Poll Options
View poll results: Bear or Les
Bear Grylls
68 37%
Les Stroud
113 62%
Voters: 182.
Page 1 of 3
Anyone check these shows out? They are abosolutely insane.

I've seen SurvivorMan more then MvW but I'm starting to get into it.
Bear Grylls is a machine..

MvW seems a bit more produced and whatnot to me, while Les is just out on his own, carrying the camera and everything.

If you haven't seen either the episodes are all over youtube.

Bear Grylls:
Camel
Eating a live frog.

SurvivorMan
Full Episodes..
Part 2.

I also think it's pretty cool how Les takes his harmonica.

So I guess the question is, Who do you think would survive longer in the wilderness?
Last edited by ShaunDiel at Mar 24, 2009,
To me, Man Vs. Wild seems so... scripted and not that dangerous. Bear has a camera crew with him for goodness sakes.
Survivorman appears to be by himself, to where he can't just go to a camera person for help if he needs it. I don't really like Man Vs. Wild that much.
Quote by JTruex
To me, Man Vs. Wild seems so... scripted and not that dangerous. Bear has a camera crew with him for goodness sakes.
Survivorman appears to be by himself, to where he can't just go to a camera person for help if he needs it. I don't really like Man Vs. Wild that much.

Yeahh that's what I said in my OP, but I still think Bear is a machine. It just seems so badass that Les is out by himself.
Quote by the humanity
they both fail.

Yeah..
SurvivorMan.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
survivorman is legit, Canadian, and entertaining, so he wins hands down

grylls' show is staged ****.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98

Yeah, Les is crazy entertaining.
And even though Bear is with a crew, he still knows his shit.
Quote by Carswell98

i love both shows, but what he said^^^
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I like Survivorman better, I've watched every episode. Watched a bit of man v wild, didn't like it.

Quote by Carswell98

Destroyed in Seconds
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
your all forgetting that the point of man vs wild is to show you survival techniques in the wild, it clearly states hes not just out there all by himself, survivor man is out there just to survive and doesnt always explain what he's doing in as much detail, and for the record I like them both just as much.
Bear is with a crew, and does all that hard-ass SAS stuff, but in reality a lot of the stuff he does is useless. Climbing down cliffs on rope with a static breaking strength of 200 pounds? Great idea! Drinking your own pee? Mmm, dehydrate yourself even more! Eating maggot infested meat (and raw fish from dirty rivers?)? Yum.

The closest Les has gotten was distilling his own pee, which was actually a smart decision.

Les always takes a tour around his area with a guide beforehand, which isn't really bad, as he isn't native to the areas. With Bear, he has an expert from the area with his crew when he does his shows as well.
Last edited by Grindar at Mar 24, 2009,
I personally like MvW. I know more of the stuff is staged, and he's in a lot less real danger than Survivorman, but he also goes well out of his way to show things that could help someone survive, but that he probably didn't need to do even if he was alone. Like drinking the water he squeezed from the elephant dung... I don't even think he was short of water in that episode. He just decided to show that it could be done. If I remember correctly.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
bear grylls just wins, scripted or not hes a survalist
ಠ_ಠ
What is a wimp like you doing in a place like this?
Quote by Grindar
Bear is with a crew, and does all that hard-ass SAS stuff, but in reality a lot of the stuff he does is useless. Climbing down cliffs on rope with a static breaking strength of 200 pounds? Great idea! Drinking your own pee? Mmm, dehydrate yourself even more! Eating maggot infested meat (and raw fish from dirty rivers?)? Yum.

The closest Les has gotten was distilling his own pee, which was actually a smart decision.

Les always takes a tour around his area with a guide beforehand, which isn't really bad, as he isn't native to the areas. With Bear, he has an expert from the area with his crew when he does his shows as well.

QFT.

That's probably the main reason I'm not a bigger MvW fan is because of the entire crew backing him up.

I added a poll too by the way.
Quote by JTruex

thats a very vallid point but i like bear better. accents = win.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
i like survivorman better but they both know their stuff about surviving. Les however takes a more practical approach to showing survival. Most people who find themselves lost or in a survival situation arent going to be swinging from vines and climbing trees like bear grylls does. they are going to be more like les and do things practically and without doing dangerous things.
grylls show is fake.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Quote by pwnerer

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Bear Grylls shows out-of-the-ordinary survival situations, extreme survival techniques. Yes its scripted and all that jazz, but the show isnt about HIM surviving, its about showing you how too. In terribly nasty ways.

Les Stroud walks around, builds a shelter, looks for water, and eats small bugs and mammals. Every Episode. EVERY. EPISODE.

, I live on the island where he did that volcano episode, lol'd heartily. Shits not dangerous for shit
Last edited by Pernell at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Pernell
Bear Grylls shows out-of-the-ordinary survival situations, extreme survival techniques. Yes its scripted and all that jazz, but the show isnt about HIM surviving, its about showing you how too. In terribly nasty ways.

Les Stroud walks around, builds a shelter, looks for water, and eats small bugs and mammals. Every Episode. EVERY. EPISODE.

Food, water, shelter. Yup. looks like the ingredients of life to me.

Bear Grylls may show you extreme survival techniques, but if he can't do it without the help of his crew, how is someone supposed to do it by themselves, much less without tools?

I rest my case. Bear Grylls and his big gay tea party need to wrap it up and let Les Stroud show people what they're supposed to do: find food, find water, and stay out of harm's way. That's how you're supposed to survive, not by climbing a hundred-foot tree up through the canopy to find shelter.

Bear Grylls = good stamina and apparently follows a good diet.
Les Stroud = slightly chubby, not in amazing shape. More like average shape.

Which of the above sounds like the average person (read: American) to you?
How the hell are you supposed to know what to do in an unusual survival situation. Sure, 9 times outta 10, Les's way is fine. What about when you've gotta go rafting down some ****ing rapids strapped to a tree? Bear shows the wierd stuff, and even tho it shows him doin it with tools, im sure, given the motivation that you're gonna die otherwise, you'd find a way to make whatever the fuck it is ur trying to build, given you know what, and have a general idea how, to build.

EDIT: the Average American wouldnt ever find themselves in a survival situation, because they are fat, lazy shits.
Last edited by Pernell at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Pernell
How the hell are you supposed to know what to do in an unusual survival situation. Sure, 9 times outta 10, Les's way is fine. What about when you've gotta go rafting down some ****ing rapids strapped to a tree? Bear shows the wierd stuff, and even tho it shows him doin it with tools, im sure, given the motivation that you're gonna die otherwise, you'd find a way to make whatever the fuck it is ur trying to build, given you know what, and have a general idea how, to build.

EDIT: the Average American wouldnt ever find themselves in a survival situation, because they are fat, lazy shits.

Bear went rafting down those rapids with a life jacket "hidden" under his jacket.
He does everything with safety gear you idiot, but thats not the point of his show. Why the hell wouldnt he use safety gear? He shows "how to", he doesnt need to risk his life at every turn.
Les Stroud is from canada. Therefore he already wins. We have it in our blood. We can survive. Man vs Wild just shoes the techniques. He does not LIVE it for a whole week.
My question is who the fvck follows the people around in Mantracker to get footage? and wouldn't a big camera guy following you around give you away?

We all know man vs wild has nothing on survivor man.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Pernell
He does everything with safety gear you idiot, but thats not the point of his show. Why the hell wouldnt he use safety gear? He shows "how to", he doesnt need to risk his life at every turn.

Excuse me? He could have at least not tried hiding it, or said something relating to the importance of wearing one. I didn't even say anything bad about him wearing one either.
Quote by Pernell

**** you dude. i hate people like you who generalize everyone.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by Jericho114
My question is who the fvck follows the people around in Mantracker to get footage? and wouldn't a big camera guy following you around give you away?

We all know man vs wild has nothing on survivor man.

Mantracker = worst show on television, even worse than Dog the bounty hunter
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Carswell98
Mantracker = worst show on television, even worse than Dog the bounty hunter

That still doesn't answer my question brah. And I'am gonna beat that guy one day (mantracker), and wipe that cocky grin off him and his horses face.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Last edited by Jericho114 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by Pernell

Fuck you asshole. *scarfs down apple pie and salutes eagle*
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Page 1 of 3