Okay, So... I'm about ready to just say **** it and burn everything I have.

I'm looking for a metallica type tone. early, or brand new metallica, like late 90s, or Death Magnetic. Preferably the second, but whatever. I tried all the suggestions on the settings thread, but none of them are right on. And when I play/listen with the headphones on my amp, it gets even worse.

I know i've got a crappy amp, and my guitar probably isnt that great for metal, but im working on fixing both of those problems. So if you could just suggest something to get me by until i can get good gear, I'd really, really appreciate it. Thanks.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Does your Squier have a humbucker? If not, I'd say you borrow a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge from a friend, or anyone around you who plays guitar. That should get you that much tone, then (try to) do the rest with the Spider. ( )

No wait, I think everything should be able to come from that Spider. Seeing the rate of innovation, they probaby have a humbucker simulation on there on the III's. I expect complete virtual guitar projection by at least the V's.
Last edited by Y00p at Mar 25, 2009,
metal setting - bass 6-8 - mids 1-3 - treble 7-10 - reverb 2-4

that should get you pretty close. then just tweak it from there.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
**** it and burn everything you have.
start your new life as a native forager on the coasts of figi where you will collect and trade luscious fruits for money. With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
What guitar/amp are you using?
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
...Dude, if that will fit, I'm totally going to sig that. It might not though. LOL. imma have to choose the best part if it wont. Very nice. -applause-

Anyway, back to real life... I am saving up for a mesa dual/duo rectifier [despite what my sig says] and soon after, i'm going to build a custom Explorer. I figure that you can make a hella fine guitar for, in some cases, less than you would buy the same exact guitar from, say GC. So yeah.

EDIT: I'm using the disgusting Spider, and a squier strat. like ive said before, idk the exact model, but yes, it does have a humbucker in the bridge. (And also, more on that post, i dont believe you. I've tried it on every amp possible [almost] and it still sounds ****ty)

=\ FAIL. (For me)
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Mar 24, 2009,
awesome so ur taking my suggestions. u seriously should wear a straw skirt tho. and im in ur sig!!!
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
Last edited by guitaro69 at Mar 24, 2009,
no, im not that crazy... I need somethin to get me by until i do get the new gear. haha. i seriosuly would love to burn it to the ground though.

Anyway... Does the dual rectifier sound alright? Are there options for those? (I'm not really that familiar with tube amps...)

Also, where could I buy one? LOL. I'm sure that sounds absoluty ridiculous, and what-not, but yeah. I cant seem to find them anywhere. Not at GC, and not online anywhere, except ebay... That would probably be smarter anyway, but yeah... like i said, i dont really know for sure.

Quote by guitaro69
**** it and burn everything you have.
start your new life as a native forager on the coasts of figi where you will collect and trade luscious fruits for money. With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

dude i love you
i almost just pissed my pants laughing
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by Sublime_Dude

EDIT: I'm using the disgusting Spider, and a squier strat. like ive said before, idk the exact model, but yes, it does have a humbucker in the bridge. (And also, more on that post, i dont believe you. I've tried it on every amp possible [almost] and it still sounds ****ty)

=\ FAIL. (For me)

Ah well, then it must be one really, really bad Squier.

But obviously, you're looking for a miracle-doctor to prescribe you the exact settings you're going to need to play Metallica on that guitar/amp, and it's not going to happen. You'll have to find out yourself by tinkering, it's the only way.
you more than likely wont get the exact metallica tone either way... remember during recording, guitars are usuallydoubled up using two different distortions and then they are played back over each other.

you can get a ballpark sound but it wont be exact, ever

I would try a high output bucker, use the emg81 like they do through a simulation thats close to a mesa rectifier, bass up to about 7, mids around 3 and trebs around 5 and as someone above said, tweak from there. If you got the $, get a tone bone pedal too. thatwill help
Okay, I didnt expect to get the EXACT tone, anyway... why would i want to anyway. I'm going to need to come up with my own eventually, anyway...

anyway, back to my question before, If you could link to the proper amp for the genres/bands i listed in the first post, I'd appreciate it.

If you dont wanna look there, then here. I'll refine it.

I want kind of a metal tone, high gain, more, just, plain heavy metal than any of the subgenres [so not a weird, overly heavy tone] but im going to need nice cleans, as well. I'll be using my .. frigging... sorry excuse for a guitar for a while, but soon, i'll be using a custom explorer. (Since that doesnt really narrow down the native tone, I plan on using EMG's. a 81 and a 85 w/ the boost switch... I've never actually used those, but ive heard they're good so yeah. if thas not true, please correct it now/recommend good ones (Active Only) )

Hope I made sense *

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Mar 26, 2009,
Please make sure you know you want the booster, before getting it into a custom Explorer. Don't waste your money on other people's opinions or findings.

You're going to want either a natural high-gain amp, but these don't come cheap with good clean tones. So you're going with either high-gain, sucking clean, or get something like an Epi VJ and stick some pedals in front of there for EQ'ing, Distortion, Reverb, and so forth and so on.

To be quite honest though, if you're wanting good cleans, you shouldn't get a 85 and 81 in the first place...
Quote by Sublime_Dude
no, im not that crazy... I need somethin to get me by until i do get the new gear. haha. i seriosuly would love to burn it to the ground though.

Anyway... Does the dual rectifier sound alright? Are there options for those? (I'm not really that familiar with tube amps...)

Also, where could I buy one? LOL. I'm sure that sounds absoluty ridiculous, and what-not, but yeah. I cant seem to find them anywhere. Not at GC, and not online anywhere, except ebay... That would probably be smarter anyway, but yeah... like i said, i dont really know for sure.

the only place to buy a new mesa boogie is at an authorized dealer (check mesa's website). They do not sell them new online and i believe the dealers are at least a few hours away from one another to avoid price wars.

third party used mesas can be found on ebay, craigslist, and the used guitar center website though
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Hmm.... Okay, this is all really great info so far thank you very much. What pick ups would you recommend, then? I just kind of assumed those, since Dan Jacobs [from atreyu] uses those in his. Or... Did, anyway. Before he changed to the V. Idk about now.

Anyway, what mesa would be good? Just so i can kind of see the price range. (No offence for ignoring the epi thing, i just... idk. If im gonna spend money, i wanna make sure i get something really sturdy.)

Mesa amps are so loud cranked you will be evicted from your house, you may want a lower wattage amp as 50watts tube sounds like 200watts solid state, plus they only sound good cranked to the max( i think so anyways).

id blame the guitar before your amp, you say it sounds like **** no matter what amp its connected too so i think i a new guitar is in order before the amp.

hell i still use my 4yr old Spider 2 for everything you just have to know the amp and what its capable of doing(sucks at cleans but dooable).
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Last edited by invision2212 at Mar 26, 2009,
Okay, so, you're saying a 50W mesa would be good? or bad?

=\ Im confused.

If thats what you mean would this be alright?

Or should I get something else?

The two channel thing is better than what ive got now, but it kinda scares me, still. Should I have more than 2 channels? I know there are technically four sounds you can get out of that one right there, but still... Like ive said before, idk much about tube amps. So help me out please lol. (You've done great so far)