is it bad to have your pick angled while alternate picking? instead of having it parallel to the string I have my thumb bent forward a little which makes it at an angle. I play a lot of hardcore and metal. Is this a bad thing to get in to? or for this genre of music?
It'll change the sound a bit, but it will probably make it easier to pick faster.
Yup, i find it doesnt completely pick against the string but merely rub against it. Picking parallel will give you a clearer note even when picking like a mad man.

If you want a better sound, mould your alternate picking so that your pick is parallel, it'll take a while but you'll grasp it.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Mar 24, 2009,
I found that i used this technique quite a bit when i first started playing. It seemed as tho i could play faster, but as im sure you've heard before: speed isn't everything. Try to get the pick parallel to the string it will provide you with a cleaner sound and eventually will lead to more precision. Try exercises where there are string changes.
Keep the pick angled. I play rock and metal and it really makes your playing flow better to do so. Because of the angle, the pick is cutting through the string, rather than slapping it. It just gives you more control over what you're playing.
It's not a bad thing. Just a preference of sound. I angle my pick a bit too.
Quote by mick13
is it good for the genres i mentioned?

Hardcore and metal? Sure on palm mutes and heavy stuff it sounds good. Might not want to angle it so much on a solo or something clean where you need the notes to come through.
Paul Gilbert angles his pick and I love his alternate picking tone. Go with what is comfortable and has good tone. Don't over analyze things. Over-analyzation = wasted time.
Well, I think it's the easiest.
I do so with tremolo picking, at least.
However, I noticed it all sounds kinda weird when you change from flat downpicking to angled alternate picking.
I tried practicing alternate while holding it flat as well, but I suck, apparently.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Quote by DPfb2460
Keep the pick angled. I play rock and metal and it really makes your playing flow better to do so. Because of the angle, the pick is cutting through the string, rather than slapping it. It just gives you more control over what you're playing.

+1
The only time that you may not want to angle it is if you are doing a ridiculous uber fast tremelo, and even then, I would still angle, but thats just me. When playing chords and rhythms and a lot of solos it gives much more control and makes it easier to play.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
I used a slight angle for maybe 12 years, changed to flat for a year, then went back to angling when I started using sharp picks. I prefer angling myself, especially with a sharp pick, but it's really up to the individual.
the angle of picking for me depends on what speed or sound i want. the faster i play the more i angle the pick. i'll also angle it for accents. if i want a clean tone and speed isn't an issue, i'll keep it flat.

i also have changed my technique of angeling over the past year. i used keep my strap real high to make it easier for my left hand. since my right elbow was bent, it was easier to angle my pick upward. i soon saw how nerdy i looked on stage, and realized i had to lower my strap, even if it meant altering my technique. with the guitar lower and my elbow straight, i could no longer comfortably ange the pick up, so i had to switch to angeling it down. now i ALWAYS practice standing up with my strap low, and it has finally become natural.
Last edited by 0v3rdr1v3N at Mar 25, 2009,
It's good to angle your pick very slightly, it'll make your alternate picking sound smoother, but don't angle it too much, or it will make a disgusting grating sound.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"