Prince is of course the greatest guitarist of all time. So why oh why is he never in any of the top 100 lists that ive seen?

Ok, he may not be the best in other peoples opinion, but he certainly is brilliant. Playing a musical instrument is not just about being technical, and at the end of the day technicality doesnt even matter at all if you cant be expressive. But, he is very good technically, and hes extremely expressive, and he can play in many styles very fluently.

My theory is that his image overshadows his talent. But still, thats no excuse to not acknowledge his great talent.

So why is he overlooked? I demand answers now, goddammit.
I think you nailed it with your theory of image overshadowing talent in many eyes. I can dig Prince, and I think Purple Rain is one of the most awesome, quintessentially 80's movies out there; I also think he's very talented. Some will agree, some won't, it doesn't matter. Another thing that doesn't matter are lists ranking the greatest guitar players.
cuz hes black in america?
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
well, Prince has got some sweet playing going on, but when you start to focus yourself as a music icon and singer, you lose the focus of being a guitar player.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
What i dont understand is what is in the minds of those who make these lists? If its talent, then he should be there, if its expressiveness, then he should be there too. Same with versatility. Its not that it bothers me in itself because i do acknowledge him, its just a mystery as to why others dont. Its seems like these are just lists of metal/rock heads' favourite guitarists, rather than a real representation of the best guitarists out there. Prince kicks ass. He should be in the top 50 at least.
Prince is a great guitarist yes... Top 100, probably, his versatility speaks volumes. He's certainly an expressive player and I like him a lot more than the people that constantly get ranked really high on those lists. I think it's mainly due to he's iconic image as a pop star...

Put on probably the best super bowl halftime of the latest batch too.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Mar 24, 2009,
I get that, but still, it shouldnt matter how hes perceived as an artist, if youre going to make a list of guitarists, then that should be the focus. I find it so weird how his image gets in the way. It shouldnt. And even if youre going to think about image, what comes to mind when one thinks about Prince? A guitar, of course. Its like Michael Jackson. Hes a brilliant singer, but dancing is what generally comes to mind with him.

I think that theres a white boy conspiracy going on. Im kidding, i know Jimi's there somewhere.
Last edited by leafarmusic at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by leafarmusic
Prince is of course the greatest guitarist of all time.

Bull****! No offense to your tastes, but he is not the greatest guitarist of all time. Neither is Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Satriani, Govan, Lane, Vai, Cooley, SRV, or whoever else people constantly call the 'best guitarist alive'. I understand that you would like to see your idols recieve some more recognition, but do these lists really matter? I think you will find that alot of these seem to be written by non-musicians that just want to show how cool their tastes are.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Bull****! No offense to your tastes, but he is not the greatest guitarist of all time. Neither is Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Satriani, Govan, Lane, Vai, Cooley, SRV, or whoever else people constantly call the 'best guitarist alive'.

That'd be a bit difficult considering at least two of them are dead, but I dig your point.

I understand that you would like to see your idols recieve some more recognition, but do these lists really matter?

Again, I agree. These lists are nothing more than popularity lists, it has nothing to do who's more talented etc. Prince doesn't play the type of music you'd normally expect a guitar player to shine out in. His skills are there to be seen but I suspect only by other musicians or aspiring musicians like ourselves.
Basically, just ignore best guitarist lists. It's a silly concept in first place and it gets downright stupid when you try and put them in order.

/closed btw, rant threads aren't really on and this isn't the forum for it anyway.