im starting up a band with influences of down, pantera,zakk wylde, corrosion of conformity, alice in chains, etc.. and ive been struggeling a little.

i need sum basic help on any scales, riff advice, basicly any ideas and how tos on stoner rock guitar playing styles on the lines of zakk wylde and down. any help is much appreciated.
Whack up the gain and you're in southernmetalsville. You probably already have but maybe Dime squeals? For that kind of thing i like to tune down half a step and stuff.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
For that kind of thing i like to tune down half a step and stuff.

Drop D works wonders too.
Use your ear, not your mind.

That is the best piece of advice any musician can take.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Those bands you've listed aren't really stoner rock(except Down tbh).
Try listening to some Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Brant Bjork & the Bros, Truckfighters, Goatsnake, Black Sabbath and Hermano for inspiration into real stoner rock/metal.
Stoner bands most commonly downtune (could be to Drop D or even C Standard), crank up the bass, incorporate a fuzz pedal and have strong pentatonic riffs. Wah pedal solos are quite common too.
Once you get the stoner tone, you'll be surprised how easily you're inspired and come up with riffs etc.
Quote by Seryaph
Use your ear, NOT YOUR MIND.

That is the best piece of advice any musician can take.

I just went into an insane rage and killed a flock of orphans. What exactly is wrong with using your brain to write music?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
I just went into an insane rage and killed a flock of orphans. What exactly is wrong with using your brain to write music?

Thinking gets in the way of playing.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use your brain. You need to provide your playing with expression and intention. You need to know when to give your audience more and when to cut back.

But using your mind gets in the way of your ear hearing the best musical course to follow.

I am also sure that this varies between genres and musicians, but it is what works for me. Also, when my favorite guitarists play their guitars, their licks and such come from a completely unconscious place. Again, they are using their brain but not their mind.

There is a difference between the two.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
Thinking gets in the way of playing.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use your brain. You need to provide your playing with expression and intention. You need to know when to give your audience more and when to cut back.

But using your mind gets in the way of your ear hearing the best musical course to follow.

I am also sure that this varies between genres and musicians, but it is what works for me. Also, when my favorite guitarists play their guitars, their licks and such come from a completely unconscious place. Again, they are using their brain but not their mind.

There is a difference between the two.

How do you know this? Did you personally asked them?

How do you know it's not an act just so you buy their albums?

Sounds to me you just believe what you want to believe. Unless you really talked to them and they explained to you how they get in touch with their unconscious (it's subconscious btw) part of their head, to play good.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by travisarnett
im starting up a band with influences of down, pantera,zakk wylde, corrosion of conformity, alice in chains, etc.. and ive been struggeling a little.

i need sum basic help on any scales, riff advice, basicly any ideas and how tos on stoner rock guitar playing styles on the lines of zakk wylde and down. any help is much appreciated.

Have you learned any music by the bands you mentioned?

The actual music is a pretty good resource.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by xxdarrenxx
How do you know this? Did you personally asked them?

How do you know it's not an act just so you buy their albums?

Sounds to me you just believe what you want to believe. Unless you really talked to them and they explained to you how they get in touch with their unconscious (it's subconscious btw) part of their head, to play good.

Well, both Hendrix and BB King have talked about it in interviews. Besides, you can just see it in the way they play in their videos. Like they are just having a chat with someone. It is completely natural.

To be honest, you may be right. But it doesn't really matter. Even if they didn't see it that way, I perceived them to see it that way and so applied it to my own playing. Now, that is the way I play the guitar. Like it is just breathing or something.

As for the difference between unconscious and subconscious. You may be right. I can't speak for my favorite musicians, but I can tell you that my licks come from somewhere that my conscious mind is not aware or conscious of.

So believe what you like, I guess. In the end it doesn't really matter. I see it my way, and you will see it your way.

Call me Charlie.
right now im in drop b. ive learned some riffs from down and BLS and a couple from kyuss but when i try to do my own riffs i can never seem to get the right sound. maybe its my timing