Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone. Ok well after having a argument at school about this, with our friend group quite evenly torn between the two, i was wondering what alot of other people thought.

Now I know for 110% sure that the majority will prefer metal, especialy after seeing the top 10 best and worst artists over christmas :P, but id still like to know people's opinions and reasons behind the preferance. Also i know some of ya's will h8 both, but just answer as if u had to make a choice.

Personally i'm a metalhead \../. I'll listen to anything from about goth rock through to true deathcore. In general though i prefer the middle ground of metalcore and thrash metal. Even though I hate rap/hip-hop, i do like nu-metal, although i dont realy like the rap or hiphop orientated lyrics in it.

cheers
Brodie
Seeing how I've been listening to almost nothing but hip hop this month, I'm going to say that.

Saying that, though, I can (and do) listen to as much going as I possibly can.
It's girls and spaghetti... We love girls and spaghetti!
METAL OWNS ALLL!!!!!,
nah im a metal fan/screamo/goth...what ever u name it bands, like bmth,parkway and i killed the prom queen. rap just sucks balls all they do is talk about how they get shoot everyday because they cant get them selves a job....harsh yes but also true lol =D

metal kills rap/hippop and all that I reackon because metal ur able to do so much more sht with it has more than on beat.... but yeah thats what i think anyways.......
Last edited by guitarh22 at Mar 24, 2009,
you can compare them.....u can even compare elementary math with college math because obviously one is better than the other jsut like how metal is better than rap

so see you can compare them
Quote by guitarh22
rap just sucks balls all they do is talk about how they get shoot everyday because they cant get them selves a job....harsh yes but also true lol =D

metal kills rap/hippop and all that I reackon because metal ur able to do so much more sht with it has more than on beat.... but yeah thats what i think anyways.......

Since when does "rap/hip hop" consistute nothing but gangsta rap?

Ignorant or whaaat.
Quote by guitarh22
you can compare them.....u can even compare elementary math with college math because obviously one is better than the other jsut like how metal is better than rap

so see you can compare them

lol in a sense, i do disagree with the point of 'u cant compare em'. its like saying u cant compare a SUV/4WD (whereever ur from), with a hatchback. Alright theyre completely diff, but u can still compare them in a sense. Now more to the point, i didnt say 'compare them', i sed 'which is your preference'...lol
peeps plz make a choice as if u had to choose, thats the point in this, well survey basicaly :P
Quote by Topstring

Ignorant or whaaat.

Since they started it.... all they do i talk(yes and i literally mean talk cause they don't sing) about all the crap that happens in there lives....if its that bad go to a shrink lol. But i guess if u mad millions telling the world about ur problems why not ayy.
Quote by guitarh22
Since they started it.... all they do i talk(yes and i literally mean talk cause they don't sing) about all the crap that happens in there lives....if its that bad go to a shrink lol. But i guess if u mad millions telling the world about ur problems why not ayy.

Look at the lyrics for about 75% of songs and guess what the content is.... their life!

And rapping is just another style, just as in death metal the singers normally growl. An open mind is what you need.
both metal and rap are often disliked for their lyrical orientation and singing style, personaly yes i dislike rap becaus of that. Honestly usualy id be with guitarh, but atm i just wanna know preferance lol, i cudnt care less if raps about rooting um slut and shooting sum guy, or if metals about cutting ur wrists and going to hell...
Quote by guitarh22

Just like how everyone in metal growls about Satan all the time?

Yeah, I can be ignorant too.
You're asking on a guitar website where the most popular forum (in bands and artists) is metal. You can't possibly get an accurate representation of the population from this website.
You can't compare the two. You're comparing music to ****ty-rhyme-telling-tough-acting-on-a-stolen-drumbeat. (yes I DO prefer metal xD)
this thread makes me want to kill people.

Wow, everybody really thinks that their music is better than everybody elses. Why do metalheads think they are so much better than everybody else.

95% of metal is **** also guys.

Open your ****ing minds.
To the people blindly ripping on hip/hop, have you guys heard the old ****? There's tons of quality hip/hop out there, besides what's on the charts. (just like in metal). It's an unfair comparison to make, and for those who blindly dismiss hip/hop/pop/rap/etc. You're more than likely not really a "metalhead". metal's all about breaking the rules-and not giving a **** about what other people think of you. How old are you people who are dismissing a whole genre of music? 14? 15? give me a break-grow up, and have an open mind.

(with all that said-I like metal a lot more)
Quote by FifthHorsemen
To the people blindly ripping on hip/hop, have you guys heard the old ****? There's tons of quality hip/hop out there, besides what's on the charts. (just like in metal). It's an unfair comparison to make, and for those who blindly dismiss hip/hop/pop/rap/etc. You're more than likely not really a "metalhead". metal's all about breaking the rules-and not giving a **** about what other people think of you. How old are you people who are dismissing a whole genre of music? 14? 15? give me a break-grow up, and have an open mind.

(with all that said-I like metal a lot more)

thank you so much for saying this
I do think it is a matter of comparing 2 totally different things. Most people will be loyal to what they listen to and be closed minded about anything else. Personally I like metal better, I did used to listen to rap/hip hop and I am much "happier" :P now that I listen to metal.
The unfair thing about that comparison is the fact that it's one genre versus three. Due to the sheer capacity of pop music to be well-known and played randomly everywhere, I've definitely heard more of that than metal, even though I'm pretty open to both sets of genres. In the end, I'd go with pop/hip-hop/rap, kind of because it encompasses way more music, secondly because I haven't heard that much metal and I guess sometimes it's a bit heavy for me, and finally because it's hard to deny the pure childhood memory classics of artists such as the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC. Aah, those were the days! Quite a bit of new pop music is awesome, too. For example, Lady GaGa is one of my favourites at the moment, despite the disturbingly skanky blue swimsuit in several of her music videos. UGH!

EDIT: Oh, and to the people saying that this is a comparison between two very different things, that seems to be the point here. It seems that the original thread starter is just looking for personal opinions, not necessarily merit-based judgements, so all is well. My right nostril is runny. Noooo! T_T
Last edited by zephyrclaw at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by Topstring

Ignorant or whaaat.

this.

There's lotsa stuff out there (Like Promoe and Aesop Rock) that actually consists of intelligent lyrics, not bout being shot or women and stuff.

But I guess I do listen to metal more, but for me I like good rap/hiphop just as much as good metal, so it's a tie for me.

also, why the f is there no poll?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Mar 27, 2009,
Well, allow me to say that the only kinda pop that i like is the not-so-pop pop in the eyes of pop fans, but i despise rap and hip-hop, i mean come on, not only is the beat annoying, the lyrics are retarded. Think Soulja boy, all his stuff sounds the same...the same **** that it always sounds like, ugh, and what's worse is that a lot of the people in my school love rap and hip-hop, i just can't stand it. Once again, the only rap i can tolerate is the not-so-rap rap, like Because i got high by Afroman, retarded song, but it's still funny, and it's not really rap. A band i also despise is the Jonas brothers, they suck.

Metal on the other hand, is much better, it doesn't have the same annoying drum beat, and it's lyrics are about something other than how you woke up, f***ed a pinata, smoked a bowl, went to work, smoked another bowl, went to the bar, got a lap dance, and then choked on your own puke at the end of the day because you're just that stupid. Which is what rap is pretty much, metal rock at least say allow the musician to express their thoughts, like System of a Down's BYOB, if you see the lyrics for that song, then you get their opinion on the war. And also when you listen to metal, you've got a variety of options. Dethmetal, black metal, thrash metal, lighter metal (like Lacuna Coil who's clumped under metal). Basically, if i was stuck in room with soulja boy, Snoop Dog, Eminem, and a buncha other retards, i think i'd just steal the gun that one of them is bound to have and shoot myself rather than brag that i got to see famous "rappers".

And there you have it, my opinion on metal vs rap/hip-hop/pop.
Metal = good 4 me
Pop = eh, if it's not american pop like Brittany Spears, J-pop is slightly more tolerable
Hip-hop = F*** NO!
Rap = 1 song and that's it
Quote by LilM-experiment
Well, allow me to say that the only kinda pop that i like is the not-so-pop pop in the eyes of pop fans, but i despise rap and hip-hop, i mean come on, not only is the beat annoying, the lyrics are retarded. Think Soulja boy, all his stuff sounds the same...the same **** that it always sounds like, ugh, and what's worse is that a lot of the people in my school love rap and hip-hop, i just can't stand it. Once again, the only rap i can tolerate is the not-so-rap rap, like Because i got high by Afroman, retarded song, but it's still funny, and it's not really rap. A band i also despise is the Jonas brothers, they suck.

Metal on the other hand, is much better, it doesn't have the same annoying drum beat, and it's lyrics are about something other than how you woke up, f***ed a pinata, smoked a bowl, went to work, smoked another bowl, went to the bar, got a lap dance, and then choked on your own puke at the end of the day because you're just that stupid. Which is what rap is pretty much, metal rock at least say allow the musician to express their thoughts, like System of a Down's BYOB, if you see the lyrics for that song, then you get their opinion on the war. And also when you listen to metal, you've got a variety of options. Dethmetal, black metal, thrash metal, lighter metal (like Lacuna Coil who's clumped under metal). Basically, if i was stuck in room with soulja boy, Snoop Dog, Eminem, and a buncha other retards, i think i'd just steal the gun that one of them is bound to have and shoot myself rather than brag that i got to see famous "rappers".

And there you have it, my opinion on metal vs rap/hip-hop/pop.
Metal = good 4 me
Pop = eh, if it's not american pop like Brittany Spears, J-pop is slightly more tolerable
Hip-hop = F*** NO!
Rap = 1 song and that's it

This topic needs to be closed
its like asking any man, do you like girls or boys? metal is like saying girls and answering boys is like answering boys, especially in Ultimate Guitar, so you question is kinda obvious, and i know that the mainstream music is ****
They're two very different genres, and they have different qualities. Most mainstream rap has awful lyrics, but most intelligent/not so popular lyrics are much better then metal lyrics.

Compare the two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDUbEqqFLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSNrQgDvhM

When it all comes down to it, it's an opinion. I'm not a huge fan of either genre, but I enjoy them about the same. Rap is underrated, and even if you don't enjoy (which is perfectly fine), saying that most of it is about shooting people and having sex is just untrue.
This thread is a joke.
Quote by IcePh0enix
When it all comes down to it, it's an opinion. I'm not a huge fan of either genre, but I enjoy them about the same. Rap is underrated, and even if you don't enjoy (which is perfectly fine), saying that most of it is about shooting people and having sex is just untrue.

Not really, just on UG. But I wouldn't put much thought into that, considering a lot of people here are close-minded 13 year olds like the guy 4 posts above.
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Mar 29, 2009,
METAL.

/thread
Quote by flabber.gast
I used to be a big hip-hop fan, but lately my interest has Wayned a Lil.

i'll take pop over metal any day. the only metal i like is iron maiden and some metallica. other than that, green day, blink-182, john mayer, jack johnson, paramore, sugar ray, etc...
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by LucasGtrGod
this thread makes me want to kill people.

Wow, everybody really thinks that their music is better than everybody elses. Why do metalheads think they are so much better than everybody else.

95% of metal is **** also guys.

Open your ****ing minds.

I remember you saying 90% in another thread. Found more ****ty bands?
Yeah, damn metalheads should get off their high horse and actually learn that half of the stuff they listen to rip offs the other half of metal.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Page 1 of 2