So I have a chord progression. It goes: Cmaj7 -> Bmin -> D -> Bmin7 -> B7
Now, this has C D E F# G A B (The D# in the B7 is more of a leading tone back to the Cmaj7). Now, I think I have a pretty good handle on my music theory. I have played the trumpet for 11 years, and have taken some semi-advanced music theory classes. But I don't get something. This progression feels like it leads back to the C, even with the 1 sharp. Which would mean C Lydian. Correct? I understand that modes aren't just major scales starting on a different note. I understand that modes are defined by their backing (i.e. you can't play D Dorian over a C F G progression, it would just be C major). Basically what I want to know: Is this a lydian progression? If not, what is it?
B7 has a D#. The B7 doesnt sound like it resolves to C either.
Last edited by blueriver at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by blueriver
B7 has a D#. The B7 doesnt sound like it resolves to C either.

The D# is a passing (leading) tone. The Bmin7 has B D F# A, the B7 has B D# F# A, and the Cmaj7 (which it resolves to) has C E G B. you can see the movement in the third from D -> D# -> E.
Quote by timeconsumer09
The D# is a passing (leading) tone. The Bmin7 has B D F# A, the B7 has B D# F# A, and the Cmaj7 (which it resolves to) has C E G B. you can see the movement in the third from D -> D# -> E.

It wouldn't really be described as a leading tone here.

That progression is ambiguous as hell, and almost completely non functional. How it resolves (or rather, where the melody on top of it resolves, since the progression doesn't) is going to be determined largely by how you play it. If you want to suggest lydian, then you're going to need to spend most of your time on that Cmaj7 chord (or, better yet, remove everything but the Cmaj7 chord). As it is, I'd say B offers a better resolution than C, since iii-IV is the typical phrygian "progression".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.