1 - When someone says they can bench XX lbs is that including the weight of the bar?

2 - How much can you bench?

3 - do you favour high reps or lower reps with more weight?
Experience is something you don?t have, until just after you need it.
1. yes

2.idk. like 150 when i was like 16 was the last
time i checked.

3.higher reps would make the most sense.
Quote by fearofthemark
A wild asshole appeared!

fearofthemark used GTFO

the june 09'er fled!

Rip Heavens Gate
1 - Yes

2 -265

3 -Low, because thats how you get STRONGER!
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
high reps/lighter weight tone your muscle and low reps/heavier weight builds muscle.
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
Abuline acoustic
Yamaha acoustic
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
I was on the bench yesterday n may mate said the bar is 20kg..... is this likely/def right/def wrong???

1. Yes

2. A massive 120lb

3.Medium
1. Yup

2. Max is around 215. I usually use 150x10 or 165x5 if I'm doing a routine, though.

3. Moderate (8-10 reps)

Quote by TheMuffinMan40
high reps/lighter weight tone your muscle and low reps/heavier weight builds muscle.

Low rep (4-6 reps, 3-5 sets) is ideal for pure strength gains.

Moderate reps (8-10, 3 or 4 sets) will lead to the most size gains.

High reps (11+) do burn more calories, "toning" (losing bodyfat covering your muscular build) if you do a ton of them and eat right. (Eating right and cardio are what you need to do to become "toned" first, though.) High reps also work better for size gains on the extremities of the limbs (Forearms, calves, some bicep) with some people.
1. bar is included
2. my max is around 205
3. i usually do moderate. I start out at around 155, and work my way up to 205 adding tens until i get to 195 and then adding 2 5s for the final lift. then i do inclines.
Too cool for a signature.
I use only dumbells for incline presses. I do 4 sets of 15 with 30lbs. I've had a lot of shoulder injuries pushing too much for less reps.
where are the feasts we were promised?
Quote by Slaveaway
I was on the bench yesterday n may mate said the bar is 20kg..... is this likely/def right/def wrong???

A full size olympic bar is usually 20Kg..

SH
Quote by cheeksar
1 - When someone says they can bench XX lbs is that including the weight of the bar?

2 - How much can you bench?

3 - do you favour high reps or lower reps with more weight?

1. Yes it does....
2. Dunno, haven't benched in 2 years as it sucks for chest growth
3. Both / either / neither, depends on my goals

SH
Quote by TheMuffinMan40

STFU if you don't know what you're talking about. You can't TONE a muscle, you can build it (make it grow), but not tone. Toning is normally associated with losing bodyfat.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by Slaveaway

That is correct... at least with the bars I use...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
For some reason, in England, we say how much we bench in kg

which annoys the hell out of me, because saying "I bench 85kgs" is nowhere near as impressive as saying "i bench 187lbs"

Wait, thats still not very impressive...

DAMN
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Quote by dantheman558
For some reason, in England, we say how much we bench in kg

which annoys the hell out of me, because saying "I bench 85kgs" is nowhere near as impressive as saying "i bench 187lbs"

Wait, thats still not very impressive...

DAMN

Also, most people will say "I bench 100kg im soooo awesome". The awesomeness fades when I find out they are benching that in a machine
1. Yes it includes the weight of the bar (usually 45 lbs)

2. I've never maxed out but I rep usually around 215 lbs

3. I used to power lift but stopped 3 months ago so....short reps, 5 reps with explosive bursts as the goal.

4. dont listen to these virgins (morons that are yelling "YO BRING DIS THREAD TO TEH BODYBUILDIN FORUM OR ILL REPOOOTTT U!!!!!), they have small dicks and are angry all the time .
Last edited by S)E-Javelin at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by duggyrocks
Also, most people will say "I bench 100kg im soooo awesome". The awesomeness fades when I find out they are benching that in a machine

+1

Also, dont you hate when they say they can do it, on a Smith for instance, but their technique is atrocious? I mean, feet on the bench, arched back, and they bring the bar down about a foot, and count THAT as a rep?!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Quote by Mr.hurricane
You should probably brang this to the bodybuilding thread
lol icwatudidthar
1. yes

2. 215

3. Both, I work up to really low reps with high weight, and do burn out sets afterwards with low weight and high reps