So, I'm looking at the Epiphone Les Paul's and basically, what's the difference between these two?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=518351

Other than finish, inlays? Reason I'm asking is because the price of the Studio looks way more attractive... hehe.

Thanks
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
Well it's carved top vs flat top. And also the basic finish...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

A studio is just one that's better for using in a studio. Apart from that, I couldn't tell you the difference, I'm a bass guy and a Fender guy at that.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by hminh87
Well it's carved top vs flat top. And also the basic finish...

Actually, both have a carved top. "Plain" in this case just means that the top is not figuered.

Quote by druggietoad2k5
A studio is just one that's better for using in a studio. Apart from that, I couldn't tell you the difference, I'm a bass guy and a Fender guy at that.

No, that is not correct. Both guitars have similar specs except for the looks and the top. They sound largely the same (or are supposed to, at least). The Studio is just a cheaper version of the Standard.

Both will sound pretty much the same. The woods used are the same (except for that maple veneer, which has close to no effect on the tone). I am not entirely sure whether the Standard has an alder cap under the veneer, some of them have, or at least used to in past years. However, it's not mentioned in the specs of the one you linked to, so I guess it'll be all-mahogany. The Studio looks like an all-mahogany guitar. The Studios and Standards I played so far had the same hardware and pickups, and quality control was equally iffy (speaking of the chinese models, that is).
Quote by TheQuailman
I am not entirely sure whether the Standard has an alder cap under the veneer, some of them have, or at least used to in past years. However, it's not mentioned in the specs of the one you linked to, so I guess it'll be all-mahogany. The Studio looks like an all-mahogany guitar. The Studios and Standards I played so far had the same hardware and pickups, and quality control was equally iffy (speaking of the chinese models, that is).
The Standard has a solid maple carved top. Yes, really. They've been doing it since just before they moved from Korea to China.
Though they do use pretty cheap maple that is, and then they use a veneer of prettier maple (or flame maple) for the very top if the guitar is getting a transparent finish.

The Studio as far as I'm aware is basically the same deal except they always skimp on the prettier veneer. Should still have a solid maple top though.

Hardware isn't quite the same, at least the last time I checked them out myself the Studio had uncovered pickups that sounded a little hotter in the bridge than the Standard stock pickups (I think they use a Classic in both the neck and bridge on the Standard but a Classic Plus in the bridge of the Studio, at least that's what it sounds like to me). The controls in the Standard have always seemed smoother too. Last time I tried a Studio they also didn't have the locking stopbar that Standards have, but it has been a while since I last tried a Studio.

Oh yeah, and fugly dot inlays.

Either can be about equal. Just make sure you try some out in a store first and buy whichever one seems best to you right there. You might come across a Studio better than most Standards, so don't worry really about what the specs are of either. Just don't go blindly ordering one online, make sure you try the guitar first and if you do find a good one, buy that exact one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
None of the studios in the link he provided has a carved top...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

AFAIK, Studio models have less visual embellishments as to offer a similar sounding instrument at a lower price. For recording studios and the like.
if it was me < i would save up and buy a gibson, but that is just what i would do, i am not a fan fo epiphone les pauls at all
Quote by ibanezist
if it was me < i would save up and buy a gibson, but that is just what i would do, i am not a fan fo epiphone les pauls at all

The reason TS made this thread, because of the price difference between a Studio and a standard.

Obviously if he could choose without thinking of money he'd go with the standard (or a gibson).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Personally I think the studio looks alot nicer than most standards. But because of quality control, I wouldn't say either would be a definitely "one is better than the other", so my advice is to:

a) Try them both in a store.
b) Don't order an Epiphone from the internet. Go used.
Quote by ibanezist

We're talking about 300-500 guitars versus 15000-2200 guitars. If it were me I would have gotten an American Deluxe strat instead of my Squier.

Check out Agile at Rondomusic as well. They make nice LPs
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
the Binding , is the only real difference for the most part and a bit of other cosmetics , but basiclly they are the same.