So, I am not trying to brag, but every other technique comes easier to me than SWEEP PICKING! It is so frustrating!

I am curious to know how to make it easier? I know practice, practice, practice... but I have been playing for 7 years and it is still tough. I have tried slowing things down and building up speed, but I only show little improvement. Does anyone else have this problem with sweep picking?
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
my problem is i can do it perfectly fine one day, as fast and clean as i want, then the next i sound like a total noob i dont get it, its like i forget how to do it within like 15 hours
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
What is your problem when speeding it up?
Sloppyness?
Missing notes?
Etc.
Ibanez ICT-700 WH

Behringer V-Amp Pro

Fender Frontman 25A
Try being patient with it. Not everything will come easy y'know.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Try the Sweep picking youtube lesson Vids. The concept of sweeping was confusing to me until i watched a few. Certain sweeps need to start on a certain upstroke or downstroke to be able to do the sweep...

Can you play arrpegios?
Quote by RCA1186
my problem is i can do it perfectly fine one day, as fast and clean as i want, then the next i sound like a total noob i dont get it, its like i forget how to do it within like 15 hours

This just sounds like you'v ebeen playing for a year or so, and think you have sweep picking down.

Im currently learning it so im building up my speed.
Quote by RCA1186

Same here!

On three thing sweeps I have trouble hitting the B string clearly enough, and on 5 string sweeps my picking is to far ahead of my left hand movement. If that makes sense...

I guess it really comes down to being patient.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
how do you become a faster runner?

how do you get better at a video game?

how do you get better at math?
Quote by lethaldosage45
Same here!

On three thing sweeps I have trouble hitting the B string clearly enough, and on 5 string sweeps my picking is to far ahead of my left hand movement. If that makes sense...

I guess it really comes down to being patient.

Im just having trouble synchronizing them both :S My fretting hand can go quick enough, and so can my picking. But getting the two to go hand in hand is gonna take me a while ://////////////
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
Im just having trouble synchronizing them both :S My fretting hand can go quick enough, and so can my picking. But getting the two to go hand in hand is gonna take me a while ://////////////

Just practice dude, It'll all be worth it when you finally are able to pull it off.
I find it easier with a lower tune on my guitar.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by steeLmonkeyz

yeah same problem. Once that happens, ill be in heaven. I want to play as many Children of Bodom/Sinergy songs as possible! Later on Ill learn some Nevermore on the 7 string... but Bodom seems like a decent sweeping band.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
practice... just listen to Skull Beneath the Skin. Intro = Sweep Picking
i should learn sweep picking, almost everyone i know thinks someones amazing becuase they can sweep pick, i can somewhat do it, not fast ofcourse
you just need to practice. its like alternate strumming, tapping, hammer ons/pull-offs. dont expect to pick up the guitar, say: "Im Eddie Van Halen" and tap like a wrestler. just practice, and if still nothing - either youre not practising well or enough, or you expect big results too soon
Again! Practice, Practice, Practice!
I know it's super frustrating. I've been playin for almost 16 years and I still cant do many of the things I want to with the Guitar.
You should check out Jeff Loomis' new guitar Instruction DVD from Guitar World.
It's really great and has helped me alot.

Sometimes you just need a different take on something and the doors in your mind open up a bit and next thing you know you're over the hump!

Be patient and persevere!

Good Luck!
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
You practice sweep picking. I don't really know what else to say haha. Stay relaxed and don't tense up
Really slow it down, I know it sucks doing them really slow but think only about making every note clean and movements perfect. After only a few hours of this your sweeps will be way better. Playing them too fast sets you back as they become sloppy and your brain learns to be sloppy when fast. Play them only as fast as you can perfectly, gradually increase the tempo. 6bpm steps.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 24, 2009,
SIMPLE solution: slow the **** down, and play at a speed that every sweep is as clean as the one before it and the one after.

Gradually you will speed up naturally and be consistent. Sweeping takes a long time to master.

Yes, if you practice a **** LOAD in the beginning, you will get it down, but it wont be until months, possibly years, later will you have actually mastered it.

I practice sweeps all the time, even though I think I have them mastered, I still practice them slow and fast, to make sure im 100% clean. Nothing worse than some retard trying to sweep faster than he is capable of doing it.

SLOW AND CLEAN.

/end
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by Guitar Skater
how do you become a faster runner?

how do you get better at a video game?

how do you get better at math?

This, a thousand times this. Not everything comes easily, not even with years of practice.

Sweep picking is like body building: in body building, you can't expect to have the mass of a seasoned lifter in just a few short years. Sure, in 2 years of hard lifting you can get great results and be in unbelievably better shape than you were, but you still won't have even CLOSE to the kind of mass a pro builder would.

Same with sweeping. It's just not one of those things that comes quickly. The best way I've heard sweep picking explained, as far as "how to conquer it", is in the comments of this youtube video

Click!

As you'll see, it's a very talented entry to Dean's shredder search competion a while back. Here's the dialogoue:

mcrfreak001

"teach me your ways of sweeping o.o please"

DougFCKNSteele

"Sure thing; start slow, use a metronome, do that from now on until death. between 3-6 hours a day."

It's just a lot of hard work, hour after week after month after year of practice, and a DESIRE to get better. There is no easy way to acquire the muscle mass of a pro body builder in 2 years, just like there is no easy way to sweep like that guy can in two years.

Even if you're on steroids as a 'builder, you still can't do it in two years. It's physically impossible. Some things just take time, and lots of it.
If practicing doesn't work, then obviously that isn't, uh, working, haha

Practicing is getting the memory in your hands; but that doesn't matter at all unless you have strength and technique

I don't think people understand how important strength is, and how important, and what exactly is vertical learning. Vertical learning isn't just going through exercises of each technique; it's making every technique better.

If you can't tremolo with your wrist, learn to do that first. It is a combination of rotating your wrist like turning a doorknob, or twitching your wrist like knocking on a door. Take your pick and simply pick on a plane. Do down and up "strokes" on a desk. Think of it like drawing a quick little line, not exactly straight. Like wwwww. If you're left handed, this will be really hard at first. You might as well learn how to write with your right hand. You should be able to draw around ten v's in a second if they are small enough, that is like playing 20 note per second.

When you tremolo, play all downs at first. Down, down down. Now let your pick make an upstroke too. Your pick angle is important. Your pick should be right above the string so the downs and ups are even.

Think of it like drawing quick lines on an invisible surface.

Then learn how to focus on the up strokes.

Is your hand strong enough? Even if you think it is it might not be.
Do finger permutations across all six strings, 1234, 1243, 1324, 1342, etc. all the way to 4321 there are 24 of them.
Then do the same thing with your hand on the other side of the neck, lay your guitar on your lap and don't put your thumb under the neck. Just play it like a piano.
Then do two string sweeps with your two weak fingers until they aretoo weak to move.

D D U U D D U
-------5-6p5----------5-6p5
--5h6---------6-5h6------------

Then, do the same thing piano style.

Playing piano style teaches you to play with the very ****ing tip of your finger, which makes everything easier, faster, and your hammer ons and pull offs cleaner and louder. Think of your finger as an arc. It feels really weird to play with the part of your finger right by the nail, but do it a little bit so you know what it feels like. You want to be right between the feeling of playing with your pads and playing under your nails.

Playing piano also strengthens the muscles on the outside of your fingers.

then!

if your right hand is retarded

do the same thing! play your guitar like a lefty

if you learn to fret with your picking hand, you will be able to pick faster. Your right hand fingers will be stronger and more coordinated. You don't need to be able to play everything both ways, but just go through every permutation across all six string two or three times, and do it a few times a day

and as far as the sweeping motion goes, it is more like strumming, but you're picking needs to be tight too. Play staccato on one string. Play quarter notes at like 80 bpm, but make each note quick and cut it off by resting your pick on the other side of the string. Your pick shouldn't actually let go of the string, just flip to the other side.

then! practice the same way with picking on different strings, inside picking and outside

D U D U D U
e-------x------x------x---
b----x-----x------x-------

U D U D U D
e-------x------x------x---
b----x-----x------x-------

The point is to play with just the tip of your pick and have your pick in place ahead of time. After you pick immediately move to the next position and wait for the click to pick. Think of it like preparing each pick instead of just flying around. I guess you could say it's pick and move... pick and move...

And remember to not hesitate at the top and bottom of each sweep. Even though there is usually an upstroke to a pull off at the top of each arpeggio, you still need to start your upstrum of the next string at the right time, so do the upstroke, and immediately do it so that instead of being late it is right on time. Don't hesitate!

If the top or bottom of the sweep is a problem for you right hand, practice it! Normal and piano style to help your left hand more too!

D D U D D U
e-------4--7p4------4--7p4--
b---5-------------5------------
D U U D U U
a----------5----------5------------
e----4h7----7-4h7----7----------

Also, remember that each note is individual, but perfectly in place between other notes. Your fretting fingers have three positions: fretted, muted, and open. Every time you fret a note, the note before it stops at the same time. One finger moves from muted to fretted as the other moves from fretted to muted.

Go super slow. Start with all four fingers in the muting position. Every time you press one finger down, the one before it moves back to muting the string.
D D D D U U U U
e--------1-1--------
b------2-----2------
g----3---------3----
d--4-------------4--

Do all 24 finger permutations.

Oh and do them piano style as well lol

Oh and practice rasgueado strumming with both hands. It will strengthen and coordinate you fingers. Strum down with each finger like this: pinky, ring, middle, index, pinky, ring, middle, index, etc. Then! Do it the other way! Index, middle, ring, pinky, etc. Then just do pairs of fingers: pinky ring, pinky ring, etc

If you do all this crap for an hour every week you will be amazed how fast you play. It will help you with legato immensely as well.

Now that your hands are strong enough and coordinated, practice the sweep you want, making sure to do it all perfectly.
Go slow, connect each note but don't overlap. Then speed it up a bit and get the memory in your fingers. Then speed it up more and don't hesitate! then repeat.

THEN! do the sweep you want piano style.

If you aren't willing to do all this, you don't deserve to sweep!

Now, if you want to go above and beyond (as if it didn't already seem like it lol), you will learn how to do all of this like a lefty. Being able to play lefty helps with everything you do as a righty. If your right hand can fret as good as it can pick, your picking and tapping will be much faster.
Last edited by eddievanzant at Mar 24, 2009,