Page 1 of 2
I hope this is the right section, it made the most sense to me when choosing where to post.

I am in the talks of getting together with this other guy to potentially form a death/black metal type of band. I am just looking into the future and wondering, do I really need a half stack or something larger to gig? I have an old school Peavey 150 watt amp, and was looking at some Marshall half stacks; but they were only running around 100 watts. I am starting to wonder, is this amp I have basically a half stack in terms of how loud it can go and power? It would be an easier decision if I was 1. older and not in college 2. semi-rich. I am just looking for anyone with experience using an amp like this while gigging or anyone capable of providing me any type of advice/information at all.

Thanks in advanced!
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
you dont need a halfstack....you can gig with a 5w tube combo if you want...just mic it.
150w should be good if the room aint like a concert hall
I play guitar.
My 75 watt Vypyr gigs fine without a PA. You'll be fine.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
From what I gather, your peavey is a solid state combo amp. The marshall stack is almost certainly using a tube head, so its 100w will be much louder the your peaveys 150w.

If your talking in terms of pure power, most places venues that youll actually need all of that kind of wattage for will have PA (in my experience). But my motto is that youll never say "Oh ****, I have way to much head room."

Im not 100% sure what else your asking though
150W should be plenty enough to gig with
Unless you're playing an arena...
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
the guitar accesories forum is a better option in my opinion a good valve combo should do the job i find that stacks are just for showing off and a pain to move and store since they are so big
It all depends where you are playing...

No matter where though, a 100w tube head through a 4x12 with always be more powerful than a 150w combo...

But do you NEED a half-stack?
Not unless you play huge venues and/or just hate miking your combo
There is no real difference in Volume between Halfstack, Stack and Combos.

There is a difference in tone. Halfstacks or Stacks in general tend to have more bass because of their closed back, something most combos don't have. IMO a Halfstack sounds way better then a 1x12combo does, but some people say they sound the same. I believe its up to you what you want to use.

Also, what most people believe is that a combo is easier to lug around. They are wrong. Since you're able to carry head and speakers seperatley the whole Halfstack thing is way easier to move, especially if you have the helping hands of a Bandmate. And a 2x12 tube combo is heavy as hell.

But you can always gig with a 1x12 or 2x12 combo.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by georgakis187
you dont need a halfstack....you can gig at any venue in the world with a 5w tube combo if you want...just mic it.

Fixed....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
im gunna say that probably 98% of gigs have PA's. as long as you mic your amp, you can use whatever you want. you could always get your own PA system as well. some people do that. we had a blues band come to my resturant and they had their own PA but they probably didnt really need it at all except for the singer....which may have been what they used it for. i was working so i didnt really see them much.
The vast majority of my gigs have been dome with my Yale 50w SS 1x12. That IS easier to move than anything. But the half-stack is good for the big gigs (mine's a tall 4x12, not square so it fits in the back of a hatchback). I doubt I'd bother with it if I had a >50w Valve combo, though.
Heavy? Yep and a folding trolley is a great invention. Mine can be 2 or 4 wheel and I will never again play the place with the metal spiral staircase.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

you don't need one but it's preferable (at least for me, I know there are plenty of people who disagree)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I look at amp size like I look at an engine size. It's better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. You can't put a price on headroom. My Peavey bangs at 120W with 4 Power Tubes and 6 Preamp tubes. There is not a stage in the galaxy too big for that kind of power. I've yet to crank it beyond 3.5.

Do I think there is such a thing as too much amp? Yes. 180 Watt Diezels, 200 Watt Thunderverbs and Randalls are too damn big..
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
no, I don't need a half stack to gig, I use a 5150 2x12 combo, I can barely every turn it past 1/2 way on stage, it is the freakin loudest amp ever... it is also heavy and I have dinged up the bumper of my benz multiple times after playing gigs trying to throw this beast in the trunk drunk with bitches hanging off me after shows...
status quo tour with 30w amps and they do stadiums. the bigger the venue the smaller the amp. makes the stage quiter so the monitor engineer has a easier job. and let the p.a do all the work for FOH
Yes!! There is a LOT to be said for not forcing the sound engineer to have to play the role of damage control.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

You'll be fine with smaller amps just hook it up to the PA. I made the mistake of jumping the gun and buying an MG
From past experience I can tell you that gigging with a combo amp works fine sound-wise; they'll be micing it anyway. But when someone sees you on a big stage with anything less than a half-stack, they see it as unprofessional and will think less of you.

Not saying I agree with that view, but a lot of people think that way.
If the sound engineer does get whiny, you can always turn the cab(s) away from the mics, or even move them offstage if'n you have a long enough speaker cable. The way I see it, if you're rocking in a venue larger than a bar, it pays to have extra volume. The crowd WILL pay attention, and making it impossible to talk over the music is a good way to facilitate this. If it's loud enough, you have no option but to listen to the music or leave, and if you're digging the music, you'll stay. It's about impact, also. I always want my guitar to pummel someone in the chest. If they want to hear the subtle nuances of the music, buy the damn CD. If they wanna rock, let me play as loud as I choose. I play shows for people who want to hear music. I'm not there to be a background soundtrack to a bunch of people trying to get drunk and laid.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
If the sound engineer does get whiny, you can always turn the cab(s) away from the mics, or even move them offstage if'n you have a long enough speaker cable. The way I see it, if you're rocking in a venue larger than a bar, it pays to have extra volume. The crowd WILL pay attention, and making it impossible to talk over the music is a good way to facilitate this. If it's loud enough, you have no option but to listen to the music or leave, and if you're digging the music, you'll stay. It's about impact, also. I always want my guitar to pummel someone in the chest. If they want to hear the subtle nuances of the music, buy the damn CD. If they wanna rock, let me play as loud as I choose. I play shows for people who want to hear music. I'm not there to be a background soundtrack to a bunch of people trying to get drunk and laid.

Good point about turning the amp away from the mic. But I totally disagree with playing too loud. Ideally you want people to enjoy seeing your show. If you play decent music, they will listen and dig it. If you play really loud, and they feel assaulted by too loud music, they will not enjoy it. There is a happy medium, and maybe you are talking about the same levels as me, but I hate going to shows and listening to bands that think they can make up for lack of ability with loudness. It is far too common imho.

For the OP, a half stack is nice, especially for metal, hard rock, etc, but not necessary. 150w is ridiculous, unless you are talking solid state. A SS amp with 150w is fine for pretty much anything. A tube amp only needs about 30-50w for any venue, unless you want to play really loud and really clean, like jazz or some blues. Even then 85-100 is more than enough for any venue. Any place bigger than you can reach with even a 15-20w tube amp (dirty) will have a PA.

As far as half-stack vrs single, double or combo, they are not really louder, they just move more air, you get a fuller sound. It is a different tone, but it won't be louder. You are way better off buying a quality tube combo or head and small cab than a mid/lower end SS stack for almost every type of music.

Tell us your budget, type of music (name some bands), skill level, use (home practice, rehearsal space/gigging)and location and you will get some great ideas of what to get.
Quote by Chetbango
Good point about turning the amp away from the mic. But I totally disagree with playing too loud. Ideally you want people to enjoy seeing your show. If you play decent music, they will listen and dig it. If you play really loud, and they feel assaulted by too loud music, they will not enjoy it. There is a happy medium, and maybe you are talking about the same levels as me, but I hate going to shows and listening to bands that think they can make up for lack of ability with loudness. It is far too common imho.

For the OP, a half stack is nice, especially for metal, hard rock, etc, but not necessary. 150w is ridiculous, unless you are talking solid state. A SS amp with 150w is fine for pretty much anything. A tube amp only needs about 30-50w for any venue, unless you want to play really loud and really clean, like jazz or some blues. Even then 85-100 is more than enough for any venue. Any place bigger than you can reach with even a 15-20w tube amp (dirty) will have a PA.

As far as half-stack vrs single, double or combo, they are not really louder, they just move more air, you get a fuller sound. It is a different tone, but it won't be louder. You are way better off buying a quality tube combo or head and small cab than a mid/lower end SS stack for almost every type of music.

Tell et, type of muus yoursic (name some bands), skill level, use (home practice, rehearsal space/gigging)and location and you will get some great ideas of what to get.

Yeah Im not talking like, retarded crazy loud. I agree that some bands make up for lack of live quality with sheer volume. Shinedown was a most recently observed example of this. From the moment they came out, they were so loud I could barely articulate which song they were playing. I had to put in earplugs just to hear the vocals. There's no way I would want to be that loud. I'm talking just loud enough where it thumps you upside the head and gives you that impression of force and presence.
I'd just go with a good tube (or even a good solid-state) head and a 2x12 cab.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i gigged in a medium sized hall with a 30 watt tube combo which cost me £150 and it worked fine.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I played a large outdoor festival with one of these puppies when I was 17. People said we were so loud they could hear us blocks away.

(a 10W SS Peavey Decade)

When we dropped a mic in front of it (the same we would have done with a full stack), it was every bit as loud as anyone playing with a 200W tube stack.

CT

Thanks for all these responses, pretty surprised by that.

Axemanchris, what type of music did you play out of that thing? 10 watts seems almost to small. Was it hooked to a PA system or something? I am still trying to understand all of the technical aspects of guitaring.

As far as my "money range" goes, I am fairly open to a lot of things. I could always finance (though, I would rather not). I just would need something that sounds good on stage and in a practice setting, with enough power for both.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Exactly.... we dropped a mic in front of it, just like you would in front of a full stack. With a full stack, you drop a mic in front of ONE of your eight speakers. With my little Peavey, we dropped a mic in front of ONE speaker. See?

We were doing covers..... keep in mind this was '87. Talk Dirty to Me by Poison, Smokin in the Boys Room by Crue, Money Money by Billy Idol, etc. and probably a couple of crappy originals. haha

CT

If you have a P.A you can gig with amps that range from 5w to 150w. I remember for one gig I had to use a Fender Rumble 30w BASS AMP, so it is was not very loud, for one gig and they mic'd it up and I was louder than my friend with a 120w halfstack. P.A's fix everything.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
nope definately not essential
150watts is definately enough
you could also buy a 2x12 cab with you amp if you want that bassier sound
not sure if thats more expensive but ive seen it done before
150 watts is just fine. Regardless of whether it's a combo amp or a stack.
150 watts is more than enough, I have a 30 watt combo and it can get crazy loud.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by ConfederateAxe

PREACH SISTA ! PREACH!
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
So the big question is: Will there be a PA?

Also I think it's a resounding no you don't need a half-stack
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
You don't need a half stack. But that's no reason not to buy one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
you don't need a halfstack to play gigs. the volume of a 50 watt combo and a 50 watt halfstack is almost the same. people can play quite large gigs with 15-30 watt tube amps because almost any venue where that's not big enough has a PA.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
You don't need a half-stack for gigs unless your playing stadiums. I've gigged with a 60 watt 1x12 Roland Cube just fine.
Page 1 of 2