I'm looking at buying my first valve amp and I've got my eye on two.

The first is the orange AD30 twin channel combo. Its a 30 watt combo with ECC83s for the preamp stage and EL84s in the poweramp stage and has 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30s.

The second is the Fender Hotrod Deville combo. Its a 60 watt combo with 12AX7s in the Preamp stage and 6L6s in the poweramp stage with 2x12 Eminence "Fender special design speakers".

I haven't mentioned price because I have no money right now anyway, and I want to get opinions based on each amp's merits not including price.
I play RHCP, Muse, Radiohead, The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys. For my band I want an Arctic Monkeys "Whatever People Say I am..." type sound, but with a bit of versitility. I currently play an epiphone Les Paul std and I'm gonna buy a MIA strat after I buy one of these amps.

Thanks in advance.
I have the Deville 4x10 and I couldn't be happier with it. It does not produce metal sounds - however, the sustain and power of this amp make for a very good all around sound. You want to thrash? Get a pedal!
cws92
To my ears the Epi you have will sound better through the Fender. But both amps should cover the styles/sounds you are looking for. For a classic Strat you would appreciate that bit of extra power, too. Naturally there is nothing better than trying both out with the guitar you have and the one you plan to buy.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
To my ears the Epi you have will sound better through the Fender. But both amps should cover the styles/sounds you are looking for. For a classic Strat you would appreciate that bit of extra power, too. Naturally there is nothing better than trying both out with the guitar you have and the one you plan to buy.

I dont really need the extra power cos most of the places I play have awesome PAs, plus I want to be able to play at home- and 30W tube is loud for that already. I'm going to my nearest capital on Friday to try out the two amps with my guitar and a strat, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.
wait, you are comparing a $2200 Orange with a $1000 Fender?

i'm confused. and for your styles i would say the orange would cover them better since it sounds as though you want a definite british/dark british sound.

addendum: and i know you did not want to mention price, but it is a pretty big factor in any "which amp" decision.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 24, 2009,
Yeah this is apples and oranges... literally. no dissing Fender amps, I was close to getting one a while back, but I'd definitely look at the Orange twice, if you can fund it.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by guy_tebache
I dont really need the extra power cos most of the places I play have awesome PAs, plus I want to be able to play at home- and 30W tube is loud for that already. I'm going to my nearest capital on Friday to try out the two amps with my guitar and a strat, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Dude seriously.... a 30w tube amp is only a tad quieter than a 120w tube amp. and you never know about the pa thing
and as for the deville, i play one at my college and it is pretty sweet for those types of sound... then again i have never played an orange. my guess is that the orange would be better (seeing the 1000 price gap)
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The price here (Australia) is a lot closer. Its more like $1800 for the fender vs $2300 for the Orange. But I honestly dont know the difference yet. I havent played that many tube amps and I'm not that sure how much difference there is between a $2000 amp and a $2500 one.
Quote by guy_tebache
The price here (Australia) is a lot closer. Its more like $1800 for the fender vs $2300 for the Orange. But I honestly dont know the difference yet. I havent played that many tube amps and I'm not that sure how much difference there is between a $2000 amp and a $2500 one.

well, for starters, those two amps have very different voice-ings. the fender is a bright american voiced amp, while the orange is a dark british voiced amp.