Hi, im a guitarist and im going to be buying a bass for my brithday... I'm not sure what to look for in a bass or what to buy. my price range will be pretty cheap although im not sure whether it will be around 700 or like 300.. just depends on how much i make over the summer... so any ideas?
get an esp bass. i hear those are good. i have the goth epiphone bass but i just don't like how you cant reach higher frets.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
ESP bass are great basses to start off with, im actually getting a new esp soon or you could go to your local guitar shop and try out a bunch
Destroy. Erase. Improve.

I am.
Squire VM>ESP.

ESP is mainly limited to metal. the VM series will sound way better anyways, I've heard ones that get better highs than a USA Fender, though the Fender still wins unshakingly at the lows.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I agree with the Humanity, get yourself a squire VM or perhaps an Ibanez/schecter if you like that kind of thing. Anything else in that price range is pretty mediocre by comparison.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I have an Ibanez and its great so i recommend them but anything in that price range will be pretty good. Go to the shop, try a load out and see which you like best is my advice.
oh yeah i guess should have said what kind of music i play... i play mostly classic rock and blues stuff. my favorite band is led zeppelin. Im going to be going to my local shop within the next few weeks. The Vm series from squire looks good for a $300 bass and then maybe ill get a cheap amp too
Look in here before asking questions, it says so in the rules:Click here before continuing

I would say schecter, but that leaves very little for an amp, so look at these.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Well, John Paul Jones played a J-Bass for most of his career and since custom Manson and Alembic basses are kinda out of your price range, if you're looking for his kind of tone, I would check out the Fender MIM J-Bass, the Fender Replica '60s J (MIJ I think) ,the Squier Vintage Modified '70s J-Bass, or the Squier Classic Vibe '60s J. Those are in the ~$300 to ~$500 range, leaving money for an amp or upgrades.

Those are all Jazz basses however, and the Jazz/Precision divide is pretty subjective, so do check out the P equivalents available, but for the music you described, you can't go wrong with either.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"