been registered here since right around the time I started playing but never joined the forum.

Till now! (Dun dun duhhhh )

I tried to learn guitar about 4 years ago at my then girlfriends house, but being left handed and trying to play on a right handed guitar didn't go very well.

We broke up, but I kept the guitar. It's some pretty cheap wall mart sort of acoustic guitar. Which sat pretty much un used in its case. Waiting...willing to strike.

This is a really lame reason to start playing guitar again, but it got me thinking. Well my friends started playing a lot guitar hero at parties ect, and I would attempt to play right handed. I was pretty bad, after some time working up from easy to medium.

I felt like a schmuck, while all my friends were fake rocking out, I was getting my ass handed to me by hit me with your best shot. Well "Lefty flip" was pointed out to me. And soon I started to see my scores kick ass, I was getting good.

And I thought about that Guitar I got so many years ago, sitting in it's case plotting the destruction of mankind or something.

Took it out, flipped it upside down and looked up a tab (On this site matter of fact) Of seven nation army by the white stripes. The simple 7 7 10 7 5 3 2 intro.

After after a few tries I got it down (It still didn't quite sound right, since the guitar hadn't been tuned in ya know four years) But BAM I could play music. Well golly miss molly.

My step dad use to play, so he tuned the thing for me, showed me a couple things.

I Otis Rushed it for about two weeks before I got a real left handed guitar at the local pawn shop. A relatively beat up left handed Ibanez Gio for 65 bucks (Thank you mr military discount)

A $35 bass amp and some new strings. Since then I have been pretty addicted playing around 4 hours a day. Bought a left handed dean preformer E acoustic last week.

I went from having one guitar, to three,(I think musical equipment spawn, now I want a harmonica too) Probably more left handed guitars then anywhere else in my city. I just wish I would have thought of "lefty flip" four years ago, now I'm making up for all my lost time.

All my friends play pretty heavy medal, ska, thrash, that sort of thing. so what have I started learning?

The blues

Well..as much blues as one can play after only playing guitar for a month!

Sorry about the essay, but figured I'd go a little more in depth then the typical "Sup"

Question...I heard that playing Guitar on a bass amp will warp the amp. is this true?
If you play a guitar through a bass amp its gonna ruin the amp
do not do it!!!!

on another tangent, welcome to UG

EDIT: you should never play an instrument through an amp not designed for it, never ends well haha
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Quote by CoF-Dean
If you play a guitar through a bass amp its gonna ruin the amp
do not do it!!!!

guitars thru bass amps don't have issues, but basses through guitar amps do
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
oh really?
why is that?
i just asumed that coz bass **** up guitar amps that it'd be the same

oh well, sorry

Join The NSW FTW Group
Quote by CoF-Dean
oh really?
why is that?
i just asumed that coz bass **** up guitar amps that it'd be the same

oh well, sorry

its an output and frequency issue

guitars have fairly balanced outputs and frequencies, and bass amps are set up to take extreme outputs and frequencies, so a guitar would not mess up a bass amp

however, a guitar amp cannot handle EXTREEEEEEEEME output and mass amounts of lowend frequencies that a bass provides
Quote by AA00P
oh ok thats fair enough

i dont know much about it, but wouldnt it sound like **** because bass amps are (im guessing) set up to output an extremely low pitch.. when guitars are a lot higher pitch then bass

Join The NSW FTW Group
Quote by CoF-Dean
oh ok thats fair enough

i dont know much about it, but wouldnt it sound like **** because bass amps are (im guessing) set up to output an extremely low pitch.. when guitars are a lot higher pitch then bass

yeah, sound wise, it doesn't usually sound great (however, fender bassmans/bassmen were, obviously, made for bass, and they turned out great for guitar) however, sometimes the low frequencies from a bass amp can be somewhat ideal to round out the harsh high ends that some multi-fx processors and modelers give.
Quote by AA00P
Ha, well it's A Gorilla tube amp, not to sure of what type, but the cheapest around at the time. So I know quality wise it isn't the greatest. I'll find that out tomorrow. Has a nice switch for "funk"

(Really significant when my friend plugged his left handed bass into it, but after a month of 4 hour a day usage. It still sounds good for a bass)

which changes the tone a little bit. Other then that theirs no way for distortion or anything, so I got a "Death metal" pedal back when I thought thats what I wanted to play.

Overall I haven't had any problem with the amp itself just worried that I will one day.
Last edited by exatreide at Mar 24, 2009,
Hey

Putting the guitar through the bass amp isnt going to damage it, but it wont sound "right", the reason its in commas is that some guitarists prefer the sound of a guitar through a bass amp ( i think Queens of the stone age use a bass amp, but also a ton of effects and stuff), as the bass amp isnt capable of putting out the higher frequency signals of a guitar.

Unfortunatel this thread will probably be closed as we have a Stickied Thread for introductions at the top of the forum, but feel free to copy and paste your introduction and repost it in there, and read the introductions of your fellow newbies.

Welcome to UG