I'm having some problems/confussion with getting booked.
There is a show coming up the 11th and I called the number they had on the page for booking.

I called and left a message saying
Hi this is XXX from blahblahblah and I was calling about booking a show on the 11th at vps.

Then he called back and I said the same thing pretty much like
Hi I'm XXX from blahblahblah and I was calling about booking a show. You're from vps?
A short pause with no response and a hang up.

Amidoingitright?

And some guy says he could get me a show there on the 11th. He said he'll send the tix through email (?). I have to sell 18. I asked the other guy from a band who suggested the show about this and he said you just sell the tickets and at the day of the show you give them the money and play.
Does that seem legit or kinda like a scam? Am I missing something?
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Yeah, that's how all of the booking companies around here work. Only we usually have to sell 30-50 tickets. It really blows.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by COBHC728
Yeah, that's how all of the booking companies around here work. Only we usually have to sell 30-50 tickets. It really blows.

this x1000
It's how it works for us as well. We usually get given between 20-30 tickets (we can pick more up if we have more fans that want some) that we have to sell, and then you give the money from the ticket sales to the gig organiser.

It's legit.

-Guy
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by k.i.k.e.
what do u mean with getting booked?

booked as in planning to play a gig
Quote by Guy101
It's how it works for us as well. We usually get given between 20-30 tickets (we can pick more up if we have more fans that want some) that we have to sell, and then you give the money from the ticket sales to the gig organiser.

It's legit.

-Guy

and how do you make money off the gig?
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
yeah that's how it works but if you don't sell all of the tickets or if you lose some you might have to make up the difference. it's happened to me before. make sure you know every corner of it all before making the deal
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
Quote by Banana Man

after giving the money back to the pub/whatever owner
he would put aside some money made from sales on the night, extra ticket sold beer sold, but no matter what they will pay you but the main priority to get paid is the owner

being an original band starting out doesnt get paid much but you have to be persistant and no what you doing to get bigger, through promotion and selling youself
Quote by Banana Man

Well, we don't really. I mean we could but, hmm let me explain:
In this particular situation, tickets cost around £7 on the door on the night, we get given X amount of tickets, and are told that we must make at least £5 per ticket to give back to the gig organiser, anything else we can keep. So if we charge £7 we keep £2 per ticket. But tbh, we just appreciate the fact that people are paying to come and see us in the first place, and we kinda feel like it'd be ripping off fans and friends, so we just charge £5 for the tickets we sell. It keeps everyone happy

Don't expect to earn money from gigging for a while until you're a fairly established band in your area, you start making money when people are booking you, not the other way around.

-Guy
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
yeah a lot of venues will say you have to sell X number of tickets to be able to play, but really you could sell 1 or 2 and theyd still let you play. i mean, youd go on first but whatever. until you get yourselfs established you cant sell any tickets. theres been times that my band has bought 10-15 of the tickets ourselves and handed them out at the door.

and you probably wont get paid like everyone else said. but if youre in it for the money then just hang up your gear right now.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate