I started the SS vs Tube thread and I started looking at the ISP Theta. I was pretty dead set on the Carvin Legacy II. The other one I was considering was the JSX (the only one I can physically try). I have to go by internet clips and reviews, and you guys. Most of the reviews of the ISP come from 3 people (who write multiple reviews on the same site). The original Legacy gets good reviews. The JSX also gets good reviews. The JSX is more versatile than the Legacy (not sure about the II) but the cleans and lead tone kill the JSX. I actually haven't heard any good rhythm played on the Legacy. I know Vai is a lead player, but I'm not sure if rhythm playing is its weak point. Another thing is that the Legacy is meant to sound a certain way and to have a certain tone. The ISP has more for finding your own tone. The rhythm tone is tighter on the ISP. They're all around the same price. It's hard to know which sounds better through computer speakers and actually playing them. Especially when you don't get to cycle through the sounds yourself. Bad players and poor EQers make it harder. It also doesn't help that I have a bad ear 90% of the time. I play a lot of 80s-like stuff like motley crue, poison, ratt, and scorpions. Which would suit me better? I will be playing with a GT-10 and both Humbucker and Single-Coil equipped guitars. So it has to sound good for both.

ISP
http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=67
http://www.guitarplayertv.com/index.html?channel=amps&videofile=gpgear/gptv_f08_isptheta

Carvin
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VL100
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Mar 24, 2009,
I can try the JSX (and I did but it didn't blow me away). But Carvins have to be ordered direct from them and no one carries ISP amps anywhere close to me.
The JSX is much better once you really get to dial in your tone. And as a Carvin Owner I can tell you that carvin amps really are great......and if you are willing to spend some time with them you can dial in just about any tone!

I would stay away from ISP amps.......I have heard them before, and they sound like a fart.
i would go for the jsx. i played it and liked it a lot
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I personally didn't like the JSX that much. Nothing bad about it, but there was just nothing that I loved about it. It was my favorite amp that I tried in that price range though, but it definitely didn't do anything that amazing. The thing about the Legacy is that it's not versatile at all. But it does what it does very well (lead and clean) The thing about the ISP is that they have 2 active preamps per channel. It's probably very easy to make it sound bad. But I like some of the demos I've heard while hating others. It's really up to the player to make it sound good. The speakers also are very important in the ISP's tone and that's something that I can't hear from demos
i wouldnt get that theta if i were you
the jsx has active eqs on the crunch and ultra channels, so it gives a wide variety of tones
it just takes a lil tweaking
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I know it has active EQ's, but the JSX is my last choice of the 3. It just didn't do anything special for me. It's a good, solid amp though. The Legacy's lead channel is one of the best I've ever heard. The cleans are also very good. It does those things a lot better than the JSX, but the JSX may be better for rhythm. Why would you stay away from the Theta?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I know it has active EQ's, but the JSX is my last choice of the 3. It just didn't do anything special for me. It's a good, solid amp though. The Legacy's lead channel is one of the best I've ever heard. The cleans are also very good. It does those things a lot better than the JSX, but the JSX may be better for rhythm. Why would you stay away from the Theta?

it looks chincy to me, from hearing it and seeing it, though i have never played it.
and honestly, the legacy is a good amp, but the jsx has great cleans and a super broad and versatile sound. this is all opinion of course
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I didn't like the cleans very much on the JSX. It is versatile but it doesn't stand out much. I'm looking for originality. You know how you can know a song is by A7X just by the tone of one sustained note in the intro? That's what I'm looking for. I need something that can do that and other things well. The JSX is a good all-around amp, but it just doesn't have that "thing." That's why I'm looking at amps that not everyone has.
yeah good point. though i now will have to ask.... how much money do you have to spend?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
about $1700 for a combo. But I would spend more for something good. $2000 is probably my absolute limit. But I would prefer the cheaper options. I also would like something with variable wattage since I don't need 100. I do need high gain though.
fractal axe fx?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I'd probably get a JSX. I mean I haven't tried all the amps so my opinion doesn't really matter. Just basing it on price and what I already know about the JSX.
Quote by Holy-Diver
fractal axe fx?

That's out of my range since I'll need something to play it through.
my bad. i will stand with the jsx
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
**** for that price you can get the Marshall JVM410c used and have any tone you ever needed at your fingertips.
The ISP looks nice, but with that money you could get a usedAxeFX processor or Vetta, which judging by clips and my ears destroys the Theta. But, I've no personal experience, so it's hard to judge.
I've heard the Legacy I live through the Carvin cab (Legacy cab?), and it sounded great. Took pedals EXTREMELY well, and had tones for anything from Tom Petty to Metallica, and Skynyrd to MXPX. Others argue that it is not versatile, but hell, from what I heard that night, it was quite versatile.
The JSX is tried and true, and I don't think I need to elaborate on it. It'd be my top choice with the Legacy. Although, the JSX will probably be better for metal.

You'd be using the GT-10 for effects... right? I trust you are.

I'd suggest the JSX over the Legacy. It's not that Legacy is bad, but the JSX is capable of sounding better for what you are playing.

But, if you ever can TRY THEM OUT.
I can take back any of the amps I get if I don't like it, the only thing I would pay shipping it back. If I'm going for something unique, is it worth giving the isp a shot? It looks good on paper, but there are no good clips of it and nowhere to try it out.