I am buying my first, either the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, or The Fender Mexican standerd Stratocaster... I cannot decide.. I want to play many genres, From Alternative, to hard rock, blues, and some Eric Clapton..... Pretty Much a Mix of Everything...
I havent got the time to try both guitars out... So just an OPINION from you guys.... Which should I get??? AND for the Amp... A Peavey Vypyr 30.

Prices At Guitar Center:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony $430

Fender Standard Stratocaster Brown Sunburst $450
Last edited by freshflip1322 at Mar 24, 2009,
i once had the same decision in front of me until i went i tryed the guitars for myself the les paul was just a better bet, esp if u got bigger hands and ur looking for a silky smooth neck
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Try them out again...or if you haven't, then try it out.
Both guitars are really versatile. It comes down to what feels better in your hands. We can't make the decision for you.

Edit: Clapton didn't use a Les Paul for very long in his career. Gibson-wise, he really used the SG and the ES-335. Fender-wise he used a strat. BUT, his strat has a midboost kit.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Mar 24, 2009,
I've never liked Epiphone Les Pauls. Compared to Gibsons that aren't crap caused by the current QC, they've just sounded boxed-in to me, so I'd go Fender. Plus I play pretty much everything on my strat(from metal to *shudders* pop) without a complaint besides the tremolo bar being too short, but it's a secondhand replacement bar, so take that as you will.

Asking between those two is rather wise of a gap though. Any particular tone(s) you're looking for TS?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Good Distortion, Clean,.. If thats what you mean by tone?

EDIT: also good leads..
Last edited by freshflip1322 at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by freshflip1322
Good Distortion, Clean,.. If thats what you mean by tone?

EDIT: also good leads..

...Erm, no, as in what kind of sound are you looking for? What songs, artists, etc.

Quote by necrosis1193
...Erm, no, as in what kind of sound are you looking for? What songs, artists, etc.

I already Posted That...
"I want to play many genres, From Alternative, to hard rock, blues, and some Eric Clapton..... Pretty Much a Mix of Everything..."
I meant are there any specific songs or artists you want to sound like besides Eric Clapton?

Alright then, which era? Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, solo?

Past about 1970: You want a strat.
Before 1970: you'll want an LP of some sort.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
MIM Standard HSS. The humbucker's tappable for the quack EC gets now, and the full bucker' should work for a lot of the Cream stuff(Albeit you'll need to get and roll the treble off a distortion pedal for the woman tone since there's no tone knob on the bridge pickup on a strat).

Quote by GuitaringMike
since i really hate les pauls id go strat

^^Because thats a great reason to choose one over the other.

Anyways, I think an HSS strat would be your best bet, more versatile than the Les Paul and it better suits your playing style. You have a Humbucker and Single Coils, the best of both worlds.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Gibson V
^^Because thats a great reason to choose one over the other.

Anyways, I think an HSS strat would be your best bet, more versatile than the Les Paul and it better suits your playing style. You have a Humbucker and Single Coils, the best of both worlds.

Or a LP and add a coil split feature... Works for me.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Get the strat. I have a 2002 MIM Sunburst Brwon strat and I love it. I also have an Aria pro II LP copy and I hate it. It plays good and I guess new pickups would make it about 100% better but I just love my strat.
its really all about what feels better to you. I know you said you can't try it, but **** man don't just throw away money based on other peoples opinions
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
MIM HSS strat for sure!
Best of both worlds as someone stated earlier.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I'd go with the Epi personally. I play a fender MIM strat right now, but only cuz my Epi LP's neck broke i half after dropping it (it's neck had broken once already and i'm too cheap to get it repaired again)

On second thought, the fenders neck has broken yet and those are easier to replace.....nope go with Les paul
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Last edited by saladforkspear at Mar 25, 2009,
You will want a HSS, mine cost me about 550 US dollars, but I also customed it a little bit. Favorite guitar I have ever played, the only guitar I have ever liked more is the Gibson Firebird Standard that they discontinued... The HSS has a similar sounding humbucker to that of the Epiphone LP, but also with the right pedals, can play metal very well, and because of the single coils is great for blues.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp