Hello all,

New to the forum.

After over 10 years away from the guitar, I have started playing again. Because a decade has passed, there is much I have forgotten, this, however, isn't a bad thing. This is because it is giving me the opportunity to approach the instrument free of alot of bad habits.

I have had some formal instruction (lessons here and there as well as a theory class in college). Coming back to the instrument, I am wanting to gain a better understanding of the instrument than I had 10 years ago.

I recently acquired a copy of the Guitar Fretboard Workbook and will be working through that. I had started with Fretboard Logic but I like the approach of GFW over FL. I will however, keep FL around as supporting material. I am also going to be working on sight reading (I have New Guitar Techniques for Sight Reading by Arnie Berle). The goal is to spend some time REALLY getting to know the fretboard.

Although GFW deals with music theory, it does so in a superficial manner. Fortunately, I have had a little music theory so the topics are not completely foreign. However, I am looking at something a little more comprehensive to fill out the theory concepts covered in GFW. The books under consideration are the following:

Music Theory for Guitarists - Kolb
Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory - Surmani & Manus

My question (after all of this jabber) is would something of a general nature (such as option 2) be preferable or something guitar specific?

The Alfred book look interesting because it covers sight reading, ear training, as well as theory. On the other hand Kolb's book covers Blues and pentatonic scales as well as discussing modes.

Ultimately I hope to move on to more advanced studies in counterpoint and orchestration and want to build a foundation for this while also getting up speed on the guitar.

your thoughts?
I think you should pursue both. "Guitar theory" (for lack of a better name) teaches you the fretboard - intervals, scales, chords, arpeggios, etc that you need to create the music you want to play. General music theory will teach you ways to apply those scales, chords, etc.
Both can be valuable.
Quote by The.new.guy
Musician Talk Forum, I think, would be a better place to post this.

this is MT...

and Theory for The Contemporary Guitarist by Guy Capuzzo is great!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...