I'm on a hunt. I'm on a hunt for a guitar, and it's guitar season.

I'm looking for a guitar that's versatile. Above all else, this is most important. I need moderately good cleans (Red Hot Chili Pepper style stuff) and good crunch and leads (Metallica-type stuff, nothing heavier. For leads, I would say Van Halen and Guns N Roses, to Satch or Steve Vai, real saturated stuff.)

No pointy metal shapes, I dislike them. (This includes poiny-horned superstrats.). Also, I don't like acitve pickups, the tone is too sterile for my ears, and having to use batteries for my guitar is too much of a hassle for me.

tl;dr, versatile guitar, 1000$ around there.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Mar 24, 2009,
IMHO, try a telecaster... Ive got a Fender USA 2008 Standard.

John uses a telecaster himself at least half of the time, so the Peppers sound shouldnt be that hard to mimic. All I know is that I succeeded with pretty much just my guitar and an amp. On top of that, I'm fairly sure (some) Metallica songs were recorded/played using a telecaster. Again, from my own experience, the telecaster handles the Metallica sound quite nicely.

Overall the telecaster is a very versatile instrument, in my opinion. You do have to like its sound though, but seeing you're into the Peppers, a tele should suit your needs.

Disclaimer: Even with the perfect guitar and amp, you will still not be able to exactly match an artists sound. Part of that is in the technique and personal style of the player. However, you will be able to get close, and imo, the little differences make your music personal.

Hope this helped.

EDIT: Regarding the other artists you mentioned... GnR works ok-ish, though i usually grab my Gibson LP for that. Not really into the others, but I think you may be able to get the sound out of a tele. Play around with the pups and tone-control for a bit, theres a lot of tones you can make with just your guitars settings.
Last edited by Kaham at Mar 24, 2009,
I was going to say the Billy Corgan strat, but I forgot Fender has raised their prices :/

Perhaps a Fender Highway One Strat/Tele, you can occasionally find a high quality one.

Gibson Faded series is similar to the Highway One, occasionally a great one.

The Fender Road Worn Series are very nice, but pricey for Mexican Made.

Laguna LE924

Don't forget to lookout for used and do some inspecting yourself!

(Sorry for the very BIG COMPANY based search, alot of others didn't fit the criteria)
Fender Player Jaguar HH Special - its about $700 I think. Very versatile, has humbuckers that can be partially or fully split. Meaning the guitar splits the humbucker and single coil signal, and lets you blend them back together with a knob. Very cool.

Unlike most humbucker splits, the single coil sound doesn't suck balls (Fender knows their SC sound). The humbuckers are pretty high output, and bright but not brittle. I use it straight into my soldano and the strong signal really pushes the amp into a nice smooth shred. For more grit, there is a boost switch built into the guitar the muddies up the signal a bit. If you roll back the volume (not tone) you get a more classic PAF type of sound.

I highly recommend looking into it, especially at the price.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
try a schecter diamond with passives they have great cleans and really crunchy metal sounds if you play with the pickups it should be around 550 to 600 us also try a tele they are great for cleans but not really for metal ps the extra frets on the schecter make it easier to get your hand in the higher frets for the vai mettalica solos plus they come set up pretty well out of the box i dont know about teles
Quote by Kaham
IMHO, try a telecaster... Ive got a Fender USA 2008 Standard.

John uses a telecaster himself at least half of the time, so the Peppers sound shouldnt be that hard to mimic. All I know is that I succeeded with pretty much just my guitar and an amp. On top of that, I'm fairly sure (some) Metallica songs were recorded/played using a telecaster. Again, from my own experience, the telecaster handles the Metallica sound quite nicely.

Overall the telecaster is a very versatile instrument, in my opinion. You do have to like its sound though, but seeing you're into the Peppers, a tele should suit your needs.

Disclaimer: Even with the perfect guitar and amp, you will still not be able to exactly match an artists sound. Part of that is in the technique and personal style of the player. However, you will be able to get close, and imo, the little differences make your music personal.

Hope this helped.

EDIT: Regarding the other artists you mentioned... GnR works ok-ish, though i usually grab my Gibson LP for that. Not really into the others, but I think you may be able to get the sound out of a tele. Play around with the pups and tone-control for a bit, theres a lot of tones you can make with just your guitars settings.

While I agree that tele's are great guitars (I have several and LOVE them), I'm not sure they are what this guy is looking for. First of all, John Frusciante uses a Strat 95% of the time (in fact the same '62 sunburst for a long time now). A tele would sound ridiculous on most of their songs due to the higher output, and twangier brighter sound.

Metallica only uses single coil guitars for the CLEANS (like on One), and in that case they use stratocaster copies. A non-humbucking Tele flat out will not do metal well, period.

Not trying to be a jerk...but you gave pretty bad advice, I'd hate to see somebody drop $1k based on it.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I forgot to ask this first, what is your amp? It won't matter what guitar you have if you have a crappy amp.
Actually, John does use Telecasters quite a bit. By The Way was recorded mostly with Telecasters, but his main guitar is still his 62 Strat.
I'm saving for a Mesa tube combo that I saw in my local mom-and-pop store the other day. It was about 550$.

After some research, i found that it was a used DC-5, but for the time being, I'm using my Line 6 toneport w/ Gearbox and my Vox AD30VT.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
PRS CE-24 used... if you look hard enough you can find it under 1000. plays everything beautifully
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I would look into a Fat Strat or some sort of dual humbucker guitar, like an SG or Les Paul.

A fat strat would have the 5 pickup selector to give you all of the Fender tones, and a bit fatter bridge tone which would give you the metal tones you would want. You will be able to get the cleans you want and all of the metal rhythm tones as well.

I would suggest buying a used american strat. You can find those as low as $500.

You could also look into a top end Agile
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss13.html

Save some serious money with the guitar to invest in some good humbuckers that offer coil-split to give you a more single coil like sound.

ESP LTD Deluxe 1000 series are also great guitars to look at. The 400 and 500's are about the same guitar without as much abalone. A Schecter C-1 Classic might be worthwhile as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The Schecter hellraise C-1 FR is a great guitar. It has split coils for a thick humbucker sound or a single coil for music like red hot chili peppers. I think you can get it for about $800.

Have a look, I just got mine and I love it!
Les Paul Ultra II great cleans acoustic like stuff, And traditional Les Paul Tones all in one. If you turn the gain up on the Active pickup (in the neck above the neck pickup) you can get reallly dirty
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
bump.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Washburn Idol Series have coil taps, great tone and quality, They've been named the best guitar under $1000.

Also try an 80s ibanez artist on ebay they're awesome too and you'll have some cash left in your pocket
UG's Prodigal Son
Schecter C-1 Classic maybe? If I remember correctly The Hellraiser series comes with active EMG's, and TS said no actives. But the C-1 Classic comes with Seymour Duncan PASSIVE Jazz/JB combo humbuckers. The jazz would give you that good clean sound and the JB could do the crunchy metal. If i remember correctly Dave Mustaine, yes I know he is Megadeth not Metallica, used this combo before he got his signature actives. The Classic has a five way switch which I think can be used like a strat, except that position 2 and 4 are coil split humbuckers, position 3 is blending the two humbuckers. I THINK. Not entirely 100% certain

As for those lead tones I am not entirely sure because I don't really listen to those bands, but I would assume that the humbucker set up could do those tones quite well, although the sound mainly comes from the amp. Also if you bought the C-1 Classic you would have another $200 to throw around to an amp, pedals, cables, picks or whatever the hell you want.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Get one of the ESP Eclipses with Duncans....

Guitars

Or a Micheal Kelly with Coil Taps....any guitar with Coil Taps..

Rapture's suggestion is the best. Awesome quality.
you really should check into PRS...they are all about versitility. no pointy shapes, no actives.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
buy a les paul copy. not a real les paul, cuz theyre more expensive than $1000, and you might get a crappy one, what with gibson quality control nowadays. an ESP Eclipse, or a singlecut PRS, or something like that. more people in more genres of music use an LP than probably any other guitar.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)