Hey, I got myself a Snowball USB mic, less than 30 days ago over Amazon, and the quality on it is nice, but perhaps it could be nicer?

I was thinking of getting another Snowball mic (they're 70 bucks on there now), and trying for Stereo recordings. But then I remembered about the AT2020, which got me thinking.

Which would garner better sound quality, two snowball microphones for an extra 70 bucks, or going through the hassle of returning my current snowball and buying an AT2020 for an extra 30?

I can't find any reliable samples of AT2020 sound quality, but I've heard it's really nice for the price. I've also never heard it on a loud guitar amplifier, which is a bit worrying.

Ehh. Thanks.
Last edited by bored_1 at Mar 24, 2009,
If you are micing guitars and such you don't really need stereo mics...
I'm sure the AT2020 is a nice mic but I have not heard much about it. You may want to look it up at the studio-centrail.com forum.

I suggest going for a Studio Projects B1 which runs around $100 and has a great review.

Be aware that both are variable capacitance mics (Condensers) and will require phantom power to work.

It all comes down to what you will be using the mic with. One mic cant do everything...
Last edited by moody07747 at Mar 25, 2009,
Oh, right. Sorry.

I'll be using the microphone with mostly my acoustic guitar and my Crate V5 amp with a Telecaster. The amp doesn't get nearly as loud as most other amps, but it obviously can get loud enough to perhaps overload a microphone.

I also *may* use it for vocals and recording a full band (though I'm not expecting anything halfway decent from one mic).

I can't afford to buy a preamp and a microphone at this point, sadly.
I have heard good things about AT2020's, but I have never heard of this snowball thing?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I remembered reading a review in Recording Magazine for one of the Blue mics - Snowball, Blueball, whatever... can't remember exactly. I couldn't find it on line, but I found a review for the snowflake from Blue, as reviewed by them.

I highly respect the knowledge and balance of this magazine. I subscribed to them for years.

http://www.recordingmag.com/productreviews/2008/10/21.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm surprised that so few people have heard of the Snowball. I thought it was really popular. D:

Does anyone have any recordings made with the AT2020?
Although I haven't tried the Snowball I have yet to come across a Blue mic I didn't like. The Bottle and the Baby Bottle are great vocal mics (and the Baby Bottle is great for acoustic guitars as well). And the Ball, a phantom-powered dynamic mic!!!, is one of my favorite mics as a complement to a trusty SM57 on overdriven guitars. (I was surprised that it isn't in production any more.) Sadly my budget isn't what it used to be so I rarely get to play with mics as great as these...
With your description there, I think the mic I saw reviewed was the Blueball mic. I recall that they loved it on kick drum as well.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
On my profile there are two recordings I made with the Snowball microphone. If you could listen to the test, and see which microphone of the two sounds better, that'd help.