I am looking to buy a metal guitar I am into pantera, metallica, as I lay dying etc. Looking for something with that nice metal sound. I have around $900 to spend cannot go any higher (started at $600 lol). Currently using a marshall vs65r getting new amp later. This is what I am looking at

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Hellraiser-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-518471-i1385937.gc

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Guitarwolf81 at Mar 26, 2009,
Edge III is junk. Avoid. Try an S320 or S470.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
that RG can be nice, just don't use the tremolo really, and swap it out for another one (which can fit in the same space) and you're all set.

or just buy an Jackson / ibanez S series
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
whoa quick replies lol. I will look around for an s series and ya the tremolo is a must for me. I was considering the dean ML earlier but I just hate the flying v style
^Yes

^(person two above me) Also I agree

One thing that ticks me off:
There's no such thing as a metal guitar.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
yeah id go with the S520 tbh
if you want ibanez

or try ESP maybe?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by JELIFISH19
If you increase your budget by $100, you can have an Ibanez Prestige RG with an Edge Zero. This is one of the best deals you'll find. It's originally $1000. It's the top of the line Basswood RG of 2008.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar---2008-Model-518082-i1389802.gc

Going up $100 may be possible but I couldnt live with that color too bad no black
Do you prefer active or high-output passive?
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
add 100 dollars to your budget and get an ESP MH400. I owns any ibanez model/Jackson model for the price.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
Jackson RR3.

Or a Dinky of some sort.
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

as a former owner I say go with the S520, its a lot better than anything mentioned here (not a big fan of jacksons) The only reason it sucked is because I don't like the Wizard II neck, but apparently you do so go for it.
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by oneblackened
Edge III is junk. Avoid. Try an S320 or S470.

We have a winner. Go used if you want to put nice pickups in it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Get the Gus G LTD Star guitar with original floyd rose for 599 at musician friend!!
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
ok guys some good news budget has been bumped up to $800 and shopping around still so just fyi lookin for a guitar with whammy and black is fine just no golds or yellows silver etc. Was gonna go for the ibanez s520 or jackson dk2 but now its time to look some more.. Any help is appreciated guys. Been looking at esp, schecter and deans too.
Quote by Junnage

One thing that ticks me off:
There's no such thing as a metal guitar.

ha, what now smartass. Im sure you saw this coming

seriously tho TS, check out some shecters too
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
jackson. The Dk's are awesome, or maybe even an rx10d?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by lunaticfringe93
as a former owner I say go with the S520, its a lot better than anything mentioned here (not a big fan of jacksons) The only reason it sucked is because I don't like the Wizard II neck, but apparently you do so go for it.

+1
This will make your day.

Seriously, that's a pretty nice guitar, I swear.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
I own an Ibanez 540S (they are the older S series, see my profile for pics). It does anything actually, really all genres. I play mostly stuff like Metallica, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, then Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin and it does it all. One thing to note is that the standard pickups can do with replacing. I'm going to fit in DiMarzio ToneZone in the bridge soon, going to make that guitar a tone monster.
Ok, just purely out of interest; what amp do you currently own?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
if you like metallica , then pay lil more and buy esp ltd ec 1000 its an awesome guitar, i got one , or if u looking for other type of guitars look for a gibson les paul as james hetfield used it u may find a secound hand one as they are expensive
As for the amp I am using a Marshal vs65r. Its an older amp but replacing the guitar first amp later. I am getting bad but tops I can afford is $900! I have my eye on the hellraiser. Question whats the difference between these two?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Hellraiser-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-518471-i1385937.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-Hellraiser-FR-Electric-Guitar-513134-i1176872.gc
it looks like the colour is the only difference to me i read them both and they were identicle
i think ><
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W
Behringer Super Metal Pedal

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
Man i would go with a ltd explorer or truckster if found a good deal. Thats if youre favorite is metallica and dont get a razorback. They are overpriced and dont have good stock pickups. I mainly stick with esp cause they make awesome all around guitars for metal
ibanez prestige is a good guitar, but i dont know if itd get the metallica sound you want.

get something with ACTIVE pups.

schecter hellraisers are good guitars for what youre going for, as well as ESPs/LTDs. id say jackson, but theyre kindve on the expensive side.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Well I saw metallica 2 days ago and basically used ESP ltd guitars and a Gibson every now and again.

Go for something like a Esp ltd M400 or the M1000 or even a kirk siggy?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals