K. So the Line 6 Spider III 75 isn't exactly the greatest sounding amp out there.

I have been looking at the Peavey Valveking half-stack, but decided to look more into my price range.

Peavey Valveking 112 combo amp...

A good upgrade to tube amps while I dream about the half-stack?

Looking for a solid 80's metal sound.
why needs you said halfstack?

the VK 112 is a great tube amp to start with. sounds good stock, but with minimal modifications can sound great. throw an OD in front (or by itself, i'm not sure how far it can go) and you should easily get that 80's metal tone.
From the owner of a valveking it will do....but it will take more work than it's worth to get it the sound good. Do you care about cleans? The windsor with a nice OD could do it for a halfstack for you.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059

What is your budget? The JCM series could do it for you. The JCM-800 used to be affordable, but it's getting more expensive now.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Skierinanutshel
why needs you said halfstack?

the VK 112 is a great tube amp to start with. sounds good stock, but with minimal modifications can sound great. throw an OD in front (or by itself, i'm not sure how far it can go) and you should easily get that 80's metal tone.

Yeah I planned on replacing the tubes immediately on purchase.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
From the owner of a valveking it will do....but it will take more work than it's worth to get it the sound good. Do you care about cleans? The windsor with a nice OD could do it for a halfstack for you.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059

What is your budget? The JCM series could do it for you. The JCM-800 used to be affordable, but it's getting more expensive now.

I should have been more specific. I play a variety of music from blues, to classical. Cleans are a must along with good distortion.
yes, get the valveking... it's a great amp

you don't need a halfstack, nobody does. This is somewhat hypocritical because i have one, but that's only because i got it for 38 dollars and so it was cheaper for me to just get the head version of my amp. I'm going to downsize to a 1 speaker cab though soon. With what i've discovered, halfstacks are big, heavy, and unnecessary because the volume of a combo amp is the same as the halfstack.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Budget??

the valveking is not the best choice for 80's metal (thinking about thrash). but with mods (can be expensive) it can easily do that.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
yes, get the valveking... it's a great amp

you don't need a halfstack, nobody does. This is somewhat hypocritical because i have one, but that's only because i got it for 38 dollars and so it was cheaper for me to just get the head version of my amp. I'm going to downsize to a 1 speaker cab though soon. With what i've discovered, halfstacks are big, heavy, and unnecessary because the volume of a combo amp is the same as the halfstack.

too true, i've got a vk 112 and i easily match the other guitarists volume in my band, and he has a half stack as well. its too hard to get around for practice while mine is easily carried. and i've really tweaked the eq on my vk and it gets great tone, i just have that $50 boss od pedal for boosts during solos.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Budget??

the valveking is not the best choice for 80's metal (thinking about thrash). but with mods (can be expensive) it can easily do that.

500 usd or less.

It's decided though. I'll get the VK 112.

Thanks guys.
dude get something small with a 4x12 cab. it bumps so much better and really makes a difference
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga