As I stated in another thread, I've painted my guitar black, and I'm in the clear coating stage. I'm almost done with the clear coats. I heard there was a polish recommended for black colors, but I can't find it anywhere. Someone even told me that it was discontinued. So, what I need to know now is what compound and polish should I get, especially considering that the color is black?
First up, make sure whatever lacquer you use is hard, before you do anything.

Hopefully you will wet sand the guitar first.

Get some 3M Perfect It compound and a set of the buffing sponges, then use as directed.

Use a decent final wax, with Carnuba, to protect it.

After buffing, don't touch the sufrace at all for 10-20 mns to give it time to cool and reharden.
where do you get this 3m perfect it and the finesse it (pretty sure thats what its called) in stores? ive looked at many places and dont wanna buy online
Quote by savage94
where do you get this 3m perfect it and the finesse it (pretty sure thats what its called) in stores? ive looked at many places and dont wanna buy online

Not from the US, that's for sure.

Also look at Meguirs and Farecla G3.
Are the polishes mentioned specifically for black or is it really necessary to get a polish for black such a Liquid Ebony?
Your'e not buffing or polishing black, you are polishing clear...or you should be.
Quote by Skeet UK
Your'e not buffing or polishing black, you are polishing clear...or you should be.

Yes, you are right. Some other sites I researched though mentioned, after clear coating, using a polish made especially for dark or black colors such as Liquid Ebony or Black Ice. So, I was just trying to see if there is an alternative or if it's even necessary to use a polish for a color such as black. I can't find those polishes anywhere and most auto paint stores I've checked say they haven't seen those products in years.
Quote by renegade731
Yes, you are right. Some other sites I researched though mentioned, after clear coating, using a polish made especially for dark or black colors such as Liquid Ebony or Black Ice. So, I was just trying to see if there is an alternative or if it's even necessary to use a polish for a color such as black. I can't find those polishes anywhere and most auto paint stores I've checked say they haven't seen those products in years.

Coloured polishes, were used to hide swirl marks and scratches in paint work.

If you do the job right, you wont have any