Are Behringer bass amps good? I recently joined a metal band and need a good metal bass for under $400 with over 100 watts. If it is not a good amp, could I get a bass multi effects pedal like a Boss or Digitech to make up the sound?
Asking this question starts a flood of "NO!!"'s in this forum. They are generally considered poor quality, in addition to giving you less usable wattage than advertised. Most amps have wattage listed in sustainable watts, while behringer lists the peak wattage, meaning if you run it at that wattage for more than a few seconds, you'll damage the speakers.

A quick search of this forum could have saved you and me from this and many similar posts.

Secondpartofquestionedit: A pedal will not take the place of an amp, but you could get a DI box and play through the PA system.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Mar 24, 2009,
Im playing through one this very seecond and am not enjoying it
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by samskii
Asking this question starts a flood of "NO!!"'s in this forum. They are generally considered poor quality, in addition to giving you less usable wattage than advertised. Most amps have wattage listed in sustainable watts, while behringer lists the peak wattage, meaning if you run it at that wattage for more than a few seconds, you'll damage the speakers.

A quick search of this forum could have saved you and me from this and many similar posts.

Secondpartofquestionedit: A pedal will not take the place of an amp, but you could get a DI box and play through the PA system.

In case my first post was a little too blunt, this is an excellent explanation of why NOT to get a Behringer. They are quite unreliable and due to the company overrating the wattages of their amps makes me think they are in general a dishonest company.

If you want an excellent amp for less than 400USD, look into the Acoustic B200. 200 watts is easily enough to play with a band(I do it) and it has a 15" speaker which lets the lows really come through in your sound. The 6 band EQ is very helpful, it allows you to get almost any tone you want out of your amp. There is a Direct Output so you can run through the EQ section of the amp into a DI box and play through the venues PA.
Behringer has been known to make decent amps, but not reliably. There are a few guys/gals on here with Behringers that love them, but that just proves that anybody can accidentally make something right.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
they are truly awful. and no, not a single pedal will make up for a bad amp.

the B200 mentioned before is pretty good, look into that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Tiki Rock
1) Are Behringer bass amps good? I recently joined a metal band and need a good metal bass amp for under $400 with over 100 watts. 2) If it is not a good amp, could I get a bass multi effects pedal like a Boss or Digitech to make up the sound?

1) No. They are horrible. Please do not buy one.
2) No. I am not yet aware of a device capable of overcoming the ****ty tone of a Behringer.

Get an Acoustic B200.

BeastEdit: Do you have to get a bass as well? If so, please avoid such stereotypical "metal basses" as the Epiphone Thunderbird, the B.C. Rich Warlock, and almost any of the unnecessarily pointy basses produced by Dean. Instead, look into the Squier VM and CV series basses, Rockbass by Warwick, Ibanez, Schecter, Yamaha, Traben, and Peavey. If you are willing to buy used (Craigslist, ebay, etc) you should be able to find a pretty nice bass for under $500.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by budget bassist
Do not even touch behringer amps. Ever.

what if you want something to smash on stage? I mean, they still look like normal amps.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Even if you were going to smash it I wouldn't run my bass through it. I'd be afraid that the suck was contagious and my bass might break. Behringer bad! I also vote toward the acoustic amp in this price range.

Since it's related just look at my signature. That'll give a good idea of what we think of behringer amps.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by InvaderTSN
Or you could use them as dummy amps. At least until one of them spontaneously combusts, of course, as they tend to do.

I'd like to fill 4 small Behringer combos with cement and use them for bedposts. cheaper.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Never played the lower end Behringer's, but I've played through a friend's 8x10 and 450 watt behringer stack. Much, much muuuch better than my Fender Rumble 210. The Rumble was 3 hundred-something, the behringer stack together was less than 500.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by InvaderTSN
You should get fire insurance, though.

my house is too cold anyway, somebody keeps putting the thermostat at 65.

what is that?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

lol 65. If I have a bottle of water in my room when i go to bed it's slushy if not solid ice when i wake up. that's cold! Well that's how it is in the winter anyway. In the summer it gets up to 120 up here. welcome to my world.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
lol 65. If I have a bottle of water in my room when i go to bed it's slushy if not solid ice when i wake up. that's cold! Well that's how it is in the winter anyway. In the summer it gets up to 120 up here. welcome to my world.

you're in Ohio.

here, that's with the air conditioner running sometimes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ah. didn't notice that you live in CA. gotcha. was looking at the temperature the wrong way. still. I wish my house was 65 in the summer. Our downstairs is about whatever temperature it is outside and the upstairs is absolutely ridiculous. We haven't had air conditioning since i was proabably 5-6. All I know is i kind of remember a AC unit in the living room window at some point.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
ah. didn't notice that you live in CA. gotcha. was looking at the temperature the wrong way. still. I wish my house was 65 in the summer. Our downstairs is about whatever temperature it is outside and the upstairs is absolutely ridiculous. We haven't had air conditioning since i was proabably 5-6. All I know is i kind of remember a AC unit in the living room window at some point.

ouch.

well, I told Tam I would refrain from spam.

therefore, for a cheap temporary heating unit, Behringer amps are very useful.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I don't know if I should call myself lucky or not....temperatures here don't usually go lower than 15F in the winter, or over 95 in the summer, but it's fairly common to have a couple of shorts n' t-shirt days, followed immediately by a few days of 20 degree weather, followed by 70-80 degree weather, and then some more winter weather.

TS, don't get a Behringer...end of. No Bugera either, it's the same company. I give my +1 to the Acoustic B200.

And for the love of all that is funky, do not try and get a cheap MFX pedal to make your amp sound better...digital pedals, for the most part, only end up making things sound worse. The only one I've used recently that actually sounded decent has been the Digitech GNX3000, but it's very expensive.
Nope, no sig here.
I have a Behringer amp, its ok. I dont unserstand why a lot of peple slag them of on these forums. Its seems to be the trend to talk crap about thunderbirds and behringers, sometimes I wonder how many people have tryed them out and how many people are just going along with the trend.

I brought my behringer because it was cheap and I needed something to be heard at smallish gigs, it did that. But you can probably get something better for your money. Try out a bunch of amps in your price range.
I love how the thread derailed into a discussion of temperature.

Also, Behringers are great if you want to blow fuses, and not have a home anymore.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
SoCal boys should not complaint about temperatures. Try spending a summer day in SF and then we'll talk. Actually I should just have Bales (JazzRockFeel) talk to you--he lives in Siberia aka Winnipeg.

On Behringers--the other thing is that once the amp breaks you will have a lovely time getting it RMA-ed or fixed. Woe to the bas player who has to deal with Behringers warranty / repair department.
Quote by anarkee
SoCal boys should not complaint about temperatures. Try spending a summer day in SF and then we'll talk. Actually I should just have Bales (JazzRockFeel) talk to you--he lives in Siberia aka Winnipeg.

On Behringers--the other thing is that once the amp breaks you will have a lovely time getting it RMA-ed or fixed. Woe to the bas player who has to deal with Behringers warranty / repair department.

this just proves further- I hate any coldness.

if I lived near Bales I no doubt would have gone completely mental by now.

why do I have a lurking suspicion if there is ever a bass forum get-together I'm gonna get chased around by Del with a rubber mallet and Tam with a box of snowballs?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by 7stringuzr
EVERYTHING behringer sucks. get an ampeg

I wouldnt agree with that, alot of their equipment (other than amps/effects pedals), are really good quality for the price.
^ Their studio stuff, while obviously not the best, is decent. It gets the job done if you're broke.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Ihear bugerathough is reallysolidforthemoney.Andtheir rack gear, and studio stuff is acceptibale to get you buy.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I remember reading a review on Musician's Friend for a Behringer bass combo in which a guy recounted how it burned down his house and ruined his life.

Just a little cautionary tale for us all.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Haha wow! I feel like I can really contribute to this thread!

I've had my Behringer BX3000T Head for probably 5 years now... Never had a problem with it. Mind you the sound out of it isn't AMAZING, but I've never had an issue with it at a show or a practice.

On the whole "weather" thing - We used to practice in my garage where it would get like -35 degrees Celcius (for the American: that's too cold to snow) and I would just leave it out there through winter and it always worked and continues to work just fine to this day.
^ How did you practice in that? I thought it was tough practicing in near-freezing weather...
Nope, no sig here.
I'm still surprised at how people don't read the FAQs.

One of the very few guitar dealerships in my area is a Behringer dealer, the guy that usually is working there is in his early 40's and doesn't know much about this products he's selling, he tries to be helpful, but I feel bad for the guy.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is absolutely reason to get ANY Behringer amp, correct?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Unless I'm mistaken, there is absolutely reason to get ANY Behringer amp, correct?

There is absolutely reason to get a Behringer.
Behringer Amps are a for sure no-no. But their mixers and whatnot are decent quality for a cheap price. You can't list the peak wattage on a mixer. haha

As for temperature? I live an hour from Phoenix, THAT is what you call hot. And an Indian summer? 90 degrees, a billion percent humidity, and insects wanting to drink your blood up the yin yang. So there you go
oh god hes done it again, humanity you have good times derailing threads dont you, even if tis about behringer amps.

as u can imagine the weather in england is nothing like america's
been alright this week, but its spring we deserve some sun every once and a while

actually, they probs are the worst amps ever

in answer the thread tho, just get a fender rumble or summit small or look at orange amps, some of them are desent

Behringer Amps are a Big NO!
The Gear:-
Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird
Ashdown Five Fifteen
Last edited by RawrrJammeh at Apr 9, 2009,
If you're looking for a small, cheap and reliable amp, then Peavey really tick the last box. Many attempts have been made to destroy my Microbass combo by both humans and animals, and it still works a charm. And they're cheap. The Peavey TOUR series below look pretty powerful for the money, but I can't vouch for them as I think they're new.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bass.gc?src=Peavey+combo

Quote by Mutant Corn
^ How did you practice in that? I thought it was tough practicing in near-freezing weather...

The cold stops the Behringer from combusting, but it still produces enough heat to keep the band warm as it tries to burst into flames...

Quote by IndianRockStar
And an Indian summer? 90 degrees, a billion percent humidity, and insects wanting to drink your blood up the yin yang. So there you go

Im on the receiving end of that at this very second. You neglected to mention the food that makes your nose bleed and eyes water, to rub in how excessively hot everything is... or maybe they only do that here in Hyderabad.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by JACK250
*sniff* anyone here smell smoke?

No but I smell a bunch of BS

Quote by goodlifebadlife
I have a Behringer amp, its ok. I dont unserstand why a lot of peple slag them of on these forums. Its seems to be the trend to talk crap about thunderbirds and behringers, sometimes I wonder how many people have tryed them out and how many people are just going along with the trend.

I brought my behringer because it was cheap and I needed something to be heard at smallish gigs, it did that. But you can probably get something better for your money. Try out a bunch of amps in your price range.

I would go out on a limb and say more than 75% of the people claming That Behringer amps suck have never played through one and just going along with the General census that Behringer equipment sucks.
I have a rackmount Behringer bass V amp Pro and a Behringer FCB 1010 Midi foot controller hooked to a Behringer power amp that is very reliable and sounds amazing.

Yes Behringer does reverse engineer other manufacturers equipment but so does Fender Gibson, Peavey and many other big name brand manufacturers but you never hear about them.
there are other brands on the market that are far worse than Behringer but I am not one to bash equipment unless I truly know it is a POS, one in particular that I can think of would be GK Backline I would choose a Behringer Bass amp any day over a GK Backline.
Behringer makes decent low bucks equipment that will hold together as long as it is not abused however in the same token there are better amps that are not much more expensive than Behringer.