For $279.99, you get a Jaguar without all of the confusing controls and all that ****.

I played one today and it seemed to be a damn sturdy guitar. Duncan-designed humbuckers, low action, same trem as Fender Strats. Also has a nice raw tone for playing all types of rock, especially old punk and all that kind of stuff.

So, is it worth it? Or should I just hump it out for a Fender Jaguar HH? Are there any problems to be expected with it since it is a Squier?
I'd hump it for a Fender, just cause of the quality and its likely to have better pups
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I like the complicated controls....
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The Fender HH has Enforcer pickups, same as the ones in John 5's signatures, and the Special HH (black'n'chrome) has Dragster Humbuckers, just like the Special Baritone HH.
yeah, but when I'm trying to work ym guitar in a live setting, i'd prefer to not have a bunch of knobs with no idea of what they do
You don't want the controlability of a Jag? What's wrong with you? More switches/knobs/etc. means more tonal possibilities. Don't be intimidated . But yes I definitely say go for the HH Jag. Or if you're really concerned about wanting only two knobs they make an 800 dollar Jazzmaster I believe.

Edit: You learn what they do. It's got only two knobs, volume for each pup. It's got two rollers for tone control on each hb. It's got a coil tap, which is also just the pup selector. Then it's got a killswitch right by the tone rollers. Not hard.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Mar 24, 2009,
jazzmasters have single coils. single coils + heavily distorted punk music = bad

i have a diagram for the old jaguars and jazzmasters, and I've tried to reference it, but I still get confused.

To me, when I see a price difference like this with a similar feel, I just see appreciation (resale value) and actual durability/quality.
So it's up to you. Do you want this to last you forever?
And plus, I've played cheap guitars that felt better than high-end ones, so compare them. Because quality, resale or not, the only thing that really matters...is how you feel. Now, but seriously, if the Squire feels better, buy it.
next time I head up there, I'm going to do a side-by-side with the Squier and the Fender to determine which feels better.
And did you make a choice?

I played both (Jagmaster & HH). Both very cool. Both very different. I love the versatility of the HH, but liked the mod possibilities of the Jagmaster.

I walked out with the Squier, thinking it would be the perfect candidate for p-rails. Haven't done that yet (on order), but am still....debating...taking it back and getting the Fender HH. I have to tell you that I'm really impressed with the Jagmaster--tone and versatility, great action, plus a unique look, and a price that screams "mod the p*ss outa me".

But the Fender is also three times the price...and with new pups and some tricks...I might have just found a guitar I'll actually be happy with for a long, long time (besides the G400).

The Jaguar HH just sounds and feels soooo good...right outa the box...Play them side by side and you'll be sorely disappointed--in both--because you won't know which to buy, and you'll be wondering if you've gone crazy deciding between a Squier and a Fender. Whod'a thunk it, right? Careful, you might wind up with both...
The Squier is pretty solid feeling, with a very comfortable neck. The Jagmaster has a more Strat feeling neck then the Jaguar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Ziggle
And did you make a choice?

The Jaguar HH just sounds and feels soooo good...right outa the box...Play them side by side and you'll be sorely disappointed--in both--because you won't know which to buy, and you'll be wondering if you've gone crazy deciding between a Squier and a Fender. Whod'a thunk it, right? Careful, you might wind up with both.

Which is what happened to me.

These are two very different guitars, and I love them both for what they are. The JMaster, though, just begs for mods...
Quote by Ziggle
Which is what happened to me.

These are two very different guitars, and I love them both for what they are. The JMaster, though, just begs for mods...

Dude, I figured this would've been closed by now

Wow. Yeah, thanks for the help, but I've decided on an Ibby Prestige
Heh heh...I'm a lurker extraordinaire! I'm only a month or so behind, but I actually got the Jag the day after I last posted. Absolutely love it.

Good call on the Ibby, though.
Quote by Ziggle
Heh heh...I'm a lurker extraordinaire! I'm only a month or so behind, but I actually got the Jag the day after I last posted. Absolutely love it.

Good call on the Ibby, though.

if you'd like, try the MIM Jaguars. they came out less than a year ago, though i feel that humbuckers on a jaguar is ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. though i agree that the shape of the jaguar is the main attraction.

single coil ftw

by the way, jazzmasters do not have humbuckers. neither are they p90s. they are single coil pickups actually.

edit:
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']jazzmasters have single coils. single coils + heavily distorted punk music = bad

NO.

with the proper equipment, single coil equipped guitar can sound really really good for distorted music. they cut through the mix so easily, with so much clarity. very very good for leads especially. they work very well for rhythm as well. some people just do not know how to (or do not have enough time to) match their guitars with the right equipment and/or EQ their rigs properly to realise that, and jump to conclusions.

no offense to you (or any other persons). i just want to clear a misconception. look at my sig, you can see that i use single coil equipped guitars. coupled with the right amp (and pedals), your bounds are widened.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Jun 2, 2009,
Quote by lithium26
if you'd like, try the MIM Jaguars. they came out less than a year ago, though i feel that humbuckers on a jaguar is ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS. though i agree that the shape of the jaguar is the main attraction.

single coil ftw

by the way, jazzmasters do not have humbuckers. neither are they p90s. they are single coil pickups actually.

This thread is resolved
Well, the point of the Jaguar is to have all the tonal options. But if you just want something in the shape of a Jaguar, a Jagmaster is actually a really good guitar. The Japanese ones are better than the Chinese ones, but the Chiense will do fine. The sound may be a bit muddy; a good solution is to dish a little extra cash for some Duncan Phat Cats some point down the line.
If you don't need a whammy bar and want something a little higher-end, the Jaguar HH is a great buy.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
wait without all the "confusing" controls. that's what makes it so awesome! I love buttons!

i'm sure you love pushing them too, right?
Quote by lithium26

they cut through the mix so easily, with so much clarity. very very good for leads especially. they work very well for rhythm as well. some people just do not know how to (or do not have enough time to) match their guitars with the right equipment and/or EQ their rigs properly to realise that, and jump to conclusions.

I love single coils for leads and rock rhythms, but they could never nail the heavy rhythm tone that's in my head. This dilemma just led me to buy tons of guitars to make up for stupid differences between each!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
You don't want the controlability of a Jag? What's wrong with you? More switches/knobs/etc. means more tonal possibilities. Don't be intimidated . But yes I definitely say go for the HH Jag. Or if you're really concerned about wanting only two knobs they make an 800 dollar Jazzmaster I believe.

Edit: You learn what they do. It's got only two knobs, volume for each pup. It's got two rollers for tone control on each hb. It's got a coil tap, which is also just the pup selector. Then it's got a killswitch right by the tone rollers. Not hard.

never heard of a 800 dollars jazzmaster but i'd take one

and as for what the controls do, you're sadly a bit wrong.. i have an HH jag and the controls don't really do that... first, there's no coil tap. in fact, the guitar kind of has 2 channels. on the top panel, you have 2 rollers and a channel selector. in the up selection, you're in rythm channel and the two rollers are a master tone and a master volume. the rythm is the neck pickup, with a bass boost and slightly scooped trebles.
the second channel, lead, has two knobs, one volume, one tone. it also lets you use the 3 buttons : on/off for the neck pickup, on/off for the bridge pickup, treble boost.

i'd say that going for the jaguar HH is definitely worth it, i own a jaguar HH special and love it, the neck is very comfortable, the bridge is great and the lack of tremolo makes it stay better in tune, the stock pickups don't sound too bad (although i swapped both of them). the only thing i didn't like about that guitar was how hard it was to change the pickups, there are wires everywhere on the inside of it.
Quote by Darkflame

and as for what the controls do, you're sadly a bit wrong.. i have an HH jag and the controls don't really do that... first, there's no coil tap. in fact, the guitar kind of has 2 channels. on the top panel, you have 2 rollers and a channel selector. in the up selection, you're in rythm channel and the two rollers are a master tone and a master volume. the rythm is the neck pickup, with a bass boost and slightly scooped trebles.
the second channel, lead, has two knobs, one volume, one tone. it also lets you use the 3 buttons : on/off for the neck pickup, on/off for the bridge pickup, treble boost.

Really? What model HH is that? because i have an HH Jaguar, and my controls are not like that...
Quote by Darkflame
never heard of a 800 dollars jazzmaster but i'd take one

i'd say that going for the jaguar HH is definitely worth it, i own a jaguar HH special and love it, the neck is very comfortable, the bridge is great and the lack of tremolo makes it stay better in tune, the stock pickups don't sound too bad (although i swapped both of them). the only thing i didn't like about that guitar was how hard it was to change the pickups, there are wires everywhere on the inside of it.

actually i think it's a bass cut and not a treble boost. at least to me it sounds more like a bass cut.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by lithium26
actually i think it's a bass cut and not a treble boost. at least to me it sounds more like a bass cut.

You're right.

Anyway learning what the controls do on a Jaguar takes 5 minutes. I don't see how they are confusing. :/
Quote by Icehawk217
Really? What model HH is that? because i have an HH Jaguar, and my controls are not like that...

Really? Weird. What are yours like? I don't think there'a any difference between the HH controls and the CP HH controls...Or am I wrong?