I basically suck at songwriting but I'm the only person that is even making an effort to write things. everyone else just wants to play covers. so a couple of questions:

1. how the hell do i make catchy riffs and not use the same powerchords over and over?

2. my lyrics are all the same. how do i branch out?

danke.
learn more techniques for the riffs part, theory also helps

for writing you should read more it helps
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
well usually i just play what iim feelin and a cool riff comes out at some point....you can either think of a cool one then figure it out....or let you hands make it for you.....also listening to a lot of music will help get your hands workin on some stuff you didnt really think about before....when you do it youll know what i mean
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
I finally have som luck, making riffs that itsn't just powerchords - and i found out how by playing covers, it gave me insperation, and ideas

Favorite solos:

Comfortably Numb
Since I've Been Loving you
Wicked World
Mr. Crowley
Welcome To BucketheadLand
Perfect Crime
Lazy
Nightrain
The Lemon Song
Make up a drum beat or take a drum beat and randomly sing notes instead of beats. Sometimes this works for me if your just tapping a beat with your hands
Quote by linus.d
for riffs; don't write. Play

Just noodle around untill you find something that sounds good, thats what i do and alot of the time it turns out real good.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Go learn to play every riff you hear that you like or atleast try to workout why it is works. Then just use what you have learnt. Don't worry if at first all your riffs sound like your favouite riffs the more you do it the better you will get and you will find your own style. This is basically how I learnt to write music.

Frankie
Not writing and just playing is a very good way. But make sure you're not going too crazy, cos you could play something that sounds awesome, and then forget what you played. Keep it simple, and then build upon that.

Alternatively, get some chord progressions going and just improvise over them until you get something that fits nice together.

And learning some theory never hurt.