So, ok, i have an SG Epiphone Special, an Ibanez Toneblaster 30X and a digitech DF-7 distortion pedal, and i just realized that my tone sucks, bad. The only decent distorted tone i can get is when i use the Boss Metal Zone on the DF7, but every other one souns like ****. I'm currently saving for an G&L Legacy and a Roland JC-120, but on the meanwhile, can you give me any advice on how to get a better tone with my current rig?

thx
█████████████████████████
Ok bro, half of your tone comes from your amp. I would say keep your pedals and try to get an amp with a really amazing clean tone to put your pedals over it. Good Luck
get a good cheap modeling amp.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
I'm not going to rant about getting a better amp since you said with this rig. But I will be honest, you won't get excellent tone.

The DF-7 is a tone sucker of sorts. Trust me I have one. It muddles the hell out of the original signal. I'd use the amps natural distortion on VERY low and then use the pedal to boost it. I don't know very much about that amp, but I'd use the tube screamer or maybe the ratt on a low gain setting. That's how I've gotten the best distorted tones. Back off the treble on the DF-7 and crank the mids a little too. It's a harsh pedal.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by slipknotrox
Ok bro, half of your tone comes from your amp. I would say keep your pedals and try to get an amp with a really amazing clean tone to put your pedals over it. Good Luck

Yeah, and with the JC-120, you have just that.
Weekend Warrior
are you eq'ing your amp? i realize now that up until last summer the only knobs i touched on my amp were gain and volume.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
2 things:

1) Ibanez Toneblasters are just terrible amps, and with two terrible pedals I don't see how you expect to get a great sound. Take the pedals out of your signal. Also, work on technique. Many people overlook how heavily technique influences your tone.

2) What kind of music are you playing? This could help us show you how to EQ your amp.
Quote by octavarium78
get a good cheap modeling amp.

absolutely no such thing. No such thing as a good modeling amp either. Yea everything Ibanez ( except for TS9 tubescreamer and AD9 analog delay) sucks. Just get a new amp maybe a Spider or idk Peavy?
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
are you eq'ing your amp? i realize now that up until last summer the only knobs i touched on my amp were gain and volume.

This is very important that you not only mess around with the tone tone controlls on your pedal when using it but also mess around with the tone controls on your amp because it works to equalize the pedals signal too.
Quote by brownsfan456
absolutely no such thing. No such thing as a good modeling amp either. Yea everything Ibanez ( except for TS9 tubescreamer and AD9 analog delay) sucks. Just get a new amp maybe a Spider or idk Peavy?

There are so many things wrong with this post i do not know where to begin.

No such thing as a good cheap modeling amp?
- Peavey Vypyr Series

No such thing as a good modeling amp at all?
- Line 6 Vetta II

Everything Ibanez makes exept for the TS9 and AD9 sucks?
- Ibanez makes significant guitars, great Wah pedals, and a damn good Tubed amplifier called the Thermion or something of the sort.

I would not recomend a Spider under about any circumstances.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by brownsfan456

Uh, take a look at Line 6 Vettas, Line 6 Flextones, and Axe FX Ultras.

Everything Ibanez sucks? Look at the Prestige Series, the S-series, and some of there pedals, then talk. They are very good guitars for what they do, and the TS808 is possibly one of the most popular pedals to date.

And then you suggest a Spider? Are you high?
i know toneblasters suck, and i just have one pedal, the digitech df-7 D:

Damn, i should have bought a Roland Cube

I play prog stuff like King Crimson and Rush, the easy buckethead/satriani stuff, and metal
One thing, after you get you pedal/amp thing figured, get new pickups for your guitar. First guitar I had was your Epiphone, second one I had was a Gibson SG Classic (I think?). Talk about a world of difference in tone, wow.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by MuffinBrain

I play prog stuff like King Crimson and Rush, the easy buckethead/satriani stuff, and metal

Then why are you looking into a JC-120? If your playing metal, shred, and progressive thats NOT the amp for you. I'd look at a Peavey XXX, Bogner Alchemist, ENGL Screamer 50, Mesa F-50, Mesa DC, and some Bugeras.
Quote by MuffinBrain

With the exeption of Satch me and you play the same music.
May i ask what your budget is?
i have the same problem as you, while i am saving for a good amp (vox ad50vt-xl), i still found my current tone sucks, so to make it suck less, i
1.) scooped out the mid (around 9o' clock)
2.) turned up the treble (between 2 and 4o'clock)
3.)turned down the bass just enough (around 10o'clock)
good luck!
ps. to make you feel better, my amp sucks even worse
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
You know, if you need a short-term fix for your tone that will extend into your new rig (once you have it, whatever it is), I'd reccommend an EQ pedal like the MXR 10-band. I had no idea what my tone was missing until I got this thing; it makes a pretty big difference in my rig, and you'd probably find good application for it.

It's a little pricey but it would be something you could use for any rig you end up with in the long run.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']With the exeption of Satch me and you play the same music.
May i ask what your budget is?

I startd saving not too long ago, i just have like $150 for the G&L Legacy, my dad is gonna pay the half of it though. For the amp, i'm thinking of getting a Roland Cube 30, and then get a Jazz Chorus

PS: I don't want to create a new thread, so i'all ask here, do you think a G&L Legacy Stratocaster is a nice guitar for prog rock-experimental-post rock oriented music? Cause that's the kind of music i want to create, and i have a HUGE love for stratocasters, and i know Lgacys are extremely versatiles guitars, but you guys usrely know more about guitars than me, so...
Last edited by MuffinBrain at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by MuffinBrain
I startd saving not too long ago, i just have like $150 for the G&L Legacy, my dad is gonna pay the half of it though. For the amp, i'm thinking of getting a Roland Cube 30, and then get a Jazz Chorus

PS: I don't want to create a new thread, so i'all ask here, do you think a G&L Legacy Stratocaster is a nice guitar for prog rock-experimental-post rock oriented music? Cause that's the kind of music i want to create, and i have a HUGE love for stratocasters, and i know Lgacys are extremely versatiles guitars, but you guys usrely know more about guitars than me, so...

The G&L is great for those genres, but didn't you mention metal earlier? You may want something with a humbucker for most metal... not to mention a JC-120 plus distortion pedals will be awful for metal. For everything else you listed that would work, but for metal look elsewhere.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
please answer the 2nd most important question below

what are you intending to change your tone for?

do you want to be able to play live shows?
or do you just want to practise at home?
or do you just want an amp that can do both?
do you want to, in the future, experiment with many different pedals?

(look, i know it's a little far fetched but just think about it: a mesa boogie dual rectifier has some brilliant tones but you probably wont be able to practise at home with it. A roland microcube is quite versatile put i doubt you'll ever be able to gig with it)

don't just have the mentality that "damn, toneblasters suck. damn, i have such a ****ty amp." make an intelligent plan for the future, yes?
Last edited by daryle_goh at Mar 26, 2009,
there is also controls on yer guitar which can vastly change tone

technique

ibanez rules!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i'm sorry, but this is totally off topic. i'll bring it back 'round, dont worry.

when you said you are saving up for a G&L Legacy, the first thing i thought was.

"Hi, this is Andy from pro guitar shop dot com. I'm playing on a G&L Legacy into a 65 Amp Soho."

now, on topic: i would start amp hunting first before anything else as many have said already in this thread.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i'm sorry, but this is totally off topic. i'll bring it back 'round, dont worry.

when you said you are saving up for a G&L Legacy, the first thing i thought was.

"Hi, this is Andy from pro guitar shop dot com. I'm playing on a G&L Legacy into a 65 Amp Soho."

now, on topic: i would start amp hunting first before anything else as many have said already in this thread.

"Later ill be plugging into a Les paul to get more of a humbucker feel so you can see what this pedals potential is with a thicker sound"
I thought the adsact same thing.

I really recomend the Amplifier first.
Maybe since you are just a begining guitarist you would be looking into a larger amp?
Id honestly say the Peavey Vypyr is a great amp for that use.
I own a 120 watt tube amp and i still want the Vypyr just so i can have all of what it has to mess around with and so i don't have to keep my Master Volume at 1 all day.