I want an amp that's good for playing White Stripes, Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, Strokes, etc. Basically, I'm looking for a tight sound that can break up well, don't need an overpowered sound. My budget is 600, but I look for deals on craigslist, so don't look at the retail aspect. Note: A vox ac30 is out of my price range. Thanks!
A USED Vox AC30

But aside from that, you can get the first two with a loud, clean amp and a fuzz box. A SF Bassman 10 can do the trick, as can an Ampeg Jet or Gemini.

Aside from that, look into Crate Vintage Club, Crate Palomino, and Crate V series amps, Peavey Classic series amps, and the Epiphone Blues Custom 30.
judging from the bands that you've mentioned, i'd recommend a good clean amp like a hot rod deluxe, which go for $400ish used most of the time, and then you should grab a TS-9 and a fuzz of some kind, probably a muff-family fuzz.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde Distortion/Overdrive Pedal.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe + Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde Distortion/Overdrive Pedal.

this would work too, but the white stripes have a very fuzzy tone sometimes.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
this would work too, but the white stripes have a very fuzzy tone sometimes.

Then any fuzz pedal you can find in addition to the other stuff would make it complete.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Then any fuzz pedal you can find in addition to the other stuff would make it complete.

although i think people are dicks when they do this...

/thread
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Can't find a used AC30? Then I'd say HRD/used Fender Twin or SF Bassman + Big Muff or other fuzz pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
+1 to what gooley said
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I have a question about the Hot Rod Deluxe. I heard that it has a crappy overdrive, but is that just the built in channel? If I use an overdrive pedal or fuzz, will it have good overdrive?
the built in overdrive on the HRD isn't really amazing, but if you're using a pedal in the clean channel for your sound you'll be more than happy with it.
^ just buy an OD pedals and boost your clean channel with it.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by RG_FANMAN
the built in overdrive on the HRD isn't really amazing, but if you're using a pedal in the clean channel for your sound you'll be more than happy with it.

This is true.

It'd get you really close to the White Stripes, although, like Dan Auerbach, Jack White runs 2 amps (a twin and a Silvertone).

The key to getting that type of tone is 2 amps. I use a Crate V33 and a Blues Custom 30, and I can nail the Black Keys live tone (though it doesn't sound nearly as massive, and I need a few other fuzzes to mess around with the toanz a bit more).
And a fuzz. You need fuzz for White Stripes and Black Keys.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
That's perfect then, just as long as the criticism isn't of the overdrive in general, I couldn't care less about the drive channel. Pedals FTW!
What about a Laney VC30? It has 2x10 speakers. How would that compare?
A VC30 (or at least the one I played) feels like a poor man's AC30 with less gain. I also hear they have some reliability issues, but if you like it go for it, just make sure you get a fuzz or at least an overdrive.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
A VC30 (or at least the one I played) feels like a poor man's AC30 with less gain. I also hear they have some reliability issues, but if you like it go for it, just make sure you get a fuzz or at least an overdrive.

A laney sounds like a laney.

A vox sounds like a vox.

I've played a VC15, and it sounds nothing like an AC30 or an AC15.
Quote by shadow__666

What? They sound completely different.

I still stand by finding a used Deville. Perfect garage rock amp, IMO.
I thought it sounded a lot like an AC30.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by RG_FANMAN
wait, what? are you calling me a dick?

noooooooooooooooooooooo. the dick comment was referring to "/thread"

your advice was actually very good, how about a +1 to bury the hatchet of ambiguity?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by RG_FANMAN

this

Edit: + a fuzz I guess
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
noooooooooooooooooooooo. the dick comment was referring to "/thread"

your advice was actually very good, how about a +1 to bury the hatchet of ambiguity?

Oh alright, it's all good dude.