I've been watching a lot of covers on youtube lately and I've realize there are two types of covers..so...

When bands do covers, does it appeal more to you when they...
-Are as close to the real thing as possible.
-Or have a slight twist of their own style but still keep the essence of the song.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Well, say a Reggae band cover a Metal song, I'd expect them to play their own style.
It's a hard question!
depends on the song i think. some songs dont really lend itself to change. for example, id imagine if someone played stairway differently, it wouldnt seem right. but a lot of bob dylan songs are so simple that adding a new twist to them is almost always fine. his songs usually make great rock songs even though they werent intended to be. and sometimes, if you change a song too much, you may end up losing the overall emotion of the song.

so it really depends. but if i had to choose id say i prefer people who change it up a bit and make it their own. if they can pull it off, then it makes it soo much better usually.
Quote by Antimage27
I've been watching a lot of covers on youtube lately and I've realize there are two types of covers..so...

-Or have a slight twist of their own style but still keep the essence of the song.

Isn't that what your supposed to do?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
depends on the song i think. some songs dont really lend itself to change. for example, id imagine if someone played stairway differently, it wouldnt seem right.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOIy4Kb9M4&feature=related

*shudders*

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Either,as long as it sounds good.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
a cover with a poll.

to answer your question its better when they put their own twist on it, if they dont you might as well listen to the original.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
depends, if it's a cover band then in most cases it's best if they stick as colse to the original as possible.

If it's an original band they should put their own twist on it, or else it would be pretty pointless (unless they're just playing it to fill out a live set or something)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Antimage27

It has to be one or the other for me. It has to be either exact, or with a large twist. It can't have just a teeny twist or I can't listen to it.
There's no point in having it sound just like the original, I mean the original is already a song.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Children of Bodom mastered the cover....

made a full length CD of them

i love how they put their spin on it too...
ESP Alexi 600 and Father Marshall.............nuff said