I've been thinking about new gear, and I've come up with what I think I need. I'm going for Cream, Zeppelin, and Nirvana. A Tool and GnR Slash tone would be bonus, but not the main objective. The new gear I might be getting is as follows:

Blackstar HT-5 head $299.99
Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with 2 greenbacks. $180. this is from craigslist.
Boss DS-2 $79.00
some sort of EQ pedal ????
Ibanez GRG170DX (already have this)
Boss DD-7 (already have this)
Dunlop Crybaby (already have this)

Total cost: $558.99

Thanks for all the suggestions in my previous threads. If you have any recommendations or critiques please post them.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Last edited by TDS at Mar 25, 2009,
head is good
cab i dunno
change the DS-1 in to a Tubescreamer or a clone
the EQ is an MXR 10-band
and add an ISP Decimator to cancel the unwanted noise

and a korg pitchblack tuner
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
if u WANT an eq:

Budget:Fish n Chips
Budget not a problem: MXR 108 10-band
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
By new, I hope you mean used; you can save a lot of money.
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
head is good
cab i dunno
the EQ is an MXR 10-band
and add an ISP Decimator to cancel the unwanted noise

first - just being obnoxious - get a Crunch Box instead. actually, do this anyways.

second - with the amount of gain he is looking for, feedback should not occur that much, and can be easily handled with rolling back on the volume knob while not playing (and also much wanted for much of nirvana-esque playing).
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 24, 2009,
^ well i think its much better if he boost the overdrive channel of the amp rather than using a distortion pedal
i didnt think about the second one though
foar moi...........
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
head is good
cab i dunno
the EQ is an MXR 10-band

a 2x12 with greenbacks for under $200 isn't good for cream, zep, and slash tone?
Dumbass.

There's no need for a pedal tuner unless you're going to be gigging, which you shouldn't be with a 5W amp to begin with.

You need a ds-1 for nirvana.

You might not even need an eq pedal, try the amp first
Quote by pak1351
a 2x12 with greenbacks for under $200 isn't good for cream, zep, and slash tone?
Dumbass.

There's no need for a pedal tuner unless you're going to be gigging, which you shouldn't be with a 5W amp to begin with.

You need a DS-2 for nirvana.

You might not even need an eq pedal, try the amp first

i used to be into them. it was a "phase" thing for me more than anything else.

and, also, what about a chorus? a good cheaper analog is the EHX small clone, although voodoo makes some serious good pedals, although i'm in a particular persuasion towards the Homebrew electronics THC myself.
I don't doubt you've done your homework on your new gear selections, but you might want to rethink your head choice. I've heard a lot of stories of transformer problems with the HT-5's, it's actually why I didn't get one.

I also hear about HT-5's that turn out perfectly fine and perform exceptionally well. So, like anything, I guess there are just some bad ones.

Just wanted to give you fair warning, I don't mean to try to change your mind or anything.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
That "The Button" pedal looks excessively epic, but its way out of budget, unfortunately. I won't be buying any pedals that aren't necessary for my sound (chorus, tuner, phaser etc) until I can recover my funds at a later juncture. I'll probably wait to buy an EQ until have a chance to play around with the amp a but. I should have stated that this is for personal use, with no gigging in the foreseeable future.

I'm looking at the distortion pedals recommended- Crunch Box, DS-1, DS-2. Of the three, the Crunch Box looks to be the best based on features. The DS-2 seems to be a DS-1 with another level of distortion on it. The DS-1, I'm guessing, is your standard entry level distortion pedal. Should my priority be Crunch Box-->DS-2-->DS-1?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
the ds-2 is what cobain used.

The crunchbox is a higher end distortion pedal, ask skierinanutshell about his, or listen to some sound samples on proguitarshop.com or youtube, and compare it to the ds-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdoq7FmLhQ

Maybe look into a tonebender clone (fuzz) for zeppelin, and you could probably use it for cream as well.
A Tonebender sucks for Cream tones, covers about 3 Zeppelin songs as well. No need for one unless you're after that specific Zeppelin tone; Dazed and Confsued, How Many More Times and You Shook Me and most live tones up through June '69. It's not very versatile without mods.
Quote by pak1351
the ds-2 is what cobain used.

Kurt used a DS-1 to record and tour for Bleach, he used a DS-2 to record Nevermind (except for Lithium, which was a Big Muff) and toured with the DS-2. In Utero was recorded with a DS-2 and Tech21 Sansamp, he had both on his pedalboard but pretty much only used the Sansamp for the tour.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
well i dont know anything about Nirvana except kurt uses a small clone.
feel free to add me