ive playing for 3 years and have just started seriously writing my own music. i like a variety of guitar based music: Pop-rock (Green Day, Fall out Boy) "Alternative" (The Killers, Kings of Leon, The Raconteurs, White Stripes) British Alternative (The View, Paolo Nutini , among others). Im a decent singer and Im probably going to be singer in the band me and my friend are formulating. But im stuck as to which of these directions to pursue. You'll probably say, go with what feels best or something, but im actually quite stuck as to which direction to go. I have so far written songs with guitar, but also 2 songs with piano in. As much as i like pop-rock, im cautious in exploring it, as i dont want to be a Youmeatsix or Hey Monday, so the other two are seeming more appealing. What do you think? Also i cant find another guitarist at the moment, not a good one anyway, shall i wait for a good guitarist or get a crap one now?
Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton
Peavey something or other
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2
Discuss it with the other guy

And im telling you, if you're a bit decent, and you get a newbie on your band... Ain't no fun.
k, im completely intolerant of people worse than me, so id probably end up just shooting them anyhoo, im thinking going with a chilled out kind of indie, acoustic incorporated
Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton
Peavey something or other
Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2
i would definently find somone as good or better than you, much more rewarding
Just play what you write. I'm worse off than you. I listen to hard/classic/blues rock, and write indie/pop stuff, but not indie/pop that sounds good alone. I'm essentially useless until I find a band :P
oh, and i wouldnt try to build your band around a classification, just make music and let other people label it as they like, even if every song sounds completely different
Quote by trouty711
oh, and i wouldnt try to build your band around a classification, just make music and let other people label it as they like, even if every song sounds completely different

Yes leave the labeling to the listeners. Make music that you enjoy, you shouldn't limit yourself to one genre.
totally agree with that ^

but... take influences from both seems the most logical thing to do
mixing british alt/indie with pop punk will create teh catchiest genre known to man

i get worried by the amount of people who never think to compromise on UG