From what it looks like, this is a compressor? If so, is it good one? If not, wtf is it?

PS can you reccomend me some good compressors? I've heard the Super/Dynacomp
is good, but I have no firsthand exp.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
compression in your rack/signal chain=supernoob.
not only is it going to **** up your sound, but your going to get completly lost in the mix. if your playing live, leave that stuff to the soundguy, or if your recording, use compression after youve recorded your guitar tracks so you can go back and change the desired amount of compression.
^Indeed to Ibanez Psycho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fatjizjyU&NR=1
It's nothing like a compressor, it'll help the tone just as a compressor can for your clean tone (in a differant way of course), but the Sonic Maximizer is really helpful for both cleans And the lead channel, where as Compression on heavy chug stuff usually doesn't sound good at all. Compression in mixing is much differant than a compressor in a pedal form for how it affects your live sound.
Last edited by bowen at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by HIM%(^
compression in your rack/signal chain=supernoob.
not only is it going to **** up your sound, but your going to get completly lost in the mix. if your playing live, leave that stuff to the soundguy, or if your recording, use compression after youve recorded your guitar tracks so you can go back and change the desired amount of compression.

Compression won't get you lost in the mix, you just don't like compressors.

plenty of guitarists still use Compressors on stage to even out the sound so that they don't get lost in the mix. Trey Anastasio (who lives to play live) uses a compressor all the time on his solos to even everything out. Tons of country players also use compressors to ad a little spank to their sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
Compression won't get you lost in the mix, you just don't like compressors.

plenty of guitarists still use Compressors on stage to even out the sound so that they don't get lost in the mix. Trey Anastasio (who lives to play live) uses a compressor all the time on his solos to even everything out. Tons of country players also use compressors to ad a little spank to their sound.

ok i guess i forgot to add the part about where i was talking about stuff in the hi gain area. also, imo, i find footswitchable compressors to be a waste of money. i prefer rackmount midi controlled compressors.
Quote by HIM%(^
ok i guess i forgot to add the part about where i was talking about stuff in the hi gain area. also, imo, i find footswitchable compressors to be a waste of money. i prefer rackmount midi controlled compressors.

yeah, but not everyone has a rack to mount said Compressor. an average compressor (let's say an MXR Dynacomp) with a few mods can sound amazing. those new Script compressors are fantastic.

but for high gain, compressors can kill your sound and take some edge off.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Also beware it can make your tone sound digitial pretty quick. Thats the reason I got rid of mine. Thought it was amazing until I started noticing how processed it sounded. And you can get the same tone if you know your way around a 10 band eq. So its not worth it in my opinion.