not sure if this is the right subforum for this thread but whatever

I have been playin guitar for about 9 months now self taught. i have learned a lot over the nine months including different techniques and many songs. Here are the list of things i can do and songs i can play with my 9 months of guitar expirence:
- Lots of metallica songs such as Master of Puppets and the four horsemen
- Jimi Henrdix such as Voodoo Chile and Purple Haze
- Lots of Nirvana songs even though its easy
- Bohemian Rhapsody solo
- Lots of other songs such as iron man and sunshine of your love
- Fast Tremolo Picking
- Kinda Fast downstoke picking
- Playing with teeth (just kidding)
- Some EVH tapping techniques
- Lots of scales

I want to go for some lesson soon but for teaching my self am i doing things right for my nine months of playing?
Last edited by salrap10 at Mar 24, 2009,
thats pretty good for 9 months. I've been playing more than a year and that's a bit more progress than i have
Sounds pretty good, but there's a few things missing off your list which, if you haven't looked at them, you probably want to:
Chords (!!!)
Alternate picking
Hammer-ons/Pull-offs/Slides
The only thing I learned on guitar lesson and still use are chords and improvisation solo's, and in a band or something that's all you realy need to know
Try to train your ear, as in learning by ear a song. Maybe get started in improvisation? And maybe some theory while you're at it.

Oh, and yeah, that's great for 9 months. Can you play those with very little mistakes? Record yourself and see if you hear something wrong with your playing, such as off timing or weak bending, it'll work wonders.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Sounds pretty good, but there's a few things missing off your list which, if you haven't looked at them, you probably want to:
Chords (!!!)
Alternate picking
Hammer-ons/Pull-offs/Slides

ah yes i forgot to add tht in of course i can do hammerons/pulloffs/slides, alternate pick, and power chords i jus cnt play clean chords which is kinda noobish XD
Quote by SilverDark
Try to train your ear, as in learning by ear a song. Maybe get started in improvisation? And maybe some theory while you're at it.

Oh, and yeah, that's great for 9 months. Can you play those with very little mistakes? Record yourself and see if you hear something wrong with your playing, such as off timing or weak bending, it'll work wonders.
That there's good advice.
Firstly, I doubt you can play any of these things well. This is no offense to you, I've just known alot of musicians, and that is alot of progress for 9 months. If you can, nice ****ing job. I would say you should look into theory and ear training. Technique is fun and all, but in my opinion it is the least important of the three main pillars of playing music in terms of writing music.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Firstly, I doubt you can play any of these things well. This is no offense to you, I've just known alot of musicians, and that is alot of progress for 9 months. If you can, nice ****ing job. I would say you should look into theory and ear training. Technique is fun and all, but in my opinion it is the least important of the three main pillars of playing music in terms of writing music.

thanks for the advice. i can play them prtty well. i mean its not perfect but a lot of other guitar players that listened to me play say its prtty good.
Quote by salrap10
not sure if this is the right subforum for this thread but whatever

I have been playin guitar for about 9 months now self taught. i have learned a lot over the nine months including different techniques and many songs. Here are the list of things i can do and songs i can play with my 9 months of guitar expirence:
- Lots of metallica songs such as Master of Puppets and the four horsemen
- Jimi Henrdix such as Voodoo Chile and Purple Haze
- Lots of Nirvana songs even though its easy
- Bohemian Rhapsody solo
- Lots of other songs such as iron man and sunshine of your love
- Fast Tremolo Picking
- Kinda Fast downstoke picking
- Playing with teeth (just kidding)
- Some EVH tapping techniques
- Lots of scales

I want to go for some lesson soon but for teaching my self am i doing things right for my nine months of playing?

Your list is worthless because we have no idea how well you can do those things and you're not in a position to judge your own skills objectively.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Your list is worthless because we have no idea how well you can do those things and you're not in a position to judge your own skills objectively.

ya now tht i thought about it i agree lol. i actually have to play it and show you in person. i jus wnted to here what others thought
Quote by salrap10
ya now tht i thought about it i agree lol. i actually have to play it and show you in person. i jus wnted to here what others thought
So record yourself and stick it on your profile