im rewiring my stratocaster HSH and also putting coil taps on both pickups and a killswitch,

BUT

my soldering iron doesnt seem to be capable of tinning the tip

i know how to do it, and i have been able to do it on the soldering irons at school but my tip just doesnt tin...

any reasons why?

help would be appreciated!
get a better one i guess. also i had that problem and my tip was bad, i just switched the tip. try that.
It might not be clean enough
It might not be hot enough for the solder you are using
It might be too hot for the solder you are using
It might not have enough flux

In my experience the number 1 problem is the tip is too dirty. Make sure there is no black on the tip of your iron then get it hot, put some solder on there and stick it into a pot of flux. Take it out and if it doesn't look good wipe it on a wet sponge, re dip in flux, wipe it on the sponge again, put solder on it, and dip it in the flux once again. Do this enough times and eventually the tip will be clean enough to tin.
Not taking any online orders.
but its a brand new soldering iron, how can it be too dirty already?

the solder either evaporates or runs straight off the tip into a little ball of solder

i have like 100 rattling around my working area haha
Probably too oxidized! The oxide coating blocks the heat transfer preventing the soldering iron tip from melting the solder. Tips these days are usually plated over the copper to reduce this effect but older copper tips suffer from it.
You can... replace the tip, Try wiping it when hot on a damp sponge and quickly tinning the tip with solder immediately after to prevent re-oxidization or if this doesn't work lightly file, wirebrush or sand the oxides off the tip first when cold. Then plug the iron in and be ready to tin the tip with solder as it heats up.

BTW use only tin/lead solder for electronics! 60/40 or eutectic 63/37 ratio with either rosin Core or liquid flux.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Torbjorn 66
but its a brand new soldering iron, how can it be too dirty already?

the solder either evaporates or runs straight off the tip into a little ball of solder

i have like 100 rattling around my working area haha

The dust and chemicals in the air will burn onto your iron tip so a hot iron can get too dirty to tin in just a minute or two. Depending on the type of tip you are using, oxidation can be a big problem too. Weller tips are horible for this.

It sounds like there is a chance that your iron is too hot when you are trying to tin it. Try cleaning it on a cold wet sponge and then going straight at it with the solder and as soon as you have a little ball of solder on the tip of your iron dunk it into the flux. Do all of this before your iron and get fully reheated after the cleaning and there is a chance the solder will spread over the whole tip. Otherwise, you may need to get some heavier solder in order to tin with.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 24, 2009,
its a 30w iron, should i just get a lower wattage one then, 25w?

if its too hot i cba with the hassle of doing all that ****
^it's not the wattage of the iron so much as the size of solder you are using. Really fine solder needs a lower wattage iron. I still suspect that if you clean, add solder, and dunk in flux fast enough you will be fine. It does take some practice to get the hang of it.
so to get the dust and stuff off the tip should i use light sandpaper or something?

and then turn it on, clean with a wet sponge when its hot enough then put it in flux....
then tin it?
Avoid sandpaper at all cost! You don't want to grind down your tip but when they are really bad then sometimes you have to. I suggest you try the method I listed in my 1st post. Do it several times and eventually it should get clean enough to tin. If it's so encrusted in gunge that it's not going to clean off then break out the sand paper.
Quote by CorduroyEW
put some solder on there

solder doesnt stick to the tip at all so how do i put solder on it?
In that case you need to add solder at the same time as you are dipping into flux. That means you need to put a glob onto a tray of some sort so that you can lay your tip in it and stick the solder to it.