Music theory is not a set of rules. It is the gathered information from music created in the past. It is not something that decides what will be played but rather an explanation of what has been played. Music theory does not write music for you. It can help you write music though, as long as there's a balance between the knowledge and your creativity. Creativity is not a one-way street to composition and neither is music theory.

I just hope this clears up some things for any new-comers that want to ask or are too afraid. I highly recommend looking in to the book Harmony - Walter Piston if you get the chance.

-deuces
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Agreed, obviously.

spam!1

hi

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i agree also =]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I agree, and that is probably one of the best harmony books I have read. Infact I should go buy it >.>
I have the Harmony book, how the hell am I supposed to use it? It's very interesting, yes, but I have no idea how to use it.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
I have the Harmony book, how the hell am I supposed to use it? It's very interesting, yes, but I have no idea how to use it.
How does one use anything? Apply it. Try the exercises, learn what he talks about, and try to apply it with whatever you do musically. After a while it will become a basis and not a struggle.

I'm still goin through the book. I just checked it out from the library but it seems damn good and has given me some inspiration.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
If this was longer, I'd suggest stickying it.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
If this was longer, I'd suggest stickying it.

If it was possible, like an intro to music theory.

It's imo the most objective and workable definition of musictheory.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Someone should write a longer, stickyable version. I'd offer to do it, but there are much more capable people hanging around.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.