Good *insert time of day at your current location at the moment*, bass forum.

I have come to the realization that I cannot read standard notation for bass AT ALL. If I were to dedicate a little bit of time each day towards learning this skill, what benefits would I get out of it?

In what genres is being able to read standard notation important? I am just beginning to play jazz; will learning to read help me in playing with other jazz musicians? I also like playing your standard 4/4 rock songs, but I also really like playing progressive rock and metal where the time signature is changing constantly.

In what settings would you say standard notation is almost a must, and on the other side, where will you rarely find people playing a genre that read music?
Reading notation is very important in jazz. I think it's very important in all music because, even if you're not reading notation, being able to read notation lends itself to a better understanding of music in general. My lead guitarist is really good but has trouble with certain rythms. Whenever me and my brother(rythm guitar,vocals) try to explain a rythm to him he gets lost because he doesn't understand what we're talking about. He often says he wished he would've learned this stuff when he started playing guitar. He managed to get by for 20years without learning it, but he wishes he had learned it.

I'd say that rock/metal would be the most common genres to find people who can't read standard notation. People just wanna rock! ya know?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 24, 2009,
It would never be not useful. If you want to play jazz or take music seriously you may as well do it. I think I maybe should take some time and learn how to read. Right now my reading is piss poor. Plus it would just make you a better musician.
playing jazz most definitely or if you do session work. i never thought being able to read standard notation would help me but because i am able to, ive been asked to play bass lines for multiple school productions
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
And on the point of learning it. I've found the best way to teach someone standard notation seems to be to ask them to tab out a song and give them the standard notation. as long as they know their notes they can figure it out. the more you do this the faster you will be able to tell what note is what on the staff. And of course you have to try and play songs just using the notation.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
And on the point of learning it. I've found the best way to teach someone standard notation seems to be to ask them to tab out a song and give them the standard notation. as long as they know their notes they can figure it out. the more you do this the faster you will be able to tell what note is what on the staff. And of course you have to try and play songs just using the notation.

I am somewhat confused: do you mean give the student the standard notation, and have him/her write that out in tab?
Look at it this way--you will be able to pick up any piece of music and play it. Period. To me that is a useful skill.

Get a good simple bass method book, like Hal Leonard or Mel Bay and just work at it. Its like learning a new language, a bit hard at first for most people, but with some concerted effort you'll get there
Quote by pepsi_lovr
I am somewhat confused: do you mean give the student the standard notation, and have him/her write that out in tab?

that's exactly what i mean. It will be slow work at first. But over time the person will be able to simply look at the note and know where to play it. Of course i forgot to mention that you had to teach them what each line of the staff is.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian