hows it goin, new here.

lookin a bit of advice on recording electric guitar... clean sounds that is.

ive heard d.i'ing is good for clean sounds. but ive also heard that micing in amp is always best.

if so whats a good amp.

oh by the way im recording into ableton live

cheers

www.myspace.com/ddmusic08
if you want a warm clean sound for recording that isn't to noisy i would suggest a tupe amp, i recently bought a vox valvetronix AD30VT and its perfect for recording. the sound is awesome and it has a built in and adjustable noise reducer for high gain and loud volume settings.
What kind of amp do you have right now?
What's your budget?

Micing an amp is probably the best way, but with the cost of a mic/preamp/a-to-d setup, and considering you're only doing cleans, you might be better off with a simpler solution.
anything you like with good cleans
just be sure you also have a decent mic and such

Edit: because i'm short on money i use a distortion pedal with a cab modeling mixer out as a preamp directly into my comp
Last edited by God, at Mar 24, 2009,
this should be in Riffs and Recordings, but i'll give my answer here.

for micing, i'm about to pick up a shure 57A beta, but any decent dynamic will mic a cab well. if you want the best/warmest cleans as possible, you should use a ribbon mic, but, as i previously said, a good dynamic mic will do great. condenser mics would also work, but they may not pick up distortion as well as a dynamic mic can (as far as i know)

you should run this into an interface before into your computer if you are going that route, or into a mixer/recording device if you are going that route.
Quote by JayLacelle
if you want a warm clean sound for recording that isn't to noisy i would suggest a tupe amp, i recently bought a vox valvetronix AD30VT and its perfect for recording. the sound is awesome and it has a built in and adjustable noise reducer for high gain and loud volume settings.

That's not a tube amp

Micing and amp is the way to go.
Quote by Skierinanutshel

you should run this into an interface before into your computer if you are going that route, or into a mixer/recording device if you are going that route.

i guess it'll go through my mixer and out n into the sound card.

surely a pre amp isnt necassary if micing a tube?

cheers
What would the quality be like with using a USB mic held up to the amp for a cheaper solution? I know it wouldn't be professional level but will it sound decent at least?
Quote by TheCatInTheHat
What would the quality be like with using a USB mic held up to the amp for a cheaper solution? I know it wouldn't be professional level but will it sound decent at least?

quite poor, those USB condenser mics usually have sub-standard capsules and are more intended for people doing podcasts.

Oh, and the AD30VT is not a tube amp, i own one myself
Last edited by TheDriller at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
quite poor, those USB condenser mics usually have sub-standard capsules and are more intended for people doing podcasts.

Oh, and the AD30VT is not a tube amp, i own one myself

Interesting. Is there any USB mic out there that would do an adequate job? I'm trying to save money so I'm curious.
Quote by ned-ryarson
i guess it'll go through my mixer and out n into the sound card.

surely a pre amp isnt necassary if micing a tube?

cheers

a preamp is needed for using any type of mic that requires phantom power.

addednum: and another +1 to the AD30VT not being a tube amp. it isnt.
thanks guys. long time guitar player here. ive only recorded synths and samples though.

lookin fourth to gettin into this