Hey,
Basically my question is, can the frequencies of my 8-string guitar damage normal amplifiers?
I wouldn't have thought so since its still operating in guitar frequencies as far as I'm aware, but I would really like a properly educated opinion on it before I go and damage anyone's amp.
For those who are unaware, the lowest string is F# and it's got EMG808's in, so the pickups are designed for the frequencies.

Cheers!
- Mike
https://lysithea.bandcamp.com

"I have seen the dark universe yawning
Where the black planets roll without aim,
Where they roll in their horror unheeded,
Without knowledge or lustre or name."
Last edited by TheOutlawTorn at Mar 24, 2009,
That F# might be pushing it a bit as I have witnessed guitar amps be smitten by the amp gods for using them with a bass guitar, and that 8th string is only 2 semitones higher so I would definitely get an amp that's built to handle the low frequencies.
Oh no, Your guitar amp can totally handle this, I've played in F standard on my 6 string for a long while.
Quote by Bree!Bree!
Oh no, Your guitar amp can totally handle this, I've played in F standard on my 6 string for a long while.

F standard?!?!?!

holy hell.

the heaviest ive ever even heard of is g#

wow.

win.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
^
By F standard you mean tune up a semitone or down 11 semitones? Because there's a big difference in that and I've never heard of downtuning to F before.
I've heard of a couple of bands tuning to F standard on a 6 string but personally it seems kind of extreme...maybe tuning that low on a 7 but a 6 is just insane! Gotta give him credit for doing things a little differently though

So there seems to be a little bit of a mixed opinion on here and a few other places I've read on the net. Some people seem to think its risky but some say that although its only 2 semitones away from bass tuning its a little different because its still within guitar frequencies since its not actually pushing the frequencies as low as a bass does.

Is there anyone who has a relatively definitive answer? To me it seems as if it should be fine, since i can't find any evidence of anyone blowing up an amp with one, or even damaging an amp. I'd just really like a concrete idea!

Email the makers of the guitar?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I don't know but maybe if you research what other 8-string players use that might give you a clue. For example, find out what guitarists like Rusty Cooley, Dino Casarez and Fredrik Thordendal use.
By the way, what guitar is it?
judging by the 808 pickups, hes probably getting the schecter c-8
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
no offense to TS, but i dont see the point in having a low F#.
in metal, its useful......i guess, but for the stuff i play a low F# is a bass note lol.

i want to buy an 8 string guitar with a low B string and a high A string.
just like chris ltchford of scale the summit. (but he tunes the highest string to G)
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Nah, the Ibanez RG2228, it comes with the 808s.
Yeah, some people think the F# is pointless, some people think its just plain wanky, some are indifferent and the rest who use them just want them as an extra texture to the music. They've got the same stigma that 7-string guitars had in the 90's. Hey, who cares though, if its your thing then awesome but if not stick with a 6 or 7, I've only got the 8 currently but that's cause i had to sell my 6's to get it. I'm gonna get a Schecter 7-string and a really nice PRS or something similar in a 6 string, just so I've got the the 3 guitars for whatever I need them for.
What you were saying about the extra high string is a really good point, it'd be cool to try one although I prefer the low F# just because it's what I would have more use for in my Post-Rock and Doom Metal stuff.

I had a look into amps, Meshuggah just use some Line-6 heads and amps, nothing that appears out of the ordinary as for using with 8-strings but then their equipment is rather expensive and I'm talking in terms of normal, affordable amps to the normal person...I am a student after all, I'm speaking more along the lines of a Line-6 Spider or something (off the top of my head, I don't have an amp currently cause I blew mine at a gig about a year ago, just happened from age, was a Marshall VS100)

There is no issues with running 8 strings through conventional guitar setups, all you will need to do is accomodate for the change of timbre with your EQ, and slightly alter the way you play, powerchords around the F#/G/G#/A tend to get very muddy.

Any more questions just let me know
Man, I tried that Ibanez RG 8 string at the music store not too long ago. I think if you go down too low on that sound register it just turns into a wall of sound in the mix. Especially with distortion, it just doesn't sound like strings anymore but a rumble. This is my opinion.
Thanks so much for the advice and information, that's really helpful!
Yeah, it does tend to sound really muddy unless you up the string gauge. I worked on a custom gauge and got it all sorted, basically as long as you string it with (at the very least) .11 on the bottom to round a .80 on the thickest string, it cleans up the definition of the lower register a LOT. I've been playing it only through my Toneport/POD and a few really nice amp simulators through a really powerful set of computer speakers, so that's why I was inquiring about amps because I want to check before I went and bought/tried one out.
So yeah, basically up the string gauge and it's sweet, though i agree it sounds awful in guitar stores. Also, strangely, when I first tried it out at the store they had all of them tuned down a whole step it sounded awful! It must've been for transportation purposes that they hadn't fixed (or just that they're an incompetent bunch of music retailers rather than musicians).

Anyway,
Thanks guys!

Quote by TheOutlawTorn
Nah, the Ibanez RG2228, it comes with the 808s.
Yeah, some people think the F# is pointless, some people think its just plain wanky, some are indifferent and the rest who use them just want them as an extra texture to the music. They've got the same stigma that 7-string guitars had in the 90's. Hey, who cares though, if its your thing then awesome but if not stick with a 6 or 7, I've only got the 8 currently but that's cause i had to sell my 6's to get it. I'm gonna get a Schecter 7-string and a really nice PRS or something similar in a 6 string, just so I've got the the 3 guitars for whatever I need them for.
What you were saying about the extra high string is a really good point, it'd be cool to try one although I prefer the low F# just because it's what I would have more use for in my Post-Rock and Doom Metal stuff.

yeah, i was just saying my opinion, if you guys wanna use 8 string go right ahead.
im just saying i personally dont think playing an 8 string would be benificial to my music.

like ive said before, music is what you want it to be.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Hey this thread had really good information because i just got a Schecter Hell-raiser C-8 and was wondering if i should get a different amp that could handle lower frequencies. But the one i have right now is sounds fine and i have been using it with the C-8 for a month or two.
Yeah, it was really good getting some answers. It seems like the final verdict is a little split down the middle...some wouldn't try it and some say its fine.
In think in the end, judging by all the hunting I've done on the net, it comes down to the fact that it's fine through any amp provided you're not using a small practice amp. Basically, it seems to operate within an acceptable guitar range so I'm pretty happy with the decision to just use it through any amp...seems to be working just fine

If you are doing 8 string stuff, you must check out Charlie Hunter if you haven't yet. He tunes his 8 string E-A-D-A-D-G-B-E. The bottom three are bass notes and the top five are strings 5-1 of a standard guitar. I know his guitar has two inputs, and that he uses a Bass Amp for the lower strings, and a guitar amp with a leslie or rotary type of effect for more of an organ sound for his top 5.

His guitar is by Novax. http://www.novaxguitars.com
if you had loads of cash, you'd get custom cabs which switch frequencies for them low notes, but thats only for like gigging musicians who need a UBER good setup. a normal guitar amp should suit it fine.
I dunno if it's different.

Speakers are basically the same right?

I'm pretty sure that distortion ****s up ur amp more then those bass frequencies, since distortion is literally cranking the power up that ur speakers break up (power amp distortion) or if ur preamp is overloaded (preamp/standard distortion).

As a matter of fact, Eddie van Halen blew many guitar amps, because he pushed them to hard.

That's why in these times, most amps work with preamp distortion, to save the speakers, but some people swear by power amp distortion.

That's also why people use higher wattage amps. They give more headroom, and "low volume" on for example a half stack of 100 watt is loud, but this uses less power, so the amp can handle higher volumes better.

I think bass amps are designed to handle the power better, hence why they overall have more wattage then a guitar amp.

Other then that, no ur guitar amp won't break. Maybe at max gain it could, but your ears would cringe first before the amp breaks.

You also have octave pedals that add lower frequencies to the sound, and amps don't break for this.

Every amp can break at any frequencies if it's to much. IF you run a "normal" guitar through an amp that has all the knobs set to 10 (eq, gain, volume etc.) then ur amp would break also (in time)

A guitar is also passive, so it doesn't have much influence either.

If you just cut out the bass a bit (which you have to do anyway, because bass on 7+ and a guitar with low tuned strings will sound **** and sloppy anyway), and because ur a guitar, the bass is generally not very high.

tl;tr

If you don't play ur amp at 8 or higher and keep the bass down a bit, you'll be fine.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 2, 2009,
ive been wondering this myself .. but as for tuning goes. .ive been tuning down to E for years now on my 7 strings and 6 strings .. . no problems .. and i love it no mud at all .. just nice disgusting lows that will cause abortions and raise the dead .. but iv always tuned super low. . .
Quote by TheOutlawTorn
Hey,
Basically my question is, can the frequencies of my 8-string guitar damage normal amplifiers?
I wouldn't have thought so since its still operating in guitar frequencies as far as I'm aware, but I would really like a properly educated opinion on it before I go and damage anyone's amp.
For those who are unaware, the lowest string is F# and it's got EMG808's in, so the pickups are designed for the frequencies.

Cheers!
- Mike

i think it should be fine, but i also think a bass amp would sound better overall for that kind of thing. ive played a bass through a guitar amp plenty of times and it didnt ruin it if thats what you are thinking. it wont "blow up" like some say. i would get a little worried though playing at loud volumes. honestly, i dont know what would happen. something tells me no physical damage will happen but it will sound like shit. i could be wrong about the damage though. you could blow a speaker maybe or some tubes but i dont know for sure.

anyways, my overall opinion is that you should be fine, but an amp designed for low frquency playing would probably have a better tone. hell, even a regular guitar through a bass amp sounds good. the fender bassman is an example of a bass amp that a lot of guitarists use. if you dont want to get another amp, perhaps get a new speaker thats built to handle lower frequencies better.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 13, 2010,
This thread is z0mg 9 months old.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??