I've been planning on getting an SM57 for a while, but i've been told it doesn't do acoustic guitars justice. I'm sure it sounds better than my $8 mic, but I want to know if there is a better mic I can use for electric AND acoustic guitars. I don't have enough money for multiple mics. Would an SM57 do it for me, or is there a better mic for me out there.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
not really the 57 is great for amps or live vocals, its ok for acoustic but not the best. A good condenser mic for acoustics and recording vocals. You should ideally get both, get the one you need most first.
Look for a condenser mic. If you are willing to pay the extra cash, they are worth it. One note for electric guitar, especially if you are using a lot of gain, it is more sensitive and will pick up a lot more garbage unless you have GREAT equipment (pedals, amp, guitar, etc) and are a GREAT player.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
the SM57 and SM58 are very great versatile mics. Even though some mght say it doesn't do it "justice" that just means that there are better options, like higher end condesor mics. I'd say go with the SM57. It's solid, will outlive you, and will do everything very decently. You could always buy a second mic later too. The SM57 is great for vocals and guitar (as well as drums, horns ect...) so just go get it.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I mean like...I have $100 for a mic. I'm not going to be getting another one for a long time. I need something I can use live, record an amp with and record an acoustic with. It doesn't need to be Excellent for the acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfLSPqBSCw

that's an SM57 right? Good enough for my uses.

I would get a condenser if I had the money for a nice one, but I don't. I don't want to get an entry level condenser that I can't take to shows if an SM57 will do it for me.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 24, 2009,