Well my uncle gave me a really old acoustic/classical (I'm not sure which). I restrung it with nylon classical strings because it had 4 nylon on before and it just doesn't sound like a guitar any help please?
I'll post pics later and maybe recording.
It says inside on a worn sticker:
Musical guitar
Elbazzini
Hand made
??????wood product of Italy

And the bridge isn't like a normal bridge it's like a triangle with a piece of metal on the end that the strings hook on to via a knot

It has 17 frets and 6 strings
Just wondering if anyone can help
how old does it appear to be?
does the headstock have the huge slots for the tuning posts along with open gear tuners like a classical guitar? or does it have tuners more like on an electric guitar?

how big is the body? if its a large deadnought body, its obviously not that old, nor a classical guitar.

is the fretboard wide and flat like a classical guitar?
I don't think it's full size
The body is fairly small and yes the headstock has two long holes on it
is there any sign of a truss rod? look inside the the soundhole towards the neck of the guitar and see if you can see a hole that you might be able to adjust a truss rod through.

it sounds like either an INCREDIBLY old acousitc (probably not) or a pretty old classical with a weird bridge.

in either case it should be strung with nylon strings.

what do you mean that it doesnt sound like a guitar? are you familiar with how nylon strings should sound?

of course, i might be wrong. want to put up some pics (as many as possible)?
There's no truss rod
Yeah I'm aware of nylon classical sound
It's when you play a chord on this guitar it's just not right single notes sound ok tho
what youre describing sounds like a muddy tone on a classical.

are the strings new that you put on it?

or is it just a cheaper guitar? does it have a solid top?
My first guitar was an Elbazzini from a junk shop, and cost me 10shillings [50p] in 1964. It was old and battered then. It cost me rather more than that to get it playable; new machine heads for a start. The 'metal piece' is a tailstock, rather than the classical bridge glued to the top. I think the top was laminated [plywood!] and ditto for the back. I modified mine with a classical guitar style bridge. Nylon strings were OK on it but even lightweight steel made it feel like it would implode. I gave it to a girl I was teaching to play; she and her parents died in a plane crash shortly afterwards. A friend had in identical one to mine, and what made it a bit spooky was that there was a name and address written into the back; it had belonged to my great uncle who had died several years before. The tone was poor, and the sound was poorer; not a great deal louder than an unplugged solid electric. In terms of age, I guess that mine would certainly have been pre-1960, and my friend's would have been 1950s at the latest.
Made to strict Takamine specifications, the classical EG124SC acoustic-electric guitar is made with a solid spruce top and nato wood back & sides. The cutaway body styles provides greater fretboard access and the on-board electronics let you perform in any setting. The Takamine EG124SC offers impressive performance at a very affordable price.Tone adjustment for the Built-In N4B Preamp is divided into the three most desired ranges for acoustic guitar sound control: Treble, Middle, and Bass. Each of these sliders allow the player to increase, or decrease each frequency range (or shelf) 5 decibels, to 'color' the sound, or to help control feedback problems.Guitar output volume is controlled by the Gain slider, The Battery Check Switch allows the player to quickly test the available 'power' of the user-installed 9-volt battery. The 'Easy-Out' Battery Compartment makes changing the 9-volt battery simple.
It's just dawned on me. The actual bridge is missing! That's why it sounds so poor. That's why chords don't work.