Im currently using .45 gauge Roto's on my bass but I notice that I either play too hard, making a clacking sound(like the string is hitting the fretboard at some point) or im playing too heavy/light strings.

Would heavier strings alleviate this problem, or do I just play too hard? I accidentily bought some .40 gauge strings but hated the feel, they felt much too thin for my taste.

The action isnt too low on my bass; there is very little or no buzz on the first fret and the neck has the correct curvature to it.
It could be technique, I had a similar problem until I started plucking correctly. I think you want to sort of push the string toward the fret board a little at the same time as plucking.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
if its a clacking sorta crackle sound you might be hitting the pups with the strings. i had that problem for a while.
if your pickups have metal contacts on them then you might get a "clacking" noise when you play with your amp, mine does that and its annoying
Destroy. Erase. Improve.

I am.
the adjusters on your bridge may be too low, causing the strings do hit against the fretboard when you play. easy fix just get an alan wrench and make then a little higher. that could be your problem.
Yes, I have done that, and it indeed, was incredible.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not there...

"Pursue Happiness, With Diligence"
The problem is in your technique. If you tamed your high end a little bit, it would help. I have a pretty tame high end and when I start playing really heavy and clacking the strings against the fretboard, it sounds fine.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it