Well, I've started a band, we have a vocalist, 2 guitars (including me), 1 keyboard, 1 bass and a drummer.

Just about all of us have never been in a band before but we have experience playing in school bands (the clarinets, saxes, timpanis, that kinda stuff.)

So the holidays are coming up, in those two weeks how often should we practice, just to get up onto our feet and start making progress.

We haven't had a rehearsal yet and we dunno what we are gunna be doing, i think we will just probably work over riffs n stuff, make instrumentals and then make lyrics.
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Depends how good you want to be.

7 hours a day if you want to be really really really good.

Edit: Not sarcasm, individual practice is also necessary, but the more you practice as a band, the tighter you will be. If you want to get good fast, practice more, if it doesn't matter, 2 or 3 hours a week will do.
Last edited by Regression at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Regression
Depends how good you want to be.

7 hours a day if you want to be really really really good.

lol, I'd probably be the only one willing to do that, the other guys have a life.
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Mmm, well as much as possible really.

If you want to be the best you can, then it's only logical. It just depends how much priority you're willing to give it. Since you're just starting out though, you won't have much to practice. I'd say unless you get some songs written, 4 hours a week.
Band Practice is in two sections:
1. Individual: At home practice the songs over and over all days all the time you can. For me I practice 2-7 hours a day. This is where you are suppose to learn the songs.
2. Together: If all have done it individually at home then the practice should run smoothly and you should Together you are not learning the songs! You are making sure you all play in the right time and tempo.

There is nothing more annoying then a guy who cannot play the songs at band practice!!!
I had this problem when I was in a band few months ago. The guy could play one song perfectly because he had played it long time ago and always remembered it but it looked like he didn't had picked up the guitar for those 2 weeks we gave all members to learn the song. I was so ****ing pissed for a few days I ended up quiting the band because it happened too many times.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
two slots of two hours per week
at a rehearsal studio is best but if not a garage
and make sure everyone does learn the stuff at home
band practice is for making sure your playing together
and for writing obviously
but you should come up with ideas at home and fit them together at practices
Weekly at least.

We practice on mondays in school for just an hour, but this is more just running through songs we've finished already.

We also practice once every weekend for a whole afternoon, from say 1-7 or 11-5. This is where most of the writing gets done. Initial ideas are drawn up beforehand and worked on in these. I write lyrics in my own time and bring them to the band in one of these sessions.

Ideally you need one long practice per week with an optional shorter run through to get yourselves tighter.
Any less than thrice a week you shouldn't even bother.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Some of the most productive work I have done in practice was with half the band (Guitar/keyboards/bass) or just me and the drummer. Sometimes its best to do pairs like guitar/singer depending on experience.
For a first band, just watch out for the time wasting types who only want to jam something. When you're paying for rehearsal time you use it as cleverly as you can. Best of all is to get a friendly venue to give you time in return for the occasional free gig. When you think you are getting near gigging, get someone who knows the score and who you trust, to advise you AND LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

My band practices once a week, even if everyone can't make it. We're a 7 piece reggae/rock outfit, so it's not critical to have everyone.
When we have gigs coming up, we try and fit in as many as we can to make sure we're tight. We're playing a festival this sunday, and haven't really practiced much with the full band, so don't follow our example. We get lazy sometimes.

I don't really do much practicing at home, neither does the rest of the band. We rehearse out of our bassist's basement so we aren't paying for rehearsal space. We also do a lot of f*cking around, yet we're still the most prolifically gigging band in our high school so I guess we're doing okay. Point is, you don't need to do the whole 7 hours a day thing. You can get by just fine with a 3-4 hour practice once or twice a week.
My band would pratice for 2-3 hours take a food break and go back at it for another 2-3 hours.
For those two weeks, find out each others schedules, and practice AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Then, something magical will happen...

Once you guys get good, everyone else will get more devoted and want to spend as much time practicing as possible.

A Tip: just jam and see what you come up with once you're used to playing along side each other.