Hi Everyone!
Please help me find the ultimate Distortion pedal for my gear:
Guitars: Ibanez RG370DX, Gibson LP standard.
Effects: Boss ME-X, CE-5, DD-3, NS-2, SD-1 ( I use the chorus, Delay, Noise Suppressor and Reverb of the ME-X).
I do have the MD-2 and a Pro-Co Rat but it sounds TERRIBLE!!!
Amp: Fender Frontman 25R.

I play a lot of Dream Theater, Liquid Tension and This kind Style and Petrucci's sound is the sound I'm looking for...
What do you think??
Thanks!
While I suggest starting with saving for a new amp (and selling the other two if you don't like them) you know what you're looking for...maybe a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i like my Fender 25. its half decent and plenty afordable for what i play... but the heaviest i might play is nirvana... (so the ****ty distort works out fine lol) so i would start out by getting a whole new amp
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
You have a Gibson and you're still playing through a Frontman 25? That thing must cry itself to sleep every night.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by TheBoosterGuy
Hi Everyone!
Please help me find the ultimate Distortion pedal for my gear:
Guitars: Ibanez RG370DX, Gibson LP standard.
Effects: Boss ME-X, CE-5, DD-3, NS-2, SD-1 ( I use the chorus, Delay, Noise Suppressor and Reverb of the ME-X).
I do have the MD-2 and a Pro-Co Rat but it sounds TERRIBLE!!!
Amp: Fender Frontman 25R.

I play a lot of Dream Theater, Liquid Tension and This kind Style and Petrucci's sound is the sound I'm looking for...
What do you think??
Thanks!

Do you have the ME-whatever AND the other four? Or are you considering the other four "pedals" because the ME is doing what the BOSS pedal with that name does...?

Are you gigging? You may want to look into a modeling amp, as opposed to straight up SS or tube, if you're not gigging.

Also, budget?
mess around with your rat, i really do like that pedal.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
First of all- Thanks everyone!
second- the Fender is actually not that bad in my opinion...
the Boss ME-X does have Digital Delay, Chorus, Phaser, pitch shifter, short delay, Noise suppressor and an EQ but I've only got not long ago do i do have those other single Boss pedals...
I will Check the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde.
Any way.. I don't think my amp is the problem... it sounded terrible on some 65 fender and a real big Roland chorus (or something like it...).
What amps should i look up? is i find a good amp with a good Dist. how do i use the ME-X and the other FX with it? (do forgive my lack of knowledge ....)
if you do find a good amp with good distortion i would only use the ME for effects.

whats your budget?
Quote by THEKID546
if you do find a good amp with good distortion i would only use the ME for effects.

whats your budget?

But how do I use the ME-X as if the amp is the first in the FX loop?
Quote by TheBoosterGuy
First of all- Thanks everyone!
second- the Fender is actually not that bad in my opinion...
the Boss ME-X does have Digital Delay, Chorus, Phaser, pitch shifter, short delay, Noise suppressor and an EQ but I've only got not long ago do i do have those other single Boss pedals...
I will Check the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde.
Any way.. I don't think my amp is the problem... it sounded terrible on some 65 fender and a real big Roland chorus (or something like it...).
What amps should i look up? is i find a good amp with a good Dist. how do i use the ME-X and the other FX with it? (do forgive my lack of knowledge ....)

Seriously, the amp IS the problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you need a new amp
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Well, to start off a Fender Frontman wasn't meant for distortion, or maybe just not "good distortion." These amps are practice amps and I would think that Fender specializes in the bluesy, clean tones, not distortion. I have a Fender Frontman 212R. It can only get you by for so long....It IS your amp.

How would the amp affect your distortion? If you are in a location where there are a good amount of guitar shops, bring your guitar in and try some amps, most notably the ones that have high gain and good distortion. Your question will be answered.

If you don't live in an area where music stores are easily accessible .. than take the opinions of the other UG members that have replied to this thread. If you haven't noticed, there is a trend forming stating that your amp is the culprit of the crap sound you are hearing. These guys/gals have a great wealth of experience that you can use as an advantage for figuring out what the next step is to find the tone you are looking for.

Or you can take the advice from somebody who owns a 100 watt version of this amp. They suck and aren't meant for distortion. Cleans sound great as they should. You can put a bunch of pedals on it, but you still won't find good distortion imo.

It's up to you .. but I agree .. change the amp .. it made a huge difference for me.
there are some ppl on here with experience and knowledge. i only talk about what i know, and i will say if i have no experiences with the amp.
the fender frontman, imo, has good cleans. its pedal taking ability is not brilliant, but if you dont want to spend too much money right now, a pedal can be ok.
that being said, you should start saving money for an amp.
and ditch the multi processor, imo
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Thanks for the replies!
I will check some Amps.
I don't think I should sell the Boss ME-X, it is a good pedal with a high quality unlike a lot of new ones.
What kind of Amps should I look up? Which ones has a good and high quality distortion that could sound warm yet high gained for heavy riffs and will give me lots of variety of sounds? (So I could be satisfied if I want a Vai sound/ Petrucci sound/ Stern and etc.)
I want to enjoy playing and not bother all the time about the sound and how to make it tolerable!!
How much are you willing to spend is the biggest question. Where you live (closest major city) and whether you'd be keen to go used is also a biggie.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm still not sure about the budget... Is there any difference if it's new of used??
Any way which should I look up?
Quote by TheBoosterGuy
Thanks for the replies!

I want to enjoy playing and not bother all the time about the sound and how to make it tolerable!!

then just stop worrying about it and play...

real advice though: Yeah i agrre qith the amp advice. Keep in mind its not that you have a bad amp, its just that a frontman for petrucci-style gain is just insane, if not downright dangerous ( ). Still, amps are expensive, so I say listen to what I wrote above for now and just save up for an amp. It'll take time, but I dont think any amount of pedals going into the fender will help and youll just be spending more money that could be going towards the amp.

That said, the pedals you have are not meant to get that tone. I generally hate multi-effects pedals, but if you dont want to save up for an amp, I say some of the decent ones offer enough tone tweaking to get you by.
Quote by TheBoosterGuy
I'm still not sure about the budget... Is there any difference if it's new of used??
Any way which should I look up?

depends on the condition, some used amps look like crap and some look like new. Usually an amps condition roughly determined their price as oppossed to anew one of the same model. It's up to you to decide what you want.

also: ebay?
Well I live in Israel so.... shipping an Amp here is going to be REALLY expensive..
Any way which brand should I look up??
Is a "Fender MH" worth the expectation?